New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 5, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #9,181 of 9,484
Why not use the balanced outputs which provide ≈ double the output voltage swing?
To quote from their spec sheet…
Maximum Output: 4.0v RMS (balanced), 2.0v RMS (single-ended)

Unless your passive pre-amp is SE only.

Besides Schiit isn't into doing customization of their designs.
JustNotGunnaHappen…

And borrowing from their own published responses, if their equipment doesn't work for you there is plenty of other gear out there to choose from.

JJ

May 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #9,184 of 9,484
hey its worth asking plus its not really a mod. its a pretty standard thing to have 4 volt outputs.

Yes, it is a mod. And 4V SE output is NOT pretty standard.

May 5, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #9,187 of 9,484
Jason may have written something like this in an early chapter of Schiit Happened, or maybe I got it somewhere else:

In business you don't need everyone to like you. You just need a group who loves you.

Word, yo.

May 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #9,188 of 9,484
well I guess a certain market segment will have to skip the yggy. too bad

They can't make them fast enough as it is, so this unlikely to be much of an incentive.

Never heard of 4v SE outputs in the audiophile world. That'd overload the inputs on a ton of standard gear. In the pro world, almost everything I've seen has been balanced anyway.

You can't have gain with a passive pre-amp. They're just attenuators.

What "higher end" DACs have 4v SE outputs (that aren't also digital pre-amps with built-in volume controls)?

May 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #9,189 of 9,484
4V line level is +4dBu and is common in SE pro audio or car audio where max gain is often desired over very long cable runs and to control the noise floor in a very noisy environment.  Consumer audio is -10dBu which is 1V p-p or 0dBV. Cable runs are short and noise is generally not an issue.  Connecting a +4dBu output into a standard consumer preamp can overload the input of the preamp.  +4dBu output into a -10dBV input the signal is coming in 11.79dB hotter than the gear was designed for

May 5, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #9,190 of 9,484
FYI if you read the Yggdrasil specs, it is actually 0dBu (2V p-p) single ended and standard +4Vdbu (4V p-p) balanced.

Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS (balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)

May 5, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #9,193 of 9,484
  What is up with Schiit these days? My cousin sent an email asking schiit if the yggdrassil could be modded to have 4 volt rca outs because he wanted to purchase one. No reply since the weekend.

A quick search of the tech@schiit.com email shows no such email, as far back as I can see. Sounds like he may have sent it to the wrong address (schitt, not schiit, is a common mistake.)

And, as everyone has already noted, I'm afraid the response will be, "No, sorry, we only build them one way."

In any case, getting a 4V RMS SE output is NOT "simple" in any way, shape, or form--it would require a complete circuit change (replacing the SE summers that have inherently a gain of 0.5 with an actual gain stage--with feedback to bring it back to unity gain). This is a much more complex topology than we are using, requiring a complete re-engineering of the analog board.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 5, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #9,195 of 9,484

A quick search of the tech@schiit.com email shows no such email, as far back as I can see. Sounds like he may have sent it to the wrong address (schitt, not schiit, is a common mistake.)

And, as everyone has already noted, I'm afraid the response will be, "No, sorry, we only build them one way."

In any case, getting a 4V RMS SE output is NOT "simple" in any way, shape, or form--it would require a complete circuit change (replacing the SE summers that have inherently a gain of 0.5 with an actual gain stage--with feedback to bring it back to unity gain). This is a much more complex topology than we are using, requiring a complete re-engineering of the analog board.

Ok thanks for the reply. I will pass him the message. He may still be interested though regardless of not having a 4 volt option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back