NEWS: Apple acquires Beats for $3 Billion (Update: Full interview on recode.net)
Jun 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #286 of 303
They don't make a ton on Mac's, but they do on iPhone's. Here's an article on their latest quarterly earnings: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181290-apples-iphone-continues-to-drive-record-quarterly-profits-despite-ipad-sales-stalling

Apple made a profit of $10.2 billion on revenue of $45.6 billion in its second fiscal quarter of 2014, up from $9.5 billion and $43.6 billion respectively for the same period last year. The increase in revenue was mostly bolstered by a big jump in iPhone sales (from 37.4 million to 43.7 million).

iPads are also still big business, even though in this most recent statement they were actually down (I think for the first time ever) - but still, they're VERY profitable. From the same article, regarding iPad:

It’s worth pointing out that sales of 16.35 million is still very, very strong; no other tablet comes close.

I wasn't even getting into the prospect of a Lightning standard, but since you brought it up - honestly do you really think they would eliminate a headphone port COMPLETELY? That would SERIOUSLY piss off (and alienate) a HUGE amount of their customers who wouldn't be able to use ANY of their current headphones. I cannot see them ever doing something so radical. What is more likely is that they'll build in exclusive functionality or advantages when using Lightning, especially in conjunction with Beats headphones. Incentivize that while still retaining the most common standard that EVERY headphone uses is the best of both worlds, and everyone wins. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #287 of 303
I could certainly see them make an premium, ultra-thin device (iPhone Air ?) that sheds the 3.5mm headphone jack for a thinner Lightning port, but they would still offer a model that included a headphone port. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #288 of 303

For this to work, they'd need to start licensing out Lightning to other companies. Your analysis fails to take into consideration that Apple hasn't seen as much userbase growth as say Windows Phone (The numbers will surprise you) or Android.

If anything, this move could eventually end up being similar to when Sony and Samsung were running proprietary standards for their devices.

Dude, I used to own a Zune HD, I liked it very much. The OS was much better than Android or apple, and for that reasons I'd like  windows phone my self, I'm not a huge app person. I just want Gmail, Google Maps and... uhh well that's it 

that said it's good to hear windows is growing 

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #289 of 303
Good news! 

The iPhone 6 will have the 3.5mm headphone jack! 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/06/12/new-iphone-6-photos-leaked-by-taiwanese-pop-star/?partner=yahootix

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #290 of 303
  Good news! 

The iPhone 6 will have the 3.5mm headphone jack! 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/06/12/new-iphone-6-photos-leaked-by-taiwanese-pop-star/?partner=yahootix

Looks almost like iPod Touch 5?

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #291 of 303
Psh. For the first time I'm going to switch from iPod to iPhone and they make the iPhone look just like the ipod I already have! XD

And yes, not almost like, exactly like. The only difference I could see what a tiny little dot next to the power button on the top.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #292 of 303
  Psh. For the first time I'm going to switch from iPod to iPhone and they make the iPhone look just like the ipod I already have! XD

And yes, not almost like, exactly like. The only difference I could see what a tiny little dot next to the power button on the top.

Same dilemma here! 

It's ok, the LTE makes up for it :)

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #293 of 303

http://www.zadtech.com/iphone-6-reportedly-launching-sooner-than-expected.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #294 of 303
  They don't make a ton on Mac's,

I dont know if that is true 'cause I'm returning to college after 15 years (Man, have things changed), and the college I'm going has almost 30 Mac for their computer design classes. So I'm guessing other Colleges / Universities in the US have the same number or even more for their departments.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #295 of 303
I dont know if that is true 'cause I'm returning to college after 15 years (Man, have things changed), and the college I'm going has almost 30 Mac for their computer design classes. So I'm guessing other Colleges / Universities in the US have the same number or even more for their departments.

First of all that's completely anecdotal. Just because you notice a lot of new macs in your school, it doesn't mean anything for the company overall. Regardless, don't get me wrong, they still make a lot of money on computers. Tons of money relative to the rest of the industry. But overall, the vast majority of their profits come from iPhone and iPad related sales. This isn't secret stuff, you can look up the breakdowns of where their sales / profits come from. They're a public company and as such they must disclose this info. To your credit, apple has long had a strong foothold in education, and I think offers a significant educational / student discount on their products, but a lot of those schools are actually moving towards iPads in many situations.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #296 of 303
For any iPhone owners that also happen to own a good pair of headphones and don't want to be forced to throw them away and buy a new pair of lightning-equipped Beats headphones:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-apple-from-getting-rid-of-headphone-jacks-in

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #297 of 303
For any iPhone owners that also happen to own a good pair of headphones and don't want to be forced to throw them away and buy a new pair of lightning-equipped Beats headphones:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-apple-from-getting-rid-of-headphone-jacks-in

The fools in Cupertino will find out when we vote with our wallets.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #298 of 303
Ok. But even if they do it you can still:

- use Bluetooth headphones
- use your old headphones with a dac/amp with the Lightning to USB adapter (like C5D, idsd, Chord mojo and many others).
- use shells like then entrance hifi skÿn

So it's not the end of the world, even if it would happen. Though I doubt it.

Cheers,
K

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #299 of 303
Ok. But even if they do it you can still:

- use Bluetooth headphones
- use your old headphones with a dac/amp with the Lightning to USB adapter (like C5D, idsd, Chord mojo and many others).
- use shells like then entrance hifi skÿn

So it's not the end of the world, even if it would happen. Though I doubt it.

Cheers,
K

Many people have carefully selected sensitive headphones/IEMs so that they can drive them directly without carrying extra gadgets. They will not be pleased if such a dumb decision is made.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #300 of 303
Many people have carefully selected sensitive headphones/IEMs so that they can drive them directly without carrying extra gadgets. They will not be pleased if such a dumb decision is made.

Well let's see if apple would do that, so far nothing but rumors. I still doubt it....but that's why you have choice.

Anyhow. There is always the possibility to just continue to use the carefully matched phone and IEMs then and not to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back