New to canalphones/IEMs - need some advice my shortlist
Sep 7, 2010 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

luke2112

New Head-Fier
This will be my first purchase of a decent set of IEMs.

My criteria:

1. Music selection: Heavy progressive metal/rock, to funk/acid jazz, to string quartets, to full orchestral works, to female vocals and acoustic guitar, to a tiny bit of hip-hop/pop. If there's one genre I avoid it's electronica/dance/techno, although some Shpongle has been creeping into my playlists of late.
  2. Sound style: I love the sound signature of my Koss KSC75. The warm, bassy sound is appealing although I would like something a bit more extended (in both directions) with tighter bass and a bit more sparkle and detail at the mid-top end. I also quite like my Audio Technica AD900s (even though I will be selling them soon) and even though I am not a bass head, I would like something a little richer and bassier.
  3. Source: Will be driven by directly by an iPhone 4 most of the time, and a Maverick D1 TubeMagic DAC/headamp occasionally.
  4. Comfort: A comfortable fitting, "dont even know they're there (and possibly fall asleep in them)", easily insertable IEM is very important. A low profile IEM is much preferrable to a larger one.

My shortlist (with brief attributes based on lots of reading around the interwebs). These are all in the $180 - $250 (AUD) range. I don't want to go above that if I can manage it, but below it is welcome
smile.gif

Phonak Audio PFE
Pros: Balanced sound, good value, comfortable, low profile, ear guides
Cons: Not enough bass impact, (too analytical?), build issues/reliability

Radius TWF11R DDM
Pros: Good bass impact, sound style seems to be consistent with what I like
Cons: Uncomfortable and awkward to fit

Atrio M8/5
Pros: Good bass impact, lush sound, kind to average recordings
Cons: High profile, deep canal insertion, lack of treble/detail

Klipsch X10
Pros: Comfortable and easy fit, good bass impact and balanced sound
Cons: High profile, cable microphonics

Suggestions, or clarifications on these?

I am strongly leaning in favour of the Phonak PFE as they are the cheapest on the list (~AUD$180) and from all reports seem like a good all-rounder, comfortable and low profile, and the bass will probably be sufficient for me.

What I would also like to know is:

1. Is there something above my price range that would be worth stretching for, that would fit the criteria better than anything I have listed above?

2. Whether I should aim lower - given this is my first IEM purchase - and start with something sub-AUD$100, e.g. HiFiMan RE0, Vsonic R02Pro2, UE SuperFi 5, Sound Magic PL50 and start there and upgrade later?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 11
I think with your budget, I really think you ought to be considering the Audio Technica CK10, DBA-02 or CK90Pro - in particular the CK10 since you are asking for build quality and comfort. I have the DDMs and I wouldn't describe them as "low profile". The DDMs might also not be great for metal - while they are fast, my friend who is a big metal fan finds them a little too warm for that.

The PFE build issues have apparently largely been resolved with the version 2 of the design btw.

Starting with the RE0 in particular is a good idea if you are the kind of person who is likely to buy more later on, since the RE0 is a good reference point - an IEM that many members on this forum have and can easily compare future purchases to. My friend (the metal fan) has the Super Fi 5's and while he loves them, he does prefer my RE0's for metal.

While you may love your KSC75's (I did) I think you'd quickly find that even the RE0 stomps all over it in pure magic! :)

If you need any good ideas about where to get stuff in Australia, PM me :D

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the info a_recording.

A quick google shows the Audio Technica CK10 is available here for ~AUD$380 - more than my original $250 limit, and I guess I would have to hear these first before dropping that sort of money.

I had subsequently read that the Phonak PFE issues had been sorted, which is good to know.

Regarding the RE0, I have a mate who I have bought stuff from before who is looking sell a set of RE0 for $80. I might have to start there.

