New Questyle CMA400i
May 29, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #631 of 1,014
Is it good idea to buy cma400i if only use in single ended mode? Is there any other benefit other than power difference using an amp in balanced mode specially does it affect the sound signature?

I even prefer SE output + in "STANDARD" gain mode it was able to drive fostex T50RP mk3 like hell (these are one of the most current demanding headphone ever, have a look at their sensitivity and max input power). Even though I have balanced cables for all my headphones, I prefer somehow using SE output, it is like more refined and focused with better and smooth low end. But it might be my imagination here. Both output are very similar regarding the sound signature if not the same. The difference is in voltage = 2X in balanced, so power = 4X for the same impedance (U^2/R). That's why you have 1W per channel in SE mode and almost 4W in BALANCED (according to the manual).

A few days ago I auditioned even 600Ohm T1 V2 limited black edition and cma was able to drive them like beast even when listening to classical recordings with low average level (but the volume pot had to go for like 3-4 o'clock sometimes, still with no hint of distortion from the amp). It was a top notch pairing with a lot of superb sound, highest recommendation. Maybe I would like to have a bit longer decay during piano notes when listening to classical or jazz (that's why I love cheaper T90 Jubilee, still with TESLA drivers). Otherwise these are fast as hell with punchy bass and natural sound.

I also audtioned fostex h610 - what an amazing synergy. HD600 just because of curiosity - not getting the potential of them. I would not pair it with hd6xx line. I know what these are capable in some headphone rigs but it's just not there with cma - it was just like so so (maybe like 50% of capabilities, nothing special about the combo).

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #632 of 1,014
Questyle cma 400i has fully balanced amp section but it doesn't mention about dac section. They're using only one AKM AK4490 DAC chip which is two channel dac chip. Isn't it necessary to have two of these or one 4 channel dac chip to have fully balaned dac section?

Yes, it would need 2, 2-channel DAC chips to be a balanced DAC section. The Benchmark DAC3 uses 4 per side, 8 in total! Some more expensive products take it to the extreme of 'dual mono', where it's literally two different circuits for L/R, even with separate power supplies.

@Suppa92 i guess so.

Anybody tried the Fostex T60RP with the Questyle? There are fully balanced cable available too and the have a max input of 3Watts so looks like a sweet combo. I ordered one, but the balanced cable is too expensive for now.

The T60RP does benefits from balanced amping, it's power hungry for sure. I've tried it with the balanced cable but I didn't go as far as A/Bing single versus balanced.

Is it good idea to buy cma400i if only use in single ended mode? Is there any other benefit other than power difference using an amp in balanced mode specially does it affect the sound signature?

Absolutely! Questyle designed the CMA400i as a great value DAC/amp with all user types in mind - hence the various outputs and gain settings. The main thing you get with any Questyle amp is the current mode design. That offers something unique regardless whether you choose single ended or balanced connection.

Good question, straight answer YES. I really didn’t A/B on SE vs balanced but ... maybe, just maybe, balanced seems a bit brighter. Lately I've been listening my Focal Clears out of the SE and that seems just perfect for longer listening sessions.

Clear + CMA400i is a great combo. The included balanced cable (unless you buy Clear Pro for red/black colour preference) gives you all you need to make the most of both. :)

May 29, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #633 of 1,014
@esauseesaw

Could you contact somehow questyle because they haven't answered any of my questions and ask them about firmware update that fixes the bug with usb/optical switching - muted sound after ? Is the firmware upgrade for cma400i using USB input possible ? Or do we have to send the units to the questyle to fix this issue ? As far as I know, a lot of people here has the same problem (not a big deal to perform power cycle but still).

May 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #634 of 1,014
@esauseesaw

Could you contact somehow questyle because they haven't answered any of my questions and ask them about firmware update that fixes the bug with usb/optical switching - muted sound after ? Is the firmware upgrade for cma400i using USB input possible ? Or do we have to send the units to the questyle to fix this issue ? As far as I know, a lot of people here has the same problem (not a big deal to perform power cycle but still).

Sure, if you are in the UK especially, please PM me here or contact SCV service directly. I will ask for the benefit of the thread and let you all know when I have an answer.

May 29, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #635 of 1,014
The T60RP does benefits from balanced amping, it's power hungry for sure. I've tried it with the balanced cable but I didn't go as far as A/Bing single versus balanced.
Could you do a quick A/B listening with SE vs balanced? Id really like to know how soon i need to order the balanced cable for it. I know that Fostex RP series need as much power as possible, but I never tried any balanced so far and like to know if there are other advantages with it. The balanced cable is 100€ though :O

May 29, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #636 of 1,014
Could you do a quick A/B listening with SE vs balanced? Id really like to know how soon i need to order the balanced cable for it. I know that Fostex RP series need as much power as possible, but I never tried any balanced so far and like to know if there are other advantages with it. The balanced cable is 100€ though :O

I have some T60rps from SCV and a CMA400i at work. I'll try and A/B this tomorrow if you like.

May 30, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #637 of 1,014
I have some T60rps from SCV and a CMA400i at work. I'll try and A/B this tomorrow if you like.

Thanks Oscar. :beyersmile:

When those come back I can do two simultaneously as well, rather than have to swap cables quickly.

May 30, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #638 of 1,014
Thanks Oscar. :beyersmile:

When those come back I can do two simultaneously as well, rather than have to swap cables quickly.

Just realised the CMA400i is still in Germany as it was used at the Munich show :frowning2:

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #641 of 1,014
I think it's telling that I put an LCD3 up for sale, saying I'd be willing to sell the CMA400i as well if someone wants it, and I've had no bites on the Audeze but like six PMs on if I'd sell the Questyle separately.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #643 of 1,014
It's also telling that I decided to keep the CMA400i and leave the LCD-3 up for sale, though that's partly because I think having one amp with multiple headphones is far more common than the reverse.

I'll say, though, that this damn things pairs SO WELL with the HD-650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back