Objective2 Mini-Review and Discussion
Apr 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #181 of 389
Quote:
If it looks simple, it's tasteless and dull.
If it uses a fancy enclosure, it's overpriced and excessively blingy.
If it's a portable, it's too small to be a desktop.
If it's desktop size, it's too big to carry around.
If the cables are in front, they should be in the back.
If they're in the back, they should be in the side.
If they're in the side WHY IS HE USING CABLES ANYWAY, IF YOUR AMP IS SO GOOD IT SHOULD USE TELEPATHY.

tl;dr

You'll never please everybody...

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #182 of 389

Quote:
That said, once I'm plugged in I completely forget about the cabling. 

exactly. It is a bit of a pain getting stuff wired nice, but does it matter once you are listening to music? I guess, maybe if you can't figure out a clutter-free way to do it. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #183 of 389
> There is a photo floating around here somewhere of an enclosure which has the power connection and, from memory, the input jack, at the rear

Here is my O2 Desktop version.

Built by MrSlim

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #185 of 389
Now you see why I'm holding off.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #186 of 389

Quote:
Now you see why I'm holding off.

I think he should have designed an O2 for desktop use, with just the few changes like draygonns.. and then started working on the ODAC

But, he was more worried about the ODAC, it seems. 

It would have even got him more room to play with when it came to the ODAC. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #187 of 389
Quote:
I think he should have designed an O2 for desktop use, with just the few changes like draygonns.. and then started working on the ODAC

But, he was more worried about the ODAC, it seems. 

It would have even got him more room to play with when it came to the ODAC. 

Do you mean "room" literally (more space in which to place things) or figuratively (more leeway in terms of design considerations)?  I'm not sure if I would agree much with either sense, but I want to at least know what I'm responding to.  
tongue_smile.gif

The actual desktop version should have more changes than those exhibited by Dragonn's custom build through MrSlim, though.  Maybe some could be useful.  We'll see.

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #188 of 389

Quote:
Do you mean "room" literally (more space in which to place things) or figuratively (more leeway in terms of design considerations)?  I'm not sure if I would agree much with either sense, but I want to at least know what I'm responding to.  
tongue_smile.gif

The actual desktop version should have more changes than those exhibited by Dragonn's custom build through MrSlim, though.  Maybe some could be useful.  We'll see.

literally,

he designed the ODAC to fit within the O2, where the two batteries reside... I imagine the PCB might have been easier to design, with more room to do it in. 

Yes, it should and will have more changes. I was just saying it would have been cool for him to offer an O2 gone desktop before going on to design the ODAC and the ODA. Of course, JDS Labs, Mr. Slim, Epiphany, and the DIY'ers could just be left to come up with their own devices.. I guess Nwavguy figured they were competent enough :) 

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #189 of 389
Excellent - I like that Mr Slim version better than the  EHP-02, although I assume the sonics are identical. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #191 of 389
Here is my O2 Desktop version.

Built by MrSlim

You have got to be kidding me.
That puts my unit to shame.

I don't even want to look at this girl anymore laying on my table.
They might be all the same inside but sure as heck mine's a country woody bumpkin to your classy temptress.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #192 of 389
I guess the ODA is not too different from the O2, except that it has an inbuilt power supply and changes in input/output ports. Thats why V wanted to design the ODAC first, the ODA is just an incremental upgrade.
Cant wait to try it out. 
The only problem might be the cost and availability of DAC related components. Under low volume these things can be somewhat expensive and difficult to source.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #193 of 389
So to enjoy O2 you have to be a Voldemort fanatic or listen with closed eyes? Yup, got it.

I liked to read his blog even though I wasn't agreeing with him on some aspects and he's right about lot of things, particularly some overpriced products being pushed here and "high-end" in general. But his propaganda went too far and I see that if you want attract attention you need to be loud and obnoxious and people with no experience will follow you. I have no reasons to not believe in Headfonia review. It seems like a lot of people who're defending O2 are those who didn't hear it themselves or upgraded from integrated sound card and had no experience with more expensive stuff.

If O2 would measure like is right now and it would cost $1k to build it nobody would care about those graphs and the interest would be much lower. People got something for cheap, believed in that this's best amp and will defend that without hearing other gear because they can't afford something better. When they will compare it to something else you will find it in sale section of the forum. It doesn't take away from O2 that's probably a good amp.

I didn't find one review saying that someone prefered O2 to other "high-end" amp. And if we're talking about measurements why there's so little interest on Head-Fi with the The Wire? It looks better than O2. The creator isn't a blowhard so no groupies for him?

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #194 of 389

Quote:
I didn't find one review saying that someone prefered O2 to other "high-end" amp.

One user said he couldn't hear a difference between the O2 and his Beta22 and sold the Beta. I believe the pricing for it starts at 1,600$.
No one's saying a new user who tried the O2 wouldn't enjoy something way more expensive. The keyword here is "enjoy". The fact that someone likes a more expensive amp tells you me nothing about how good that amp is.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #195 of 389

Quote:
So to enjoy O2 you have to be a Voldemort fanatic or listen with closed eyes? Yup, got it.

I liked to read his blog even though I wasn't agreeing with him on some aspects and he's right about lot of things, particularly some overpriced products being pushed here and "high-end" in general. But his propaganda went too far and I see that if you want attract attention you need to be loud and obnoxious and people with no experience will follow you. I have no reasons to not believe in Headfonia review. It seems like a lot of people who're defending O2 are those who didn't hear it themselves or upgraded from integrated sound card and had no experience with more expensive stuff.

If O2 would measure like is right now and it would cost $1k to build it nobody would care about those graphs and the interest would be much lower. People got something for cheap, believed in that this's best amp and will defend that without hearing other gear because they can't afford something better. When they will compare it to something else you will find it in sale section of the forum. It doesn't take away from O2 that's probably a good amp.

I didn't find one review saying that someone prefered O2 to other "high-end" amp. And if we're talking about measurements why there's so little interest on Head-Fi with the The Wire? It looks better than O2. The creator isn't a blowhard so no groupies for him?

You make some valid points about the O2, but to address your last comments re The Wire, I think there are a few reasons it's not as popular. 

Number 1 is that it uses SMD components which people are afraid of. V made a decision to make the O2 through hole for that very reason, to make it easier for Noobs to build, and MANY of them did.  How many other DIY amps had a first PCB run of over 800 boards.. Granted that some of us (me included) bought quite a few, but Epiphany and JDS were not included in those numbers (although Epiphany organized the group buy, his numbers were not in the total order for the GB).  It is a very easy first build, with an excellent "How To" created by V. 

Number 2 is that OPC has kept the design of The Wire his own.  He has not put it in Creative Commons, so that others could reproduce it. That means you have to get the boards from him if you want to build one, and the board runs have been much smaller.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's a personal choice one way or the other and that's how he did it.  It is also the way most of the other designers we have come to rely on in the DIY world have done it.  It's their IP, they get to choose how to share it.   Even Nelson Pass lets people use his designs for personal purposes, just not original PCB designs..

V designed an amp that is great "bang for the buck", it is probably not the be-all and end-all, but it will get a lot more people into the slippery slope of this hobby (god forgive them for they