New release mid-range circumaural showdown: V-Moda M-100, Polk Ultrafocus 8000, Denon AH-D400 and AH-D600
Jul 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Craigster75

Headphoneus Supremus
All four of these headphones have solid early buzz (okay, not so much for the AH-D400, but it still looks interesting).  Any thoughts on these or alternatives that would be great for every genre of music with solid bass and work as well portably and at home?  I know the Polk is now out; the Denons are available for preorder at Crutchfield and we keep hearing that the M-100 is around the corner.  I am also considering the PSB M4U2, but didn't put on the title since it is not a new release.  However, the sound is amazing.  I'm having a tough time deciding between these and my budget only allows for one.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, it looks like I am having a conversation with myself, but I am eliminating the Polk 8000.  While they supposedly sound great, the dealbreaker is that, like the Bose and Beats, they don't work without power.  I doubt their sound is so superior that it would be worth dealing with that.  Plus, they are extremely bulky.  Regarding the Denon AH-D400 Urban Raver, I will know within 5 minutes of trying them if I want them or not.  Boosted bass is fine, but they have to offer the whole package complete with detailed mids and highs that are still smooth which is something not found in "rapper cans", but I am hoping Denon can change that.  Unlike the Polk, they will perform well unamped as do the PSB M4U2.

I would prefer to avoid dealing with batteries in my headphones altogether, so I have a feeling my decision will come down to the V-Moda M-100 and the Denon AH-D600.  If the M-100 can offer solid midrange performance with a high level of detail and smooth highs that extend further than the M-80, I can see them as the winner based on the combination of sound and price.  However, if the Denons can pull off a sound signature similar to the Ultrasone Signature Pro with accurate, deep and powerful bass as well as exceptional transparency, it will be a tough call.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Did you ever try Philips Fidelio L1? To me it looks like a worthy entry even if it's slightly cheaper. Bass is probably whereabouts in quantity as with these other too, at least according to FR graphs but yea that always doesn't tell the full story.

Seems like our list is similar haha. On mine it's like M100, PSB M4U2 (but I'm waiting for NC-less model as I don't want to pay extra for something I don't need), AH-D400 and Fidelio L1 that are on my "watch list". Actually if I had the budget I'd go straight for the new flagship Fostex TH-900 (ok I do have many times above their cost saved up on my bank account but since I'm still looking for an actual job as I'm graduating I don't quite feel that comfortable with spending such a huge amount money on a pair of headphones yet).

I know you kinda liked Q40 except for the sibiliance, well I'm positive it maybe went away with use or something as I know mine is anything but sibilant right now. I still very much enjoy Q40 EXCEPT for one aspect, the soundstage, here I know it exists a lot of headphones which do better, it has decent/good imaging capabilities though but the soundstage size/form sounds relatively closed-in though and that's the main aspect I would like to find an improvement in. But apart from the soundstage I'm very very satisfied with the M-Audio Q40 still and can see me enjoying it for at least a year+ longer if need be, the bass response is just perfect to my ears and midrange very nicely even slightly forward sounding to me too! Highs are nearly perfect, it could be a tad balanced out and have better extension but the average amplitude of the highs is on a very "neutral" level though to my ears (after the padmod and after burn-in) and in terms of edginess vs softness feels like the Q40 sits right in-between.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Did you ever try Philips Fidelio L1? To me it looks like a worthy entry even if it's slightly cheaper. Bass is probably whereabouts in quantity as with these other too, at least according to FR graphs but yea that always doesn't tell the full story.

Seems like our list is similar haha. On mine it's like M100, PSB M4U2 (but I'm waiting for NC-less model as I don't want to pay extra for something I don't need), AH-D400 and Fidelio L1 that are on my "watch list". Actually if I had the budget I'd go straight for the new flagship Fostex TH-900 (ok I do have many times above their cost saved up on my bank account but since I'm still looking for an actual job as I'm graduating I don't quite feel that comfortable with spending such a huge amount money on a pair of headphones yet).

I know you kinda liked Q40 except for the sibiliance, well I'm positive it maybe went away with use or something as I know mine is anything but sibilant right now. I still very much enjoy Q40 EXCEPT for one aspect, the soundstage, here I know it exists a lot of headphones which do better, it has decent/good imaging capabilities though but the soundstage size/form sounds relatively closed-in though.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I heard the L1 has somewhat subdued highs?  There is supposed to be an unamped M4U2 coming out in a few months.  Regarding the AH-D400, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only audiophile/basshead.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion.  I heard the L1 has somewhat subdued highs?  There is supposed to be an unamped M4U2 coming out in a few months.  Regarding the AH-D400, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only audiophile/basshead.

