Non-peaky treble headphones
May 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ValkyrJunkie

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm interested in picking up some $100-$150 headphones and I was looking at things like Sennheiser HD 558 or V-MODA Crossfade LP. However, I have a big concern. My only experience with $100 and up headphones was with my friends AKG240's, while using them I noticed a problem. Whenever a cymbal is hit or someone says a word that has the S sound it would hurt my ears. It wasn't his set up as the same thing happened even when hooked up to something of mine. I've seen the term "peaky treble" which sounds like the problem or maybe my ears are too sensitive? I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

As a side note, I noticed this problem with the high priced Turtle Beach headphones as well.

May 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Sennheiser hd 380 pro

That one sometimes comes out with quite peaky treble.  HD280 can also have the issue.

The only Sennheisers that are sure not to have peaky treble in that price range are HD205 or HD4x9/4x8, but I think HD205 outclasses the 400s.  There should be better options than Sennheisers, however.  Or you can try your luck with HD380.

If you do not mind buying used, the Shure SRH840 is a great option.  ATH-M50x (not the older ATH-M50) seems like another good option, if you buy used.  M50x does not have the big treble peak that its predecessor has from response graphs that I've seen, so it may be worth a shot.  I like HD380 and SRH840 better than the old M50.

If all else fails, haha, try the Creative Aurvana Live! 2.  It is very close to SRH840/HD380/M50 in quality.
I like that one better than M50 as well. 
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 9
That one sometimes comes out with quite peaky treble.  HD280 can also have the issue.

The only Sennheisers that are sure not to have peaky treble in that price range are HD205 or HD4x9/4x8, but I think HD205 outclasses the 400s.  There should be better options than Sennheisers, however.  Or you can try your luck with HD380.

If you do not mind buying used, the Shure SRH840 is a great option.  ATH-M50x (not the older ATH-M50) seems like another good option, if you buy used.  M50x does not have the big treble peak that its predecessor has from response graphs that I've seen, so it may be worth a shot.  I like HD380 and SRH840 better than the old M50.

If all else fails, haha, try the Creative Aurvana Live! 2.  It is very close to SRH840/HD380/M50 in quality.
I like that one better than M50 as well.  :D  

Funny you think the 380 has peaky trebles, I think it has quite gentle highs and not peaky at all. I use the 380 with an ipod classic and the just audio uha 120 amp and it tames the otherwise somewhat irritating highs in the ipod, leaving me with a very pleasing sound. It has a bit of forward mids that gives you a very clear presentation of voices, these forward mids do mellow out a bit during the first 10 or 20 hours of use though.
Measurements are not the last word but I think this measurement of the hd 380 corresponds very well with my impressions http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&category=275&search_target=title&search_keyword=Hd+380&document_srl=13496

May 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 9
Funny you think the 380 has peaky trebles, I think it has quite gentle highs and not peaky at all. I use the 380 with an ipod classic and the just audio uha 120 amp and it tames the otherwise somewhat irritating highs in the ipod, leaving me with a very pleasing sound. It has a bit of forward mids that gives you a very clear presentation of voices, these forward mids do mellow out a bit during the first 10 or 20 hours of use though.
Measurements are not the last word but I think this measurement of the hd 380 corresponds very well with my impressions http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&category=275&search_target=title&search_keyword=Hd+380&document_srl=13496

Buy a dozen HD380s.  Some will have peaky treble.

May 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm guessing from the replies that peaky treble headphones seem to dominate in the price range I gave. Does this also apply to higher price ranges such as $200-$300? Thanks for the advice, I'm going over the headphones listed so far.

May 5, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm guessing from the replies that peaky treble headphones seem to dominate in the price range I gave. Does this also apply to higher price ranges such as $200-$300? Thanks for the advice, I'm going over the headphones listed so far.

My best advice to you is that you listen before you buy, no matter which headphone you choose.
Given the comment above on the 380's and peaky trebles(or not), it has become rather difficult if not impossible to recommend... Too bad, because it sounds really good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back