New Questyle CMA400i
Apr 29, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #916 of 1,014
Can't hold that comment against you, there's better options out there now for the money as well.

Which one??? (I need the XLR interface)

I have the 400i as well. It's a very nice piece and the sound is very, very good.
BUT when I'm listening to music and surfing the internet at the same time, I have some noise in the form of crackling.
As the volume increases, the crackling also becomes louder.
This is extremely annoying! I connected it to the PC via USB.

Does anybody have that too and knows a solution for the problem?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #917 of 1,014
Hello,

could anyone please help me with my problem with DAC Questyle CMA 400i? My dac making "electric" buzzing/noise/brum/hum (I do not know right word for this noise). I think it could be toroidal transformer or something in powering the dac.
Have anyone noticed this? I can hear it pretty much in the night whwn everything is quite only my studio monitors and pc going. I have the dac om my desk about 40 cm from my head. When i put my ear close to dac, then it is very "loud" sound. For example it is 5-10 times more loud and more anoing then standard noise from studio monitors.

I found some threads where someone says it could be low grade power cable. I have low end basic power cable (it was bundle for dac). Someone else says it can be removed by some filters (but they cost a lot).

I am finding any "not expensive" solution.

Until now I tried 2 different power cables in all my rooms and even without usb cable and without signal cables to monitors. Everything was turn off. Still the same "brum".

Thanks wery much for every help and information on this my problem.

May 6, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #918 of 1,014
I think with the support questyle has created a lot of enemies here in the forum, so that less people are interested in Questyle.

So nobody can answer my question above?!

To the possible solution of my problem (post 916):

i connected my 400i with a toslink optical cable to the pc for testing.
With this toslink cable the crackling noises are no longer present.

Was it possibly because of the USB cable? Bad quality of the cable?
I will order another USB cable and test it......

If this toslink cable has any advantages or disadvantages compared to the USB cable, I don't know.

@plachta
Your problem is unknown to me, so I can't help you there.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #919 of 1,014
May 17, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #920 of 1,014
After almost a year using this cma400i and tried plug some cans into it, i can say they create very good synergy with focal headphone (elear, clear) like they made for each otther, imo generally they're not good enough with certain high impedance, cans such like zmf headphones for example, they're sound weird and boring on this

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #921 of 1,014
I loved my CMA 400i but after the USB input went out I've had my eye on something else. I so wish Questyle was a better company the 400i could still be a heavy hitter in the market even in 2020. I was looking at something THX but I think the features of the Topping A90 has won me over. It was either the THX887 or the Topping A90, but the THX887 doesn't have a pre-amp so that sucks. I think I'm going to sell my 400i. Does anyone have a suggestion of how much I should sell mine without the USB input?

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #922 of 1,014
After almost a year using this cma400i and tried plug some cans into it, i can say they create very good synergy with focal headphone (elear, clear) like they made for each otther, imo generally they're not good enough with certain high impedance, cans such like zmf headphones for example, they're sound weird and boring on this

I have also been using the 400i for a year, and I agree with you. My Verite Open sounded very thin and empty. I felt as if I’m not listening to the VO’s true potential. That’s when I decided to upgrade to the Twelve Master, and oh boy! Everything sounded so much better! It’s like a totally different headphone. I never knew an amp would make a significant difference.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #926 of 1,014
They are reorganizing their distributor situation. Bruce Ball is out as the NA distributor and Bluebird Music, the former Chord Electronics NA distributor has taken over.

Chord😀 sounds good!

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #927 of 1,014
Sep 7, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #928 of 1,014
There are a lot of measurement based products in the range of a used CMA400i. The support on Questyle is a well reported nightmare. There are quite a few 400i users with pot issues, both units I've had suffered from this before modding. Don't get me wrong I really like the 400i, but in the current day I can't recommend going out of your way to buy one especially anywhere near retail pricing.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #929 of 1,014
Why are there 4 gain switches on the bottom? How are they used?

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #930 of 1,014
As per the manual, when you switch it to Standard, the Gain is about 2.47; when you switch it to Low, the Gain is almost 1.1.

So it could be set to Low when using very sensitive sensitive iems for instance.
There are 2 switches for left channel and 2 switches for right channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back