New to high-end headphones and eager to learn (HP-3 vs 109 pro)
Apr 3, 2023 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Albert2233

New Head-Fier
I am someone who late in life (56) really wants to listen to better sounding music. I am learning the importance of a DAC and AMP for headphones, as well as cables... it seems there are many more ways to spend money than I initially realized.

I would appreciate any feedback on my buying process. I can buy a used pair of HP -3 in reported excellent condition for the same price as the Meze 109 Pro. I love the look of both of these headphones, but I find the Klipsch more visualy appealing overall. I have listened to the 109 Pro, and really love the sound, fit, and finish. Every review of the HP3 has been very flattering, but I have never heard them, but it seems like I would based on the descriptions. While my heart wants the Klipsch, I worry about it being a discontinued product that can not be fixed (ear cups etc), and being older technology. Do headphones wear out? Is it crazy to buy a used and discontinued headphone? If the HP-3 was so good why did Klispch drop it?

Thanks for any guidence here...

Al

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 3
I've not heard the HP3 but it's on the list of headphones I'd like to own. If it is in excellent condition and includes the box, stand, etc., and is the same price as the 109, that's what I would go for personally... the Klipsch.

Do headphones wear out? Yes, but the leather headband can be covered and real leather earpads can be conditioned to greatly extend their life. Drivers can also go but it can happen to a headphone after 15 months or 15 years, you just can't tell.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi

I can only tell you about my experience with finding the perfect headphones.

I was in 1000 dollars zone.

I Was considering open-back headphones

1) meze 109 pro

2) Ultrasone edition eleven

Closed-back

3) dan clark Noire 2
Finally, I have decided to buy dan clarks.

It is all about your taste, some details. I just felt in love with dan clark noire

I also want to have open-back, but I have to relax a bit with my spendings xd

Meze Pro 109 was great. You will be happy with them. Please also try ultrasone edition 11. I was impressed. Even more than with Meze

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back