PM sent also, re: "where to get stuff"
regular_smile .gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Yah you wouldn't get the CK10's here. They are about 260/70 Including shipping from overseas. Considering *new* RE0's cost 80 dollars anyway, I wouldn't go for them second hand - especially since new ones come with nicer cables etc.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 11
CK90Pro is an option.  The CK10 offers more micro detail though.  The CK10 at times has sold for under $200 US.  I'd also toss in the RE252 or new RE262 in as well.  Even the Custom 3 and MTPG are options.  The main goal is frequency response balance when it comes to working well with a lot of music types.  You want both the response and the extension.  The RE252 has been one of my favorites, although the RE262 is coming out very soon.  The Custom 3 is super cheap and offers good texture and a well bodied note (unusually for a BA).  The CK90Pro has a more BA sound but is something like the PFE but better balanced.  The MTPG is very well balanced, thick and textured.  It can sometimes bit a tad too sluggish to keep separation in complex passages.  The CK10 is still one of the best options.  It has a lot to offer as long as you can tame the treble peak at 10kHz.  A Comply T-500 tip can help a bit.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 11
*EDIT* I forgot to mention the MC5's /MC3's - or indeed any of the new ety line as a real possibility, considering you are using an iPhone as a source. The build quality on them seems pretty excellent.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Hello,

I've been revisiting IEM's recently and found ljokerl's review thread helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-102-iems-compared-meelectronics-m11-and-hippo-shroom-added-09-01
As others have suggested, perhaps you could get either the RE0 or something else highly recommended and see if you like that style of IEM.

I think i have almost the same music tastes (with a few exceptions) and I've been happy with a pair of Etymotic ER4 for quiute some time until the cable broke.  I recently got a MC5 (among some others) to have some backups/extras and am liking those almost as much for most listening situations.  They are very reasonably priced and have good build quality (although the drivers don't seem as sound as the ER IMO).  I will most likely repair the ER cables as I really liked those.  I'm considering the Audio Technica CK-10, but no one seems to have them in stock at a bargin price yet, but i've continued the search in hopes of a conquest soon :)

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 11
Wow. That review thread is something else!

I am not sure about the Etys - either the ER4p or MC5. They seem to require fairly deep insertion, are high profile fitting and reportedly have a mid-to-high favouring, analytical sound.

I could stretch to AUD$300 for the CK10 from AccessoryJack, but maybe not first up. CK90Pro are $50 cheaper, but again, I am now shying away from an expensive purchase first up.

The RE252 sounds about right in terms of sound style, but looks like it could be either very comfortable, or very uncomfortable...? (that jelly bean shape).

Right now I'm thinking the RE0 should be the first step.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 11
ive owned the klipsch x10, they are great sounding, comfy, and do have good bass impact.    I dont know what you mean by high profile though.. if you mean "big" or stick out, thats definatley not the case.. these things are so small that they barely stick out at all.  they practically dissapear in your ears

you can find used or like new x10 on here for $180 or less.. however one thing to know is almost every pair, if not ever pair,  will eventually start to split at the bass of the "tube" that meets with the cord at the end of the earbud.
this can be remedied with some deftly placed shrink tube ( i have done this but you have to be careful not to melt them) but it does happen which i believe is part of the reason they sell so cheap on head-fi. that and oddly people dont like that klipsch is such a mainstream brand..

i also did not find the microphonics to be abnormally loud on these.. it also depends on which tips you use and how you use them.. but that goes for most non over the ear IEM's

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

Right now I'm thinking the RE0 should be the first step.

The MC5's actually have more bass than the RE0's, and are just about as low profile. I'm not sure about the insertion depth, but I am getting used to it myself after a few days, and the isolation is amazing. :D Build quality is definitely leagues ahead.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 11
Cheers Br777 and a_recording (geez, just when I thought I had it narrowed down!)

I can pickup the Klipsch in Aus. for ~$260, still with in my price range (sorta), and yes I was meaning "big, stick out your ears, etc" by "high profile", but only from pictures and various reviews and whatnot. Good to know it's not the case as the sound style and comfort seem to be very good.

Still weighing up options, but right now my better judgement is trying to stop me from buying a set of these - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220665872699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT (likely fakes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back