Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2024 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Somafunk

100+ Head-Fier
May 6, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 21
HD_620S_Mood_Shot_PKF9589_16x9.jpg

Senn_HD_620S_Iso_View.jpg

Oh c'mon Senn... 5 series chassis?

At least they reinforced the headband structure with some metal.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 21
Sennheiser(s) continue to surprise me (with concern and wariness) with a scattering of new models. I still look with regret at the "ear jewelry" from Samsung-AKG, the AKAI microwave, the JVC batteries, etc.

May 6, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 21
Closed back - a new "bass cannon" using excess reverb/loose bass Q? +5-6 db over 1kHz under 50 Hz...

Senn wants to catch on to the market - can't blame them for wanting to boost sales.

Like to see a less smoothed curve than the one Senn put out., and distortion figures in the bass, not just at 1 KHz.

May 6, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 21
Sennheiser has a pretty spotty history with closed-backs, so while they are one of my favorite brands, I'm definitely going to wait for some impressions to emerge after launch

May 6, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 21
I hope the 150 ohms doesn't mean it's a big step back in terms of technicalities or scalability. I like that the 620S is easier to drive than the 660S2, but the scalability of this series is still a big draw. I hope they found a sweet spot in terms of performance and compatibility.

May 6, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 21
oof... is it really 150 ohms? 150 ohms made Tyll nearly break down. :p

the graph looks interesting.

It will be hard to accept that as a "6 series"

1715028570797.jpeg

I was expecting like a 300ohm hd600 looking headphone with gorilla glass cover

but anything new is exciting. 620S vs dt770 pro X LE

May 6, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 21
oof... is it really 150 ohms? 150 ohms made Tyll nearly break down. :p

the graph looks interesting.

It will be hard to accept that as a "6 series"

I was expecting like a 300ohm hd600 looking headphone with gorilla glass cover

but anything new is exciting. 620S vs dt770 pro X LE
Yeah seems the driver may be a new variant exclusive to it as it doesn't have the blue voice coil of the HD 660S/700 and the plastic driver brace looks different than the HD 6xx line and even the HD 5xx line. The membrane may also be different.

This headphone’s measurements looks like it's more of a Harman curve oriented headphone, the DT 770 Pro X LE is a v-shape that's really fun to listen to and it's so fast and well-controlled the bass and treble never come across as harsh or fatiguing to me despite being elevated. The question for me is the HD 620S's drivers technical ability.

Sennheiser-HD-620S-5.webp

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 21
Yeah seems the driver may be a new variant exclusive to it as it doesn't have the blue voice coil of the HD 660S/700 and the plastic driver brace looks different than the HD 6xx line and even the HD 5xx line. The membrane may also be different.

This headphone measurements looks like it's more of a Harman curve oriented headphone, the DT 770 Pro X LE is a v-shape that's really fun to listen to and it's so fast and well-controlled the bass and treble never come across as harsh or fatiguing to me despite being elevated. The question for me is the HD 620S's drivers technical ability.

Sennheiser-HD-620S-5.webp

Cool picture.

Nothing against the new driver or design. Hope it's the closed back many were waiting for.

But part of the 6 series charm is that it requires no soldering to take apart and put back together.

Also, the 300ohms allows for more flexibility with amps (should one want to go tube etc.)

Nice to see the new pad design and cups.

Sometimes i forget the market outside of head-fi is much larger, and the ease of plugging them into a phone/pc/tablet overrides the needs of those in minimal numbers with tube amps and what not

May 6, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Cool picture.

Nothing against the new driver or design. Hope it's the closed back many were waiting for.

But part of the 6 series charm is that it requires no soldering to take apart and put back together.

Also, the 300ohms allows for more flexibility with amps (should one want to go tube etc.)

Nice to see the new pad design and cups.

Sometimes i forget the market outside of head-fi is much larger, and the ease of plugging them into a phone/pc/tablet overrides the needs of those in minimal numbers with tube amps and what not
Hopefully it is, Sennheiser really needs a good solid closed-back option in the mid-tier segment. Only caveat is for me, is I've been having fatigue issues with Senns newer drivers some reason so I'm reserved about that personally, I'm going to let go of the HD 660S2 for that reason which sucks as it’s my favorite sounding HD 6xx headphone. Keeping the HD 650 around though to scatch the HD 6xx itch I get and it's the least fatiguing of the bunch for me.

After trying many good low impedance and higher efficiency headphones, I've learned to stop worrying so much about it over the years and I don't let impedance influence my purchasing decisions anymore. I find good low-impedance/high-efficiency headphones scale just as much with gear quality as good high-impedance or low efficiency headphones. It does matter for OTL amps though, but currently don't have one, but will get one eventually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back