New Questyle CMA400i
Dec 27, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #781 of 1,014
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #788 of 1,014
For sure. May I ask, how does the CMA400i and Twelve compare to the Hugo 2?

i havent had the Hugo 2 for quite a while so wouldnt be able to do a proper comparison, but the 400i and 12 are very close in the way that they really good bass impact and extended treble but not fatiguing. Hugo 2 is leaner but more detailed. None of them sounded sluggish or thick like the Mojo. I think Hugo 2 is priced too high so the 400i is the best value and has had a price cut down a bit lately.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #789 of 1,014
Does optical via your motherboard's onboard sound work?

It would definitely provide more info that's for sure. If it works via optical, then there's probably something wrong with the Questyle's USB input. And if it works there's a workaround too. If it doesn't worj, there's probably something wrong farther down the chain. Trying coax and/or using the preamp outs with speakers would tell you more too.

Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. Things have been crazy as my house burnt down in Paradise CA. Saved my CMA400i though! Anyways, it took me some time to get an optical Toslink cable. It's been two days now and it has not switched off. I think you are right something is probably wrong with my 400i's USB input. What workaround? Great now I have to deal with Questyle's nonexistent customer support. Like I said my house burnt down in the Camp Fire and I saved my DAC but at the time I had the clear top on it but I left the metal top behind. In the aftermath, I didn't find it so I emailed Questyle only to get a response and nothing after that. Hopefully, it's just the holidays and they will get back to me. Has anyone had to send their unit back in and how was the experience?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #790 of 1,014
Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. Things have been crazy as my house burnt down in Paradise CA. Saved my CMA400i though! Anyways, it took me some time to get an optical Toslink cable. It's been two days now and it has not switched off. I think you are right something is probably wrong with my 400i's USB input. What workaround? Great now I have to deal with Questyle's nonexistent customer support. Like I said my house burnt down in the Camp Fire and I saved my DAC but at the time I had the clear top on it but I left the metal top behind. In the aftermath, I didn't find it so I emailed Questyle only to get a response and nothing after that. Hopefully, it's just the holidays and they will get back to me. Has anyone had to send their unit back in and how was the experience?

I’ve contacted them 5 times since October 2018 and still waiting for a response.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #791 of 1,014
I'm sorry to hear about your house. I can't imagine how that must be. The workaround is the optical input itself.

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #793 of 1,014
Just got home with a CMA400i and it works great :D
Using it with LCD-2.2F balanced.

The gain switched underneath was set to normal. Should these be at normal or low?

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #794 of 1,014
Just got home with a CMA400i and it works great :D
Using it with LCD-2.2F balanced.

The gain switched underneath was set to normal. Should these be at normal or low?
Personal preference really. I prefer low because none of my headphones are so hard to drive that they require the gain from normal and I like having finer control over volume level.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #795 of 1,014
Hello,

First of all, sorry for crossposting this topic, I will try to make it better in the future.
I am new here and couldn't post it in this thread at my first try.
I have the Questyle CMA400i since two days and it's a good piece of HIFI.
I am using it with a Windows 10 PC with running JRiver on it. Output via USB using Questyle ASIO driver.
I have a lot of Audio files with all possible bitrates. All bitrates are working fine in the setup above. All bitrates will be shown with the correct LED in the front of the Questyle, PCM also as DSD files. Only one bitrate, 352,8 KHz, will not be displayed correct. Depending which file was played before, the Questyle shows a 352,8 KHz file as 44,1 KHz up to 192 KHz, but never correct. Bitrate will be shown correct in taskbar icon of the Windows 10 ASIO driver.
Is anyone here who can confirm this problem?

best regards
Manfred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back