Not Sure What Earphones to Get
Sep 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TheFragileOne

Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I'm not sure what type of headphones to buy. I currently use JVC HA-FX67 as my earbuds and Logitech Z623's as computer speakers. I also have a pair of Woodees IESW200B's in my drawer. Should I use those instead of the JVC's? I'm not good at telling which is better. It seems that the JVC's have more bass and I'm not sure about the mid's, high's and all that technical stuff, but I think the Woodees sound better with other things. I will be using my iPhone 4S as my audio device.

Anyway, I'm not too sure on what headphones to buy. I'd really like to spend under $80, but I suppose I may go to $100 or a tad more since my Logitech's were $100. But I probably won't buy these till around Christmas or Cyber Monday. I listen to all music genres pretty much. But mainly Hip-Hop/Rap, Alternative and Rock. By rock I mean stuff like Sleeping With Sirens, Rise Against, and some heavier rock. I don't want big headphones seen as how I use my earbuds to listen while at school and I'd rather not carry around a giant pair of headphones. My friend has a pair of V-MODA Vibrato's and they sound awesome to me.

I was looking at Klipsch S4i's, Nuforce NE-700X and ViSang VS-R03. I don't have a clue about any others and which are better and why. If someone could link me a thread that explains technical music stuff better, like how to understand the graphs comparing headphones and such, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help guys.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 24
I wonder if you could describe what it is you liked about your friends V-Moda versus what you're using now?  Better defined bass?  Easier to follow the vocals?  Better balanced low versus highs?  Better isolation from outside sounds with the V-Moda's?  

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 24
I don't notice isolation usually because I never hear anything going on around me when I listen to music anyway. But everything sounded better. But I want good earphones that have better vocals and instrumentals. Bass isn't a huge issue but I'd still like to hear it easily and feel it if possible. But I have my Z623's for bassy music while I'm at home.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 24
Another model in this price range you might want to consider is the Yuin PK3. I have a feeling the Klipsch models may be more durable, however. There's also the idea to wait -- never good at this myself! -- until you can break the $100 and you'll have a lot more options.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 24
I dislike earphones like the Yuin, I find them not comfortable for my ears. Depends on how much over $100 it is. I'm probably going to wait till Cyber Monday and grab something then. I was also thinking of Head-Direct RE0's as those look good too.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 24
Shure SE215s are nice all-rounders, and they're readily available in big-brand retail stores, so they are more likely to have a sale on them during Cyber Monday. I hear the GR06s are nice as well. I had the RE0s for a few months, for rap and hip-hop, not that great, even if you aren't looking for a lot of bass. How far can you stretch above $100? 

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 24
+1 for the Shures. You can get the for $80 from earphonesolutions (%20 off).

Sense you only have a couple headphones its hard to know whats good, but when you get more into them you need to listen and decide for your self. I'm not saying you need to buy one of every thing to try but if you can't tell if something is better than its probably not. If you keep dropping money on something just because someone else says its "better" you will waste a lot of money, but once you get into $100+ headphones your wont ever go back.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Shure SE215s are nice all-rounders, and they're readily available in big-brand retail stores, so they are more likely to have a sale on them during Cyber Monday. I hear the GR06s are nice as well. I had the RE0s for a few months, for rap and hip-hop, not that great, even if you aren't looking for a lot of bass. How far can you stretch above $100? 

Yeah, I was also looking at the Shure's, they looked good. Good info on the RE0's, didn't know that about them. And I'm only 16 and my parents usually don't buy me things, so not too much over $100. Maybe $120?

Quote:
+1 for the Shures. You can get the for $80 from earphonesolutions (%20 off).

Sense you only have a couple headphones its hard to know whats good, but when you get more into them you need to listen and decide for your self. I'm not saying you need to buy one of every thing to try but if you can't tell if something is better than its probably not. If you keep dropping money on something just because someone else says its "better" you will waste a lot of money, but once you get into $100+ headphones your wont ever go back.

Thanks for the earphonesolutions tip.

I definitely notice when headphones sound better. I can easily tell the difference but I couldn't compare two. Like, if you gave me one pair and another I could say which I find to be better, but I couldn't tell you which had better highs, mids, lows, and that sort of stuff. I get the general idea of that, but I can't tell mids apart very well.

Quote:

In my first post I said I wasn't looking for headphones (maybe I didn't explain it right?). But, I like to listen at school and it'd be too much of a hassle for big headphones. :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Yeah, I was also looking at the Shure's, they looked good. Good info on the RE0's, didn't know that about them. And I'm only 16 and my parents usually don't buy me things, so not too much over $100. Maybe $120?

I wish my parents would buy me some headphones...they still pretty much have no clue what mine cost as of now.

The Shures are very durable for school use and such. The cable is sturdy, but a bit rigid and unwieldy. I've heard some conflicting reports on the cable connector though. It's the usual Shure fare, so if you have small ears, sometimes the connector can grind painfully because the plastic wasn't sanded down properly. Much, much better than the RE0s, which broke down after 3 months.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
I wish my parents would buy me some headphones...they still pretty much have no clue what mine cost as of now.

Lol, I wish mine would buy me stuff. But I don't ask for much, which is why I'm buying these myself.

Quote:Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Shures are very durable for school use and such. The cable is sturdy, but a bit rigid and unwieldy. I've heard some conflicting reports on the cable connector though. It's the usual Shure fare, so if you have small ears, sometimes the connector can grind painfully because the plastic wasn't sanded down properly. Much, much better than the RE0s, which broke down after 3 months.

I don't think I have small ears. I usually use the normal tips that come on earphones, so I'd assume average? I've never tried headphones over the ear. Is it bothersome or is it easy to get used to?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
I don't think I have small ears. I usually use the normal tips that come on earphones, so I'd assume average? I've never tried headphones over the ear. Is it bothersome or is it easy to get used to?

I can't imagine ever going back to wearing IEMs normally again. Over the ear just has so many benefits, it's astounding that people don't do it by default
1: Less microphonics
2: When you take them out of the ear, you can just keep them hanging over the ear for convenience
3: Wear them over-the-ear, behind the back of your body. They become completely unobtrusive to you, I found with the cables tightened at the front, it really irritated my throat. This way, you can also hide the things completely. I can sneak a listen or two during class time, and the teacher is never the wiser.

I never got how they would be uncomfortable, except maybe with those pair that have crappy memory wire.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
I can't imagine ever going back to wearing IEMs normally again. Over the ear just has so many benefits, it's astounding that people don't do it by default
1: Less microphonics
2: When you take them out of the ear, you can just keep them hanging over the ear for convenience
3: Wear them over-the-ear, behind the back of your body. They become completely unobtrusive to you, I found with the cables tightened at the front, it really irritated my throat. This way, you can also hide the things completely. I can sneak a listen or two during class time, and the teacher is never the wiser.

I never got how they would be uncomfortable, except maybe with those pair that have crappy memory wire.

Ah I see, by being uncomfortable I meant do you feel like wire and does it ever like tingle/bother, ya know? But I'd assume I'd get used to it pretty fast.

Also, what's microphonics, I saw it in ljokerl's IEM thread but wasn't too sure what it was. Is it when the cord rubs against something you hear it in your ear or something like that?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Ah I see, by being uncomfortable I meant do you feel like wire and does it ever like tingle/bother, ya know? But I'd assume I'd get used to it pretty fast. Only with a bad cable/memory wire. Don't see why it would tingle.

Also, what's microphonics, I saw it in ljokerl's IEM thread but wasn't too sure what it was. Is it when the cord rubs against something you hear it in your ear or something like that? Basically that. Also sort of related to bone conduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back