NocturnaL Audio Custom IEM Discussion and Impressions
Mar 1, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #16 of 35
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I posted impressions of Nocturnal Audio's latest product - the Avalon - on @flinkenick's Ranking the Stars thread. There, I talked about their new AEX technology and how it affected sound, as well as why I think the Avalon currently poses one of the most outstanding price-to-performance ratios in the v-shaped, fun-oriented market. Enjoy! :D

Nocturnal Audio Avalon

10068942.png

The Avalon is a 3-driver IEM from Singaporean manufacturer, Nocturnal Audio. They’re a relatively young company in the custom in-ear space - entering the market after spending a considerable period in aftermarket cables and reshells. And, their experience certainly shows. My Avalon’s are equipped with dyed-wood faceplates and swirled acrylic shells. Fit and finish are excellent, especially the clear horn bores at the end of the monitor. The Nocturnal Audio folks also pride themselves in excellent customer service. Communication is always swift, thorough and pleasant, and I couldn’t be happier to review such a promising product from such a promising company.

The Avalon is the first Nocturnal Audio IEM to adopt their AEX technology. A combination of acoustic treatment and innovative electrical cross-overs, the Avalon utilises a solid capacitor for high-pass filtering as well as a specially-tweaked sound tube for the bass drivers - ensuring a clean transition from the bass to the midrange. And, this is certainly the highlight of the Avalon’s enthralling, speedy and clear V-shaped response. Lifts in the mid-bass and the upper-midrange/lower-treble endow the Avalon’s signature with an addictive sense of fun as well as exceptional clarity and air - invoking the energy of IEMs like the Lime Ears Aether and the Jomo Samba. Although midrange notes become somewhat dry and crisp in the process, they’re bolstered by excellent clarity and outstanding articulation.

The Avalon’s background is one of the cleanest and blackest I’ve ever heard, increasing the Avalon’s overall sense of transparency. This also helps establish the Avalon’s stage dimensions, maintaining great spatial resolution no matter how busy tracks can get. Also to praise for this is the Avalon's low-end. Boasting excellent authority, it simultaneously displays explosive impact, impressive definition and zero bleed. It’s magic coming from the company’s AEX technology, and I look forward to its implementation in future products to come. Treble notes are well-formed, benefitting from a lower-treble peak. Listening to harsher recordings isn’t ever a problem, though a lack of richness in the midrange can eventually get fatiguing over time. Nevertheless, the Avalon excels at detail retrieval, doing so whilst maintaining admirable headroom and bounds of dynamic energy.

In my books, the Avalon is an absolutely remarkable achievement - aiming high in the energetic, V-shaped CIEM scene, and proving itself a worthy contender in the overall mid-tier market.

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 35
Has anyone faced the problem of hiss with Atlantis?

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 35
Has anyone faced the problem of hiss with Atlantis?

The hiss you experience comes from your source device/amp/DAC/whatever device the Atlantis is plugged into. This is fairly "normal" if that source doesn't have a really good SNR, and will be made audible with sensitive in-ears. This is likely also why you haven't experienced any hiss with other in-ears or full-size headphones as their sensitivity isn't as high, this not making the hiss audible yet.
Workaround: getting a different source device that doesn't hiss with sensitive in-ears, or get a ready-made voltage divider such as the ifi iEMatch.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #19 of 35
The hiss you experience comes from your source device/amp/DAC/whatever device the Atlantis is plugged into. This is fairly "normal" if that source doesn't have a really good SNR, and will be made audible with sensitive in-ears. This is likely also why you haven't experienced any hiss with other in-ears or full-size headphones as their sensitivity isn't as high, this not making the hiss audible yet.
Workaround: getting a different source device that doesn't hiss with sensitive in-ears, or get a ready-made voltage divider such as the ifi iEMatch.
That's pretty obvious. The thing is that Nocturnal Audio doesn't provide customers with the info about sensitivity :frowning2:

Actually, Calyx M's amp is extremely quiet. However, I can't stand hiss at all after several years of owning Tera Player, so I always ask about current IEM's sensitivity if I can't test them before the purchase :)

Speaking about your own experience, is Atlantis extremely sensitive like CA Andromeda of Lear LCM-5?

Mar 7, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #20 of 35
That's pretty obvious.

Sorry buddy - sometimes (actually not even that rarely) there are people who think that the hiss is produced by their newly acquired, very sensitive passive in-ear/headphone. They then assume that the headphone is defective. From your short question it wasn't 100% obvious whether you were aware of that the source is producing the hiss or if you were thinking that the in-ear is defective. :beerchug:

Speaking about your own experience, is Atlantis extremely sensitive like CA Andromeda of Lear LCM-5?

