NITSCH x Schiit Pietus Maximus Release/Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #181 of 463
Out of curiosity, out of everyone who actually got a physically unit in hand.

What dac are you guys using?

EDIT: Also what gain settings are you guys using? Even though my headphone is sensitive, but I find using high gain + turn volume down feels clearer than low gain + volume up.

At least the volume knob doesn't have channel imbalance at all at any volume.
BF2 OG is my main headphone amp but I also have gungnir A2 in the speaker rig. I was running S12pro 16 ohm IEM at mid gain and still getting close to noon. Mid gain with 300 ohm headphones I was at 3 o clock ish, hi gain about 10 o'clock

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #182 of 463
I’ve been running it for a week with a MM2 in NOS mode. Headphones are Grado 325x (amazingly smooth and crisp punchy base), LCDX ( prefer in high gain so far brings more depth to staging), hd600 with ZMF velours (honestly best they’ve sounded to me), HD6xx with ZMF perforated (prefer these on medium gain volume to about 1-2pm) and various iems - all on medium gain except performer 5 which sounds best on high gain ( brings out more of the treble sweetness)

I’ve not directly compared to other amps or other DACs yet as I really want my brain to adjust to the PMax before I do. If it’s burnin or just my Brain adjusting, I have noticed changes, mostly in the bass. At first it seemed a bit muddy but that changed within a day or two. I now find it deep, very resolving and nuanced. The staging is nor extremely wide, but wide enough to enjoy the separation of notes and instruments. Super black background. I I find it remarkably similar to my headamp ultra desktop with the crossfeed turned on. It almost has that speaker staging feel.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #183 of 463
Does anyone knows how this compares to the Burson Audio Conductor 3X Performance? Would be curious to hear thoughts

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #184 of 463
My pile Schiits just came in. The set up is BiFrost, Lokius, and Jot 2. That’s a big upgrade from my solo Magni Unity. Turns out the equipment that made the biggest sound improvement over all was the Lokius. The knob adjustment is so much better than software EQ.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #185 of 463
Hmmmmmmmmm so I have this awkward situation, like everyone seems to be enjoying the PMax with raving review. Am I the only one that thought while it's good but maybe it's not exactly for me......??????

Or maybe it's my pesky Lawton TH900, because TH900 is notorious for amp picky. Maybe it's not the best pairing????

Or I'm also thinking do I just need to burn in more? Do I need a different dac???? Or is the sound signature just not for me?????

This somehow reminded me of Violectric V200. Which is another super highly regarded amp that I didn't like. I think it roll off too much air for me. Currently I'm having similar issue with PMax where I feel like too much air has been rolled off. And treble a bit too subdued.

Currently using the ES9028 card, I've also tried using RU7's line out, and also tried SDAC. Maybe I'll see what other dac I have lying around........ but typically how long should I expect the burn in process to be?

LOL sorry to be the party pooper when everyone else seems to be having a great time. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

But I keep have this feeling where I miss my tube amps...... sigh........

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #186 of 463
Hmmmmmmmmm so I have this awkward situation, like everyone seems to be enjoying the PMax with raving review. Am I the only one that thought while it's good but maybe it's not exactly for me......??????

Or maybe it's my pesky Lawton TH900, because TH900 is notorious for amp picky. Maybe it's not the best pairing????

Or I'm also thinking do I just need to burn in more? Do I need a different dac???? Or is the sound signature just not for me?????

This somehow reminded me of Violectric V200. Which is another super highly regarded amp that I didn't like. I think it roll off too much air for me. Currently I'm having similar issue with PMax where I feel like too much air has been rolled off. And treble a bit too subdued.

Currently using the ES9028 card, I've also tried using RU7's line out, and also tried SDAC. Maybe I'll see what other dac I have lying around........ but typically how long should I expect the burn in process to be?

LOL sorry to be the party pooper when everyone else seems to be having a great time. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I haven’t heard it personally but most of the reviewers have used ZMF Atrium, Bokeh , JAR600 or Grado. Looks like pairing issue at your end ?

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #187 of 463
I haven’t heard it personally but most of the reviewers have used ZMF Atrium, Bokeh , JAR600 or Grado. Looks like pairing issue at your end ?
Yeah I suspect this might be the case, I'll test it with my wife's Grado SR225e tomorrow and see lol.

Thanks!

(That or I should just buy Bokeh LOLLLL......... shhhhhhhhh............)

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #189 of 463
I'm not familiar with the RU7. I liked the RU6 in NOS, though had it only on a loaner - not with the Pietus.

