New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #31 of 9,411
7 Vrms is not bad for such a small unit, but still less output power than the AK380 amp (balanced). I also picked up the rumor that it will only have 64GB internal memory. :frowning2:
I'd be damned if it's only 64GB internal mem. One thing though was AK did have demo units of the Ak380 for reviewers that had 32 or 64GB RAM. So wonder if the rumour you heard was with any kind of review unit of the SP1000 having limted memory.

May 16, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #34 of 9,411
Same price as my Tia Fourte... But the best only deserves the best. A must-buy for me.
But now we know what you mean by "the best", something not even better than a smartphone + Mojo:wink:
Well if AK try to cut cost by not including internal SSD memory and leave memory to user supplies SD card that will be a - for me. The AKM 9947 Dac is very enticing though. Can't wait to hear it. I have a feeling that this might be the so call Totl from AK. They usually only put SS or CU in their totl product. I do like the increased screen size. I hope the power output is as good as the advertisements. But if they are still implementing an external amp option, I am not hopeful. I hate external amp, I want one piece with enough power to drive my Utopia.

May 16, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #35 of 9,411
But now we know what you mean by "the best", something not even better than a smartphone + Mojo:wink:
Well if AK try to cut cost by not including internal SSD memory and leave memory to user supplies SD card that will be a - for me. The AKM 9947 Dac is very enticing though. Can't wait to hear it. I have a feeling that this might be the so call Totl from AK. They usually only put SS or CU in their totl product. I do like the increased screen size. I hope the power output is as good as the advertisements. But if they are still implementing an external amp option, I am not hopeful. I hate external amp, I want one piece with enough power to drive my Utopia.

The best in terms of a one-piece solution. I have to admit that as good as my AK380Cu sounds, it still falls short of my Mojo+iPhone 7+ in terms of sound. At home I always prefer Mojo but on the go I just use AK380Cu - I use my phone a lot and swiping around with the Mojo connected makes me look stupid. I guess any ready-made DAC solution still can't compete with FPGA solutions like Chord, dCS, MSB etc. For ready-made DAC chips to stand a chance they need to have a crazy array of DACs like the Esoteric does (their flagships have 8 DAC chips per channel, not one), but it would make the size impossible for a portable player. Would like to see Chord release a DAP and not an upgraded portable DAC. That said, I still hope that the SP1000 can beat the Mojo.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #36 of 9,411
The best in terms of a one-piece solution. I have to admit that as good as my AK380Cu sounds, it still falls short of my Mojo+iPhone 7+ in terms of sound. At home I always prefer Mojo but on the go I just use AK380Cu - I use my phone a lot and swiping around with the Mojo connected makes me look stupid. I guess any ready-made DAC solution still can't compete with FPGA solutions like Chord, dCS, MSB etc. For ready-made DAC chips to stand a chance they need to have a crazy array of DACs like the Esoteric does (their flagships have 8 DAC chips per channel, not one), but it would make the size impossible for a portable player. Would like to see Chord release a DAP and not an upgraded portable DAC. That said, I still hope that the SP1000 can beat the Mojo.
I have both the Hugo and the Mojo but for some reason I am not too crazy about the Mojo. But the highly capable AKM 4497 Dac in the SP1000 should be a treat. The first Dap that use the this chip that I am aware of. In general I like the AKM sound and I hope the implementation is done right. I do not find the new design inspiring though. From picture, it looks like the screen is not Oled, another disappointment for me. I did predicted that they will go with the new Dac. I was hoping they will put 512 gb internally but it doesn't look like that will come true. USB C is good. How do you like the Tia? Comparing to my recently acquired Lab 2, it sounds a little veil but I love to hear it again. May be I will pm you when I am in HK next time.

May 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #37 of 9,411
Sad that the Afordable Mojo sounds better than the expensive eye candy dap.

May 16, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #38 of 9,411
I have both the Hugo and the Mojo but for some reason I am not too crazy about the Mojo. But the highly capable AKM 4497 Dac in the SP1000 should be a treat. The first Dap that use the this chip that I am aware of. In general I like the AKM sound and I hope the implementation is done right. I do not find the new design inspiring though. From picture, it looks like the screen is not Oled, another disappointment for me. I did predicted that they will go with the new Dac. I was hoping they will put 512 gb internally but it doesn't look like that will come true. USB C is good. How do you like the Tia? Comparing to my recently acquired Lab 2, it sounds a little veil but I love to hear it again. May be I will pm you when I am in HK next time.

My Tia Fourte won't arrive until the end of this week earliest. Looking forward to pairing up the Fourte with the SP1000. AK chip sound is good but some say it is a bit analytical. Esoteric has been using that extensively so I can vouch for that - the objective of having 8 AK chips per channel is to make it smoother and more musical. Final Audio? No thanks - I use IEMs mostly on the go and there is no use even if it is as resolving as the SR009 if there is zero isolation.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #39 of 9,411
Personally I freaking hate the 2.5mm plug, just do. So that was a deal breaker for me. Now if this thing has 512 GB internal I might reconsider.

May 16, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #40 of 9,411
Anyone taking bet that this SP1000 will be A&K's first smartphone? I think that's 95% certainty...what would be the betting odd like? haha

May 16, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #41 of 9,411
New UI, dual SIM/SD card tray at the top, octa core CPU, 5" screen, SP = Smart Phone...no rear camera tho

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #42 of 9,411
SP1000 a Smart Phone?.jpeg

noticed the cellular signal icon?

May 16, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #43 of 9,411
I think it could be like ipod/ipad functionality but still not a smartphone.

May 16, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #44 of 9,411
TOTL not TOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back