Novice needs help with denon ah-d7000 and amp. Please help!
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Choseph

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!,

Its nice to join your community. As many of you will tell, I am a new member of this community and therefor lack in a bit of information. BUT! I'm very eager to learn as much as I can.

Currently I want to buy the denon ah-d7000, and I am pretty set on that. But I need to know what kinda of amp / dac system I would need. This is the first hi end can, and system I will be getting. I will mostly be listening to music from my desktop computer at school as well.

It would be optimal if I could get a portable amp/dac that would allow me to fully optimize these headphones. But if that is not possible, a desktop one wouldn't be bad ether.

Your reply's would be most appreciated, as I do need a lot of help, and do not know much.

TEACH ME HEAD-FI MASTERS!

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 15
Welcome!

You can find a lot of great information on the D7k in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/333953/denon-ah-d7000 including some information on DAC and Amp combinations. They don't need a monster to drive them, but that's not to say they don't ramp up nicely with better amps. You'll find many prefer a good SS amp.

I've liked mine with several of my amps including the Gilmore Lite and the Headroom Micro Amp. With the right tubes I also enjoy them with my Little Dot I+ hybrid. For something small and portable I've been surprised and pleased with how they sound with the Pico DAC/AMP. If you surf that thread a little you might get a flavor for a combo that seems to match up with your listening preferences.

Good luck with your search, if you settle on the Denon's I'm sure you'll be quite pleased.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 15
I use the FiiO E7/E9 dac/amp combo and it works great with my D7K's.

Paid $190 for the combo.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 15
Thank you for the responses! I have been doing a bit of research, and I keep hearing that these cans have a very low ohm rating of 25, therefore do not need a powerful amp to drive them. 

So I started to think. What would happen if I only got a DAC and no amp and plugged the cans directly to the DAC? is this possible?

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 15
You can pick up a FiiO E7 which is a small amp/DAC and you will have decent sound but the addition of the E9 definitely makes the Denons sing.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 15
I was looking into the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC 1. How does that compare with the FiiO E7, with and without the E9?

Can you tell me the strength and weaknesses of both setups?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 15
I have no experience with the Maverick.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 15
I have heard about folks plugging directly into DAC's, but I think they typically had specific reasons to do it, such as wanting to run a balanced headphone out of a balanced DAC when they did not have a balanced amp.  A few issues you'd need to consider:
  1. Volume control:  Some DACs are not easily controlled from the computer/source and don't have volume knobs, so control can be tricky.
  2. Output Power: The Denon's don't require much, but even without an amp you'd want a DAC that has enough output to properly drive your headphone.

I'd suggest a more traditional set up.

I've not heard either the DAC1 or the E7/E9 combo, but I'd be surprised if the E7 would compare well to a full sized amp without it's E9 partner.  

I've always thought that the E7/E9 combo would be a nice starter system.  You get a DAC, a decent desk top set up, and a portable rig.  Reports seem quite positive on the SQ.

Quote:
I was looking into the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC 1. How does that compare with the FiiO E7, with and without the E9?

Can you tell me the strength and weaknesses of both setups?

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm still a beginner. So I would rather spend most of my money on the cans, then upgrade the system later on, and then purchase a new set. I am only looking to spend $200.

Although the fiio 7/9 is portable, I'm more looking into sound quality, I'm not sure If I will be moving these cans around. Anyone know a comparison to the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC 1.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Try over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread

Quote:
I'm still a beginner. So I would rather spend most of my money on the cans, then upgrade the system later on, and then purchase a new set. I am only looking to spend $200.

Although the fiio 7/9 is portable, I'm more looking into sound quality, I'm not sure If I will be moving these cans around. Anyone know a comparison to the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC 1.

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 15

You might consider, if not now at some point, the HDP.   I think goes really well with the d7000.   I actually have a D 1, but since I've gotten it I've only used it as a tube DAC for an Asgard with the d7K.   That was really brief since the denons are on a leave of absence while I adjust to the HE-500 (HDP/Lyr).   If I get a chance I'll try the D 1 and let you know what I think.  Two things: For the most part I listen to classical and opera so what I look for may be quite different from what you're looking for, and having made it through an earthquake on Tuesday, a fire at work today, there's a hurricane scheduled for tomorrow. Might be several days before I get around to trying it out.  

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 15
The pico dac amp combo is excellent. The headroom uda is also excellent. Leckerton UHA-4 was pretty good to good. Dacmagic into a dynalo was also quite good, and a set up I used for most of a year before I moved up to the UDA. I believe the OP mentioned portable - the pico dac/amp was really nice, if a bit pricy. They still run about $350 used.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi!,

Its nice to join your community. As many of you will tell, I am a new member of this community and therefor lack in a bit of information. BUT! I'm very eager to learn as much as I can.

Currently I want to buy the denon ah-d7000, and I am pretty set on that. But I need to know what kinda of amp / dac system I would need. This is the first hi end can, and system I will be getting. I will mostly be listening to music from my desktop computer at school as well.

It would be optimal if I could get a portable amp/dac that would allow me to fully optimize these headphones. But if that is not possible, a desktop one wouldn't be bad ether.

Your reply's would be most appreciated, as I do need a lot of help, and do not know much.

TEACH ME HEAD-FI MASTERS!

Welcome! You've certainly picked an exciting time to join an exciting and thriving hobby. Also, I applaud your efforts to get through the USNA. I'm a current D7000 user and love it - I find that it does quite well with a wide variety of genres and musical styles. I haven't tried the cans with anything portable yet, as I have been too excited to keep them busy in the main system the last two months since I've had them.

But as a previous poster suggested (shipsupt), you could get to the heart of recommendations and other's experiences quickly by reading/scanning the Denon AH-D7000 thread. Looking forward to watching your growth and enjoyment!
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I have heard about folks plugging directly into DAC's, but I think they typically had specific reasons to do it, such as wanting to run a balanced headphone out of a balanced DAC when they did not have a balanced amp.  A few issues you'd need to consider:
  1. Volume control:  Some DACs are not easily controlled from the computer/source and don't have volume knobs, so control can be tricky.
  2. Output Power: The Denon's don't require much, but even without an amp you'd want a DAC that has enough output to properly drive your headphone.

I'd suggest a more traditional set up.

I've not heard either the DAC1 or the E7/E9 combo, but I'd be surprised if the E7 would compare well to a full sized amp without it's E9 partner.  

I've always thought that the E7/E9 combo would be a nice starter system.  You get a DAC, a decent desk top set up, and a portable rig.  Reports seem quite positive on the SQ.

Plugging directly into Balanced DACs . :

You piqued my curiosity. Seems I've been reading about that a lot lately, users going directly into their balanced DACs (XLR). Never paid much attention to what they were up to or trying to accomplish... until your post. Since I too, lack a balanced amp at this writing and would like to give the connection a go with my balanced Denons, I'm glad you brought it up! Not to get too far off topic, the DAC-1puts out 5.2v balanced, think that's strong enough to bypass the Woo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back