After switching from the internal Multibit card on Pietus to various DACs, I highly recommend the trying the DAC option. A lot of folks like the ESS, but there is still a synergy required. And as far as burning in time, it does not take long. A couple hours should be fine. Most of the delta I heard (after 3 songs with the internal DAC) were after switching to an external DAC. But don't let the price tag of the amplifier limit you on DAC options. Meaning don't limit yourself to the $100 options you have - go crazy! Try 'em all. Enjoy!

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #190 of 463

You're not the only one. I'm tending to find Pietus to be too tame and laid back while not delivering as much resolution as I typically seek. I didn't particularly care for it with Yggy+ MIB, though it's better with Yggy+ OG which is more dynamic and gives it a bit more life. It's almost like it has warm character of tubes but without the punch. I've been listening with Utopia 2022, HD800S, and HD820 primarily, though I'll be experimenting with other pairings to see if I can work something out that I like.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #191 of 463

Probably not going to transform overnight into the amp of your dreams...

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #192 of 463
After switching from the internal Multibit card on Pietus to various DACs, I highly recommend the trying the DAC option. A lot of folks like the ESS, but there is still a synergy required. And as far as burning in time, it does not take long. A couple hours should be fine. Most of the delta I heard (after 3 songs with the internal DAC) were after switching to an external DAC. But don't let the price tag of the amplifier limit you on DAC options. Meaning don't limit yourself to the $100 options you have - go crazy! Try 'em all. Enjoy!
Ah no wonder my friend recommended me keep 5-6 dacs around for best synergy.

Unfortunately I sold off all the gear I don't use so I don't have too many dacs lying around anymore. 😭
You're not the only one. I'm tending to find Pietus to be too tame and laid back while not delivering as much resolution as I typically seek. I didn't particularly care for it with Yggy+ MIB, though it's better with Yggy+ OG which is more dynamic and gives it a bit more life. It's almost like it has warm character of tubes but without the punch. I've been listening with Utopia 2022, HD800S, and HD820 primarily, though I'll be experimenting with other pairings to see if I can work something out that I like.
Glad to know I'm not crazy, well I mean I'm still crazy but glad to know I'm not the only one LOL.

I think you explained it much better than I did, it's almost it's a bit too relaxed in nature where any treble sparkle has been smoothed out and any bass slam has been subdued.

As for resolution, maybe it's not fair comparison since I'm comparing to tubes, so tubes naturally layer and space out better. And also come with that tube holographic thing. Also I'm paying more so my I have the expectation bias that paying more = should be better? But it end up being more different.

I'll try to fiddle around with it a bit more, but thanks for clarify my suspicion lol. 🙂👍

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #193 of 463
Ah no wonder my friend recommended me keep 5-6 dacs around for best synergy.

Unfortunately I sold off all the gear I don't use so I don't have too many dacs lying around anymore. 😭

Glad to know I'm not crazy, well I mean I'm still crazy but glad to know I'm not the only one LOL.

I think you explained it much better than I did, it's almost it's a bit too relaxed in nature where any treble sparkle has been smoothed out and any bass slam has been subdued.

As for resolution, maybe it's not fair comparison since I'm comparing to tubes, so tubes naturally layer and space out better. And also come with that tube holographic thing. Also I'm paying more so my I have the expectation bias that paying more = should be better? But it end up being more different.

I'll try to fiddle around with it a bit more, but thanks for clarify my suspicion lol. 🙂👍
Are you connected to some power conditioner by any means ? Power conditioner are notorious to kill dynamics.
Let it warm up and don’t switch it off and try.
Again I’m not an owner of this amp but trying out some generic ways to see if it works. However if it is the inherent nature of this amp then that may be the reason why it works so well with Atrium and Yaggdrasil as both are dynamic in nature and may be mitigating the shortcomings of the amp.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #195 of 463
Are you connected to some power conditioner by any means ? Power conditioner are notorious to kill dynamics.
Let it warm up and don’t switch it off and try.
I'm using audiophile grade power strip from one of the world's biggest company owned by one of the richest man. :joy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TP1C1UC/ref=twister_B09LRLD1Z3?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I'm not using power conditioner LOL.

I normally turn on my computer in the morning then I also turn on PMax, then turn off at night when I go to sleep.

Did that for 3 days so far? So it's at least on for 16 hours ish per day? And I typically listen at night time so it's at least on all day.
Again I’m not an owner of this amp but trying out some generic ways to see if it works. However if it is the inherent nature of this amp then that may be the reason why it works so well with Atrium and Yaggdrasil as both are dynamic in nature and may be mitigating the shortcomings of the amp.
Yeah I feel like it might just be the "sound signature" of this amp probably. 😛

But you'd think Lawton TH900 is dynamic enough............. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back