Yea that's also my concern with them, maybe slightly too subdued to be concidered neutral, I really want neutral highs (ever so slightly below that is quite ok too as I rather take slightly recessed than emphasized highs), also slight concern regarding the midrange which some ppl say it can be shouty in the upper-mids while for others it's perfectly fine. 

Seems we got fairly the same taste of how it should sound, so don't hesitate to gimme a PM if you'd happen to discover your holy grail but it seems M4U2 comes rather close based on your initial impressions of it. I'm sure a Fostex TH-900 would probably also be up your alley with a ~10dB measured bass boost (but that doesn't sound bloated at all even for typical audiophiles as appearently it has very low THD noise) and neutral mids & highs but yea that's a totally different price class we're speaking of though. :p But I know Fostex TH-900 will be the first flagship I would go for if I had the money.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Hi guys, I'm living in Garden Grove, Orange County, CA. I have a brand new in box, never used, never opened Denon AHD 400. I'm part of the consumer feedback program of Amazon, so I got it from them as a gift. I have the paper work to prove what I just said. I'm no audiophile, so a $400 headphones is too much for me. I want to sell it for $300 (negotiable). If you guys are interested in, let me know. I don't ship, only face to face transaction. Thanks

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi Craigster,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am in a similar situation like you. I am looking for a portable circumaural to replace my V-MODA LP2 as my ears can't agree with it. My source would be my iPhone 4S, and having 3-button remote and mic is important. I have shortlisted some of the headphones on the title above and some others. Rather than starting a new thread, I hope you don't mind I post my shortlist and some of my findings here.  I have not auditioned any of these so looking forward to some comparisons from fellow HeadFi-ers especially on their sonic qualities.

• V-MODA M-100
    Pros:
    Foldable
    Awesome carrying case
    Easy to get replacement parts
    Metal construction
    Cons:
    Included cable doesn't have 3-button remote (not sure if LP2 cable can be used)
    Fabric sheathed cord gets frayed as per my experience with LP2

• Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
    Pros:
    Metal construction
    The leather covering the headband can be self-replaced
    Adjustable bass level
    Cons:
    No cable with 3-button remote
    Not foldable
    No carrying case
    According to reviews here, recessed mids (to be confirmed)

• PSB M4U2
    Pros:
    Based on reviews awesome sonic qualities. Some said it beats Ultrasone Edition 8
    Internal amp mode, and active noise cancellation mode
    Foldable
    Cons:
    Rather large and heavy
    No cable with 3-button remote
    Plastic construction
    Cracking issue with early batches
    Most expensive

• UE6000
    Pros:
    InnerFidelity review said this is better than K550
    Noise cancellation
    Foldable
    Cons:
    Plastic construction

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for adding to the thread.  You have an excellent list.  As there has not been much activity here, everything has migrated to this forum where you will find more current discussion and even more headphone options.  I think it would be great if you could copy your post there as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630574/mid-fi-closed-portable-headphone-battle-2012-discussion-v3-final/75#post_8808583

I am now the proud owner of the M-100 and it is officially my favorite headphone.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks! I have copied my post to the other thread, and added Sennheiser Momentum to the list.

I am really curious about the M-100 but there is no brick and mortar shop where I live that has the demo unit. Trying not to repeat the same mistake I made with LP2. With the LP2, some songs sounded echoey (Is this what they call cavern effect? Sorry I'm pretty new to this HiFi world so my vocabulary is limited).  Have you compared the two yourself?

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Thanks! I have copied my post to the other thread, and added Sennheiser Momentum to the list.

I am really curious about the M-100 but there is no brick and mortar shop where I live that has the demo unit. Trying not to repeat the same mistake I made with LP2. With the LP2, some songs sounded echoey (Is this what they call cavern effect? Sorry I'm pretty new to this HiFi world so my vocabulary is limited).  Have you compared the two yourself?

I have not, but based on everything I have read they are completely different.  LP2 is considered a basshead can; M-100 is a portable audiophile headphone.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi Craigster,

What's the diameter of the thickest part of the 3.5mm straight plug of your M-100 cable? The reason I ask is that I might want to get the cable for my ATH Pro700 Mk2. Sorry to trouble you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back