New Questyle CMA400i
May 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #590 of 1,014
Dragonfly does noy have enough juice to push HD650... I never said I compare 400i to Dragonfly.

Yes, yes, you did and even used the word the "comparing". Literally, it was one of the two DACs you answered the question with. I asked what DAC you used before that doesn't exaggerate the HD650's shortcomings. This is what you said:

I am comparing to Audio GD and DragonFly...

So yeah, things aren't exactly adding up, but again I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you didn't understand the question or maybe you didn't answer it in the best way.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #591 of 1,014
Yes, yes, you did and even used the word the "comparing". Literally, it was one of the two DACs you answered the question with. I asked what DAC you used before that doesn't exaggerate the HD650's shortcomings. This is what you said:

So yeah, things aren't exactly adding up, but again I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you didn't understand the question or maybe you didn't answer it in the best way.

I probably used a wrong word. I meant Audio GD of course. My main DACs before getting 400i were Audio GD and Dragonfly. But Dragonfly is for on the go listening for iPhone with earbuds and IEMs. Certainly not for DH650. Sorry if it was confusing.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #592 of 1,014
Ah, peace has returned! :darthsmile:
Now back to CMA400i, anyone has tried using it in combination with a different dac ?

May 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #594 of 1,014
Now back to CMA400i, anyone has tried using it in combination with a different dac ?

Unfortunately one cannot. It has no analog inputs. That’s one of the limitations of it against its older sibling, the CMA600i, which has analog inputs so you can use it solely as an amp.

May 20, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #595 of 1,014
No, but I have played with the CMA400i's DAC with my brother's Schiit Valhalla 2 and it was OK. Didn't spend too much time with it but it didn't sound better than his Modi 2.

I also just pulled the trigger on the HD660S. Has anyone heard the CMA400i with the HD660S? Now to sell my HD6XX...

Unfortunately one cannot. It has no analog inputs. That’s one of the limitations of it against its older sibling, the CMA600i, which has analog inputs so you can use it solely as an amp.

Forgive me for my ignorance but couldn't the CAM400i use a DAC with Digital Outs?

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #597 of 1,014
Forgive me for my ignorance but couldn't the CAM400i use a DAC with Digital Outs?
The only digital out on the CMA400i is the SPDIF output. It's true that that could output a digital signal to another DAC. So you could do something like PC USB out -> Questyle USB in -> Questyle SPDIF out -> other DAC SPDIF in. But using it like this just makes it into a really expensive USB to SPDIF converter...

May 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #598 of 1,014
The only digital out on the CMA400i is the SPDIF output. It's true that that could output a digital signal to another DAC. So you could do something like PC USB out -> Questyle USB in -> Questyle SPDIF out -> other DAC SPDIF in. But using it like this just makes it into a really expensive USB to SPDIF converter...
Maybe he meant digital outs from another dac to cma400i's digital inputs..?

May 21, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #600 of 1,014
Anyone else also rocking the clear top?

I was. But since there is almost non EMI shield with this plastic cover, I put back my CNC metal cover to protect the whole circuit inside and to get 100% of performance from the device. In the night, red light from LEDs on PCB was also too strong for my eyes.

Second benefit of having standard cover mounted is better heat spreading from the board (plastic works more like thermal insulation than the radiator) - it is only fancy during some audio shows but after a while on your desk, it is just boring and annoying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back