New to Higher End Audio, Researching DAP + IEM Setup. Please Read.
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ColdsnapBry

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently have decided to step my audio setup game as I'm going with a dumb phone in 2019, so will need a dedicated player. Past years I've just used Google Music streaming to my Bose earbuds or Jaybirds in the gym. I am looking for a Digital Audio Player and a IEM. Battery life is my main concern as I don't like having to charge my devices. I've noticed some DAP like the Hiby 6, Ibasso, etc get only 7 hours of playback with a flac file and balanced headphones. As I result I'm looking at great battery life from devices such as the FiiO M7 and the Astell & Kern Kann. What would you suggest for a beginner?

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 11
For battery and therefor playtime nothing can touch sony. If your Budget allows zx300 (there is also zx300A with fewer internal memory but extendable and better price tag) is a great device.

Regarding IEM we need more info (Budget, music preferences,...)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Ah yea, I've had my eye on Sony but the one damn unfortunate thing; proprietary charging cable. I traveled majority of this year and having to only bring one USB Type C cable to charge all my devices was a big change.

Far as music I listen to everything. Probably not a genre I skip out, I know a lot of people say this? But I have a pretty large music collection and it spans every genre. Budget is $200-600 for IEM.

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 11
A dumb phone? But how will you surrrviiiive??? How will you obsess over InstaSpace and FriendBook?

But seriously, would you consider using your old smart phone as a dedicated DAP/transport and maybe get a DAC to go with it? I'd imagine most phones would have a longer battery life than most HiFi DAPs even with something like the Dragonfly Red running off it.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 11
A dumb phone? But how will you surrrviiiive??? How will you obsess over InstaSpace and FriendBook?

But seriously, would you consider using your old smart phone as a dedicated DAP/transport and maybe get a DAC to go with it? I'd imagine most phones would have a longer battery life than most HiFi DAPs even with something like the Dragonfly Red running off it.

I could! Thought it's a Nexus 5X and the battery drain is starting to show unfortunately. That's a good point. I see that FiiO and Ibasso make some DACs.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 11
If you uninstall all the apps you won't need and put it in airplane mode, you should be able to extend the battery life some. Look into how long the battery lasts on the DACs, too, since I think some of them aren't much better than a DAP. I mentioned the DFR which draws on the phone's battery. I've noticed an increase in battery drain of about 3-8% / hour using the DFR and USB Audio Player Pro on various phones in airplane mode. Ideally, that's 12.5 hours on the low end. You could also consider getting the battery replaced on your Nexus... Just a guess, but I'd imagine that this scenario plus updating Android would lead to way better battery life than any DAP.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 11
You could get something like the Fiio E18 that doubles as a powerbank and allows you to charge your phone. It makes the "DAP" a bit bulky but phones have a much better OS than most DACs (and definitely much better than the obsolete Fiio Android versions) and offer much more flexibility. Alternatively you could get a separate powerbank, which is quite convenient to have anyway if you travel regularly.
As for IEMs, one option is to go with something quite neutral and then let the DAC and file colour the sound. I got ATH-E70 a few days ago and I am really happy with them although (or maybe be cause) they are very source sensitive.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 11
...just looked it up and realized the Nexus 5x only has about 9GB (or probably 25GB for the larger version) available to the user, which would fill up fast. If you want to go this route, you could consider getting something like a low end Motorola which also runs stock Android and I believe has a microSD slot.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 11
...just looked it up and realized the Nexus 5x only has about 9GB (or probably 25GB for the larger version) available to the user, which would fill up fast. If you want to go this route, you could consider getting something like a low end Motorola which also runs stock Android and I believe has a microSD slot.

Ah yea, that is very true. I don't mind paying $180ish for a DAP, the Hiby R3 and Fiio M7 seem like affordable straight forward devices. I do like how with just that device I won't have the distraction of the internet or notifications. I was thinking that and something like the Grado 10e as I always liked Grado's sound and how they do business: https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Pro...n-Ear-Headphones-__I.148071__C.27473__N.27756

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 11
You could get something like the Fiio E18 that doubles as a powerbank and allows you to charge your phone. It makes the "DAP" a bit bulky but phones have a much better OS than most DACs (and definitely much better than the obsolete Fiio Android versions) and offer much more flexibility. Alternatively you could get a separate powerbank, which is quite convenient to have anyway if you travel regularly.
As for IEMs, one option is to go with something quite neutral and then let the DAC and file colour the sound. I got ATH-E70 a few days ago and I am really happy with them although (or maybe be cause) they are very source sensitive.

Is there any other DACS / Power banks like the Fiio E18, one that charges USB type C. That would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back