Nikon D3 and D300 officially announced
Aug 23, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 43
Who knows, maybe D3H would be FF too (with 15fps - damn!)

By the way, I wish I could download somewhere the sweet sound of D3 doing that full burst shots... One thing I love about higher end SLRs is the difference in shutter sound.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 43
Oh no, not another camera / body / gear war.
tongue.gif
At least they have released some new higher level lenses. The prices seem a bit higher. These are clearly pro level cameras.
tongue.gif

I'll be looking forward to PhotoExpo later this year.

I'm happy for some competition in the full frame sensor area.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 43
I think thats how D70 used to be too. The characteristic that everyone is raving about but I am not clear yet is about the 922,000 dot LCD monitor. Is that a pixel of dot number cause if its dots they we are talking about 1/3 of the pixels.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks sweet however I'm confused why do both of those camera offer default ISO range start from 200, not 100?

Because ISO-200 is actually the "base" number, and ISO-100 is pushed (as is ISO-50). I almost never shoot at ISO-100 anymore as I find ISO-200 to be the sharpest.

And it's awesome to see Nikon's high-ISO performance finally topping Canon's. I can't wait to see what Canon answers with.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think thats how D70 used to be too. The characteristic that everyone is raving about but I am not clear yet is about the 922,000 dot LCD monitor. Is that a pixel of dot number cause if its dots they we are talking about 1/3 of the pixels.

Yeah, it's a dot number. The screen is VGA (640x480) hence, 1/3 the amount of "dots" to get the actual pixels. Somewhat deceptive way of stating it, but whatever. I don't really give a darn about the screen, so long as it functions acceptably for menus and histograms. Actually, if anything the larger screen just increases the chances that it could become damaged (with a $$$ repair to boot). I haven't seen any pics of these cams with the screen protector, but I'd imagine they'll still have them (I certainly hope so anyway).

This really makes me glad I didn't buy a D200 earlier this year. Now the question becomes, D300 right away, or get a used D200 on the cheap, and wait for D300 prices to come down, and potential bugs to be addressed?

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 43
Finally Canon got some serious competition in the FF market. I thought Nikon would never come out with that. Too bad I bought the D200 not so long ago haha! I kid I kid!
They look real smokin' as well! Can't wait for them to arrive at our store so I can play with the both of them..I love my job
icon10.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This really makes me glad I didn't buy a D200 earlier this year. Now the question becomes, D300 right away, or get a used D200 on the cheap, and wait for D300 prices to come down, and potential bugs to be addressed?

If you are not dying to use the new camera, then it doesn't make sense to spend the $. My sig still applies here, going used is smart. The money saved can go into lenses or other accessories.

I doubt most people use most of these features in the modern cameras let alone these new ones.

It takes time to master a body and it's intricacies and the same goes with lenses. If you keep buying new stuff, I don't think you can appreciate what you already have. Me, I think I'll just be cruising along with what I have. I got me some new lighting gear recently and I'll be messing with that stuff. It's relatively "cheap" also.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's a dot number. The screen is VGA (640x480) hence, 1/3 the amount of "dots" to get the actual pixels. Somewhat deceptive way of stating it, but whatever. I don't really give a darn about the screen, so long as it functions acceptably for menus and histograms. Actually, if anything the larger screen just increases the chances that it could become damaged (with a $$$ repair to boot). I haven't seen any pics of these cams with the screen protector, but I'd imagine they'll still have them (I certainly hope so anyway).

Get a used D200 on the cheap. You are the master of deal finding, afterall.
wink.gif

Otherwise, consider a used D80 on the dirt cheap. Unless you really need the weather sealing, and heavy ass magnesium body. The only thing I like better about the D200 is it meters a little better than the D80.

But otherwise, I prefer the D80's smaller size and less weight.

-Ed

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 43
good thing I got my d200 4 months ago... I would have just waited... but now sice digital photography is a huge market place, they just keep upgrading and putting out newer models. SIGH! anyone wanna buy a d200
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back