Frankly I haven't used the Atlantis with any sources that aren't basically perfectly quiet yet (only with my iBasso DX90, Leckerton UHA-6S.MkII (low gain), the DX200, Cowon Plenue 2 and Zorloo ZuperDAC-S, and out of that bunch the DX200 is the "hissiest" in comparison (with other IEMs such as my SE846 or the Ostry KC06A) although on its own it is very, very close to being perfectly hiss-free even with those extremely sensitive IEMs).

So well, I just went ahead and tried the Atlantis with some other sources that are quiet, but not as perfect as the ones mentioned above, and compared it to the extremely sensitive Ostry KC06A and my Shure SE846 that is extremely sensitive as well, albeit a tad less than the even surprisingly slightly more sensitive single dynamic driver Ostry IEM: the FiiO Q1 MkII used as a USB DAC, my Chord Mojo, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII in high gain, and last but not least my FiiO X3 (first generation). The result: the Ostry and Shure are ultimately more sensitive, although just by a little. Where the Shure and Ostry unveiled faint hissing, the NocturnaL Atlantis was just a little bit quieter ("very faint"). So yes, it could indeed be called very sensitive, and it's definitely not far from being extremely sensitive, although I wouldn't call it that.

- - -

Ah, I thought you already had the Atlantis. Although I have never experienced the Calyx M, it is, to my knowledge and as you said yourself, an extremely quiet DAP (at least reliable sources and other users' experiences report that), so it should be quiet with the Atlantis.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 35
Bump for this thread - has anyone went through a reshell service with Nocturnal? I'm in the US. How did it go?

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 35
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 35
@gemmoglock did Nocturnal do a good job with your reshell?
Thanks for the bump :wink:

@Drunkenmunkey I have no complaints for NocturnaL, just note that they take a really long time due to their build queue so keep that in mind! Take a look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/92ioox/anyone_remembers_the_earwerkz_supra_kickstarter/ My blue swirl didn't turn out as nice as that for @Deezel177 you see above >< There are some small bubbles on the inner shell but overall it feels solid and the faceplates were done nicely. Definitely not below average.

Disclaimer - my Linum Bax G1 right side cut out on me yesterday. I haven't had time to troubleshoot but it should be a cable problem, I've switched to the stock Earwerkz cable for now and the Supras are working fine.

Edit with pic:
co1bwbkinlc11.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #26 of 35
Hey guys! In anticipation of the Eden's release, I've published my review of Nocturnal Audio's 3-driver Avalon - featuring the premier of AEX Technology, which will also feature on the Eden. I'd really appreciate a read. Enjoy! :D

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #30 of 35
so what´s your first impression?

Hey man! Apologies for forgetting to update the thread. I'm still putting the finishing touches on my CanJam article, and I'm in a queue with my other colleagues, so I'll only be able to post the full thing in approximately a week. But, the Eden section is very much completed, so I don't see why I can't post it here first. :wink:

Nocturnal Audio

Sat on literally the same table as Rhapsodio’s stable were Singapore’s very own Nocturnal Audio. I recently took a look at their 3-driver Avalon custom IEMs, and they debuted their new 5-driver flagship at the show. Ironically, given their booth next to Rhapsodio’s, it was also called Eden. Alongside Eden were an entirely new line of cables called the EVO Series. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to try out those cables, but I did give the Eden a long, thorough and surprising listen.

CJSG-SLT-5 copy.jpg

Nocturnal Audio Eden: The Eden is a musical all-rounder with strengths – surprisingly – in midrange linearity and tonal balance. Given the Avalon’s brave v-shape, I did not expect something so elegantly balanced. In timbre too, the Eden succeeds in bringing a wet emotionality that I felt the Avalon lacked. That upper-bass/lower-mid content that I’d been craving has finally arrived. Treble is much more refined as well. It isn’t as sharply-edged, but it’s articulate all the same.

The low-end is similar in positioning to the Avalon, but what’s improved is body, fullness and warmth. It isn’t perhaps as resolving and physical as some of the dD-driven IEMs I’ve heard. But, for the price it’s targeting, there’s a naturalness that many of its peers seem to neglect. Imaging and stage stability are strong as well. Obviously, you’ll get neither the clarity nor the crispness of the Avalon, but I believe the Eden is the more sophisticated, mature and balanced of the two.

CJSG-SLT-4.jpg

With the Avalon, there was a concern in me that Nocturnal Audio was going to steer a certain way house-sound-wise, but I’m so, so glad to be proven wrong. The Eden is one of the most well-balanced, sophisticated all-rounders I’ve heard at this price. It reminds me of hearing the FlipEars AXIS in Japan last year. I think I’ve found another hidden gem yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back