*NOOB* Looking for starter headphones ~ $200-250
Nov 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

r3dMuGeN

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Ive been looking at a few threads here and there, first time posting.
I've just been using stock ipod earbuds and razor moray? earbuds, I have a Corsair HS1 PC headset at home also.

Im looking for something dedicated to my music (ipod touch4, or PC)
I listen to a variety of stuff, rap, techno, dubstep, r/b, classical

I just need some decent noob starter headphones, something a step up from basic earbuds
Ive looked around the forums and limited my choices down to several
Shure840, ATH-M50, AKG K701/702, Beyer-DT770, Senn HD-598

at this point, i think (from what ive read), for all-round quality Shures are the way the go?
Amp is to come later on once ive set into the headset (probably FiiO E7 or E11?)

advice?
Thanks

(please try to keep lingo noob friendly, im still learning) =]

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 47
Your specified budget already allows for more than entry-level headphones.

Considering the genres you listen to, and how it's mostly bass emphasized genres as well as EDM, I'd recommend you to look into the Ultrasone HFI-580 (quality bass with the overall sound having clarity as well), or alternatively the Ultrasone HFI-780, which is a more balanced set with slightly less bass than the HFI-580 but more refined.

In any case, you have to know whether you want closed or open headphones, if they are easy to drive, also posting if your PC has an onboard audio chip, an internal soundcard or a USB DAC.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 47
Heya,

Closed back:

Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750

Open air:

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
Sennheiser HD595
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Hifiman HE-300

Either use a sound card with an onboard amplifier (Xonar DG, DGX, STX), or consider a simple external setup, like a Fiio E10 (or E7 or E17 if you want desktop & portable in one device), or if you have an old AVR sitting around, you can use that, or you can get inexpensive tube amps like the MUSE (see ebay).

Very best,

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 47
Hey guys,

Ive been looking at a few threads here and there, first time posting.
I've just been using stock ipod earbuds and razor moray? earbuds, I have a Corsair HS1 PC headset at home also.

Im looking for something dedicated to my music (ipod touch4, or PC)
I listen to a variety of stuff, rap, techno, dubstep, r/b, classical

I just need some decent noob starter headphones, something a step up from basic earbuds
Ive looked around the forums and limited my choices down to several
Shure840, ATH-M50, AKG K701/702, Beyer-DT770, Senn HD-598

at this point, i think (from what ive read), for all-round quality Shures are the way the go?
Amp is to come later on once ive set into the headset (probably FiiO E7 or E11?)

advice?
Thanks

(please try to keep lingo noob friendly, im still learning) =]

Just wanted to confirm your use of these headphones. Primarily at home or on the go?

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 47
Your specified budget already allows for more than entry-level headphones.

Considering the genres you listen to, and how it's mostly bass emphasized genres as well as EDM, I'd recommend you to look into the Ultrasone HFI-580 (quality bass with the overall sound having clarity as well), or alternatively the Ultrasone HFI-780, which is a more balanced set with slightly less bass than the HFI-580 but more refined.

In any case, you have to know whether you want closed or open headphones, if they are easy to drive, also posting if your PC has an onboard audio chip, an internal soundcard or a USB DAC.

+1 on the HFI 780 if you are not going to be using an amp.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 47
Your specified budget already allows for more than entry-level headphones. In any case, you have to know whether you want closed or open headphones, if they are easy to drive, also posting if your PC has an onboard audio chip, an internal soundcard or a USB DAC.

im not too sure what the exact definition of closed or open headphones are?
im looking for ones that are like my corsair HS1 PC headset, so closed i assume?

how will i determine if they're easy to drive or not?
No i did not purchase a sound card, so its on-board
and i plan to get a amp sometime in the future as i suggested in my first post

If i lowered the budget to 100-200, are there cheaper recommendations for entry level headphones?
i wouldnt mind that either, bang for the buck is what im looking for mostly

Just wanted to confirm your use of these headphones. Primarily at home or on the go?

Im mainly using them at home with an ipod, sometimes on my PC.
Or on the go, when im out somewhere

Thanks for the quick reply guys

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:
im not too sure what the exact definition of closed or open headphones are?
im looking for ones that are like my corsair HS1 PC headset, so closed i assume?
how will i determine if they're easy to drive or not?
No i did not purchase a sound card, so its on-board
and i plan to get a amp sometime in the future as i suggested in my first post
If i lowered the budget to 100-200, are there cheaper recommendations for entry level headphones?
i wouldnt mind that either, bang for the buck is what im looking for mostly
Im mainly using them at home with an ipod, sometimes on my PC.
Or on the go, when im out somewhere
Thanks for the quick reply guys

Closed headphones have better isolation and often more impactful bass but with more cramped soundstage, while open headphones have bigger soundstage, with airy sound but they have little to no isolation, meaning you will listen to anything on your surroundings as well as people hearing what you're listening to.

Since you also use headphones outdoors, you should get closed headphones due to better isolation.

Both the HFI-580 and HFI-780 are below $200, both are closed models.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 47
i see..... yes i plan to get closed headphones then
unfortunately, there are limited in suppliers for stuff like this in my area
and amazon.ca does not have any in stock and are 230-260 before tax
so ill need to to amazon.com and pay shipping (which i dont mind) since it's like 160 before tax/shipping

Would a FiiO E11 amp or E7 amp/dac be a good investment? or should that come later on?

the difference in price between the HFi780 and my first choice of the Shure840 is like 20 bux
would the 780's still be the better choice?

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:
i see..... yes i plan to get closed headphones then
unfortunately, there are limited in suppliers for stuff like this in my area
and amazon.ca does not have any in stock and are 230-260 before tax
so ill need to to amazon.com and pay shipping (which i dont mind) since it's like 160 before tax/shipping
Would a FiiO E11 amp or E7 amp/dac be a good investment? or should that come later on?
the difference in price between the HFi780 and my first choice of the Shure840 is like 20 bux
would the 780's still be the better choice?

Amp wise, E11 pairs better with the HFI-780 than the E7's amp section.

For the majority of genres you listen to, I find the HFI-780 to be a better option, with classical being a genre where it doesn't perform as well (not that bad, though).

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 47
cool

Here's what im looking at atm
Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones, and FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier With Micca Accessory Pack (Wall Charger and Extra Battery Pack)

anything i should take note of IF i decide to get these?
will these work with my ipod4/pc? anything else i need to install or such?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:
cool
Here's what im looking at atm
Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones, and FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier With Micca Accessory Pack (Wall Charger and Extra Battery Pack)
anything i should take note of IF i decide to get these?
will these work with my ipod4/pc? anything else i need to install or such?

Nothing regarding the headphones.

Do note the E11 can't be used while charging. In order to for you to get optimal results with iDevices, you will need to get a LOD (line-out dock) in order to bypass the internal amp, but it will work without issues with PCs.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:
Heya,

Closed back:

Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750

Open air:

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
Sennheiser HD595
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Hifiman HE-300

Either use a sound card with an onboard amplifier (Xonar DG, DGX, STX), or consider a simple external setup, like a Fiio E10 (or E7 or E17 if you want desktop & portable in one device), or if you have an old AVR sitting around, you can use that, or you can get inexpensive tube amps like the MUSE (see ebay).

Very best,

+1 on DT770

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:
Heya,

Closed back:

Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750

Open air:

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
Sennheiser HD595
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Hifiman HE-300

Very best,

just curious, why did you pick the HD595 over the HD598?

OP: DT770 vote from me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back