New to in-ears. Something strange...
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 11
Found out that my right ear canal seems to be bigger than my left. Is this normal...???

Aside from that being normal, I just hope you don't have the problem I have: my left canal is only half an eartip size larger, so that means the medium tips are slightly loose or sit too far inside the ear canal, and the large buds sit too far outside even if they have enough traction and grip one driver is far enough away from my ear drum that it sounds different in a quiet environment. Good thing I only use IEMs in noisy places.

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, I have the same problem; my left ear canal is narrower than my right, if I use medium size olives for my um3x, the left driver don't get sealed properly most of the time, causing more ambience noise and reduced bass response, whereas the right driver would seal perfectly. If I use the large size olives, both get sealed properly but the left driver doesn't get in as deep as the right , causing less bass response. With the small size olives, both ear canals get quite good seals although if I'm working out at the gym or walking around, the seal got loosen occasionally and would let in noise and cause reduced bass response. It's not perfect but I suppose it's the best solution for me.

Aside from that being normal, I just hope you don't have the problem I have: my left canal is only half an eartip size larger, so that means the medium tips are slightly loose or sit too far inside the ear canal, and the large buds sit too far outside even if they have enough traction and grip one driver is far enough away from my ear drum that it sounds different in a quiet environment. Good thing I only use IEMs in noisy places.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey guys thanks for the responses. That's pretty.. relieving 
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

My right seems like a quarter bigger than the standard eartip. Still would fit but took quite some time to get it seated properly. Tried other eartips that came with the in-ear, but they changed the sound.

I actually bought a SoundMAGIC E10 for a startup in-ear because of the reviews. Been burned-in for 20 hours or so, though still too bassy for my liking. It seems to have recessed mids compared to Senns. Still prefer my 1 year old RS120II right now.. 
confused_face.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 11

My right seems like a quarter bigger than the standard eartip. Still would fit but took quite some time to get it seated properly. Tried other eartips that came with the in-ear, but they changed the sound.

I actually bought a SoundMAGIC E10 for a startup in-ear because of the reviews. Been burned-in for 20 hours or so, though still too bassy for my liking. It seems to have recessed mids compared to Senns. Still prefer my 1 year old RS120II right now.. 
confused_face.gif

Yeah, I have the same problem; my left ear canal is narrower than my right, if I use medium size olives for my um3x, the left driver don't get sealed properly most of the time, causing more ambience noise and reduced bass response, whereas the right driver would seal perfectly. If I use the large size olives, both get sealed properly but the left driver doesn't get in as deep as the right , causing less bass response. With the small size olives, both ear canals get quite good seals although if I'm working out at the gym or walking around, the seal got loosen occasionally and would let in noise and cause reduced bass response. It's not perfect but I suppose it's the best solution for me.

I use large tips on my left ear and the mediums on my right. The real hassle is when I buy new tips - I need to get two sets in two sizes, because the multi-packs have the S sizes too. Local hearing aid store does custom tips for about $100, will try them when I get better earphones, which hopefully is before I need to get another set of tips.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Custom tips you mean they need to be cast with ear moulds? I don't know, I suspect they would somehow change the sound character/signature as the distance between the drivers and the eardrum would be increased too; and would also protrude more from the ear and make them more uncomfortable to wear and odd looking.

I use large tips on my left ear and the mediums on my right. The real hassle is when I buy new tips - I need to get two sets in two sizes, because the multi-packs have the S sizes too. Local hearing aid store does custom tips for about $100, will try them when I get better earphones, which hopefully is before I need to get another set of tips.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Custom tips you mean they need to be cast with ear moulds? I don't know, I suspect they would somehow change the sound character/signature as the distance between the drivers and the eardrum would be increased too; and would also protrude more from the ear and make them more uncomfortable to wear and odd looking.

Yep, custom tips, rather than outright full custom IEMs. Actually, I just remembered a cheaper option - there's some earplug material available online that you can use as disposable, custom-fit tips - except instead of just blocking noise you have to fit one end into the earphone, then drill through it.

This guy just cut 'em too short - the soundbore on his DIY tips are exactly at the end of the plastic soundbore, with no consideration for the eartips, which may well for some earphones but not all.

Either way, that's why I'm not using the usual custom IEM route. A full custom earphone would need remolding every few years anyway and the price of entry is a bit steep for me, especially if I have to send it back again for refits* on the original. Same thing with custom tips - even if I know the sound of the earphone, it might need refits if the tips change anything other than increasing isolation and comfort. A local shop can cut shipping costs (although fuel driving there would be around $8 if I hit traffic), and physically being there means I can more easily show how I need it to fit - like how deep the IEM itself should go into the tip, then on the other end, compare the length of the preferred ear tip to the custom mold so they can sand it down to match before using it to make the actual custom tips. Ditto the DIY putty, except I'll be the one doing it. It'll all come down to whether I'd save with $15+shipping for one prototype and one re-do, but realistically I'd probably buy two sets, vs $100 for one chance at a do-over by a pro.

Basically, it's not so much that the earphones themselves (the drivers, the sound port/tube, etc) would be at a different position relative to your ear drum, but how you work the mold. It won't be exact down to the fractions of millimeters, but chances of it being noticeably off can be reduced, if at least against sending in molds just for eartips. BTW, some custom IEM outfits already take into account the length of your favorite eartips, after such complaints/observations initially.

*Shipping cost, plus a few vultures at our Customs offices who can legally call BS on claiming "returns" or warranty or anything of that sort (meaning I'd have to pay twice for essentially the same item)

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 11
The custom tips would be an interesting option if they can maintain the same 'driver to ear drum' distance. The putty tips sound logical too although they are scary looking and probably not very practical in real life if one has to remove them often. I'm still very tempted to get a pair of UE reference monitor as they seem to have very good reviews, but am still very put off by my experience with my UE 18Pro for customs IEM.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 11
The custom tips would be an interesting option if they can maintain the same 'driver to ear drum' distance. The putty tips sound logical too although they are scary looking and probably not very practical in real life if one has to remove them often. I'm still very tempted to get a pair of UE reference monitor as they seem to have very good reviews, but am still very put off by my experience with my UE 18Pro for customs IEM.

That's also why I didn't pull the trigger thinking $10-$15 is a relative "no brainer" - I'm thinking these won't set stiff enough to not start crumbling under regular use. Still waiting for longer-term feed back on the thread for it but seems like it's kind of quiet for now.

Or should I take that to mean that they generally will last at least almost as long as universal foam tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back