!!!Noob looking for expert ideas/advice!!!
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shanek248

New Head-Fier
Hey

Ive posted this elsewhere already but feel it may have been the wrong area since I got no answers at all! Not even answers telling me what a stupid question it is and how its been asked 75,000 times before. Which you expect at least a few of!

I have been thinking of getting a set of ATH AD700 headphones due to the rave reviews they have been getting here and elsewhere for some time now. I need them for gaming. 100% gaming.

I play FPS games on PS3 and do not have an Astro mixamp. I do however run my PS3 through HDMI to my Onkyo 509 (TX-NR509). So at the moment I already have great surround through my 5.1 system. I do however wish to be able to game chat and my wife cant take the noise and also practices piano in the same room. Which I cant take!  (I am aware there is no built in mic but I am willing to do a fix since these are apparently worth it for the quality...)

Now I am hoping I can save some cash and connect a set of AD700s through my audio receiver. Is this possible? I mean is this going to work in the same way? Will the directional positioning be as good? I get the impression that the standard Jack in most Audio Receivers doesn't output a surround signal. Does this mean the AD700s + AStro Mixamp is the only way to go?

I would love some ideas from you guys on the best bang for my buck I can get given the set-up I already have.

Thanks!

PS - I also have a Broken set of Tritton AX-Pro that Im trying to get fixed. All that is wrong with it is a loose cable at the point where it connects to the headset. Is there any kind of DIY fix I can do with the tritton Mix-Amp that will work.

THANKS!!!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 3
A quick google search found some nice looking surround sound headphones for under $100 bucks... but the last word in the thread title is advice. Take it from a guy who has owned almost every console since pong in 1975...every minute you spend on gaming is a minute your wife has to find something to do on her own...Very dangerous. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 3
HAHA... Thanks for the sage advice. I myself have been console gaming only since NES and have most good consoles made since then... But that aside this is not really the advice I was looking for. My wife and I are on firm ground and my gaming is not a problem. Thankfully!!

The real problem is wanting to get a good headset for directional positioning without spending 100s of Euro on it! And really what I was trying to find out is whether or not the ONKYO 509 outputs a signal that surround headsets or the ad700s can use. Specifically if  plugging into the headphone jack provides the same or similar signal to the Astro MIxamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back