(Newb) PX-100 Upgrade
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DeTrun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm searching for a headphone, which has to sound good unamped (I'll only use it with my portable player or pc), to replace my px-100. I was thinking about the ATH-ES7, Sennheiser 555 or the AKG k181/81 dj. I'll be using the headphones at home, but it would be nice if I could wear them in public (maybe closed-back phones would be better to have, cause they isolate better ^^).

I gotta sleep now, if anyone could help me out, I'd be very happy
icon10.gif

Btw, I kinda dislike in-ears and I listen to all kinds of music, mostly rock, J-pop, classic... If you guys need more info, tell me.

Thanks for helping this newb
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 14
Sennheiser HD-25 was my upgrade from PX100s - they isolate very well (better than almost any cans) and sound very nice too. I think they sound better than K801dj, but that's a matter of taste. HD-25 has a very forward sound, they work especially in rock, pop and all that. I use them with great success with my iPod when I'm travelling to school and such... If the price is too steep, I'd suggest you go with the AKGs.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 14
I think it's actually very difficult to upgrade from the PX100s, at least in terms of portable headphones. For me, they're the best in their class. My upgrade was the UE5 Pros which definitely have the same sound signature.

At the last meet where I heard the K81dj opinions were definitely split down the middle with some of us loving them and some hating them. Personally, I think they sound great, if not very neutral. A good, fun headphone, I'd definitely try and get a pair for a demo.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 14
I like Igrados better than PX100's in most cases.
I have both, and also alot of other portable cans.

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for your replys! the hd-25 is too expensive ^^.

So my list of headphones is:

- ATH-ES7
- K81 dj
- K181 dj
- d1000/1001
- iGrado
- HD 555

Does anyone have some info about the K181 dj and the HD 555? I've read they need to be amped. atm, I'm probably going to buy the ATH-ES7 or the k181/81 dj^^

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 14
Okay, so atm i might buy the ES7. But I've read that there are a lot of ES7 fakes. Is the amazon.com headphone a fake one?

I've also read that the k181dj sounds better than the ES7.
And is the cable of the es7 durable? Durability is important to me ^^.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 14
Don't know between the K81DJ and the ES7 (it's up to each one's sonic preferences), but the K81DJ is a good headphone for their price. I wear them at my job, and they do a pretty good job.

About the ES7 fakes (as well as other AT fakes), the best way to save yourself from a bad surprise is buying from trustworthy online stores like Amazon, AudioCubes and a few others.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Closed headphones sound different from open ones. You might or might not like it. I am among the people who like the sound of open ones better.

I suggest having one dedicated full-size headphones for home use, and keep you PX100 for portable and upgrade them later.

K81DJ sounds unspectacular to me, it's not much of an upgrade from the PX100.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 14
There are quite a few threads here comparing Denon 1001 to the ES7s, with the Denons appearing to come out on top. Might want to check that out. At a lower budget, I second iGrado -- semi-sealed, but by experience sound leaking out is not a huge problem unless you're maxing out volume.

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 14
I've looked up those threads and I think I'll get the ES7. It seems that the Denons sound 'better', but there are people who still prefer the ES7. The Denon 1001 is more comfortable, but I don't really care about comfort^^ and the sound signature of the es7 is what I'm looking for, I guess. And the ES7 looks very nice^^ Thanks for helping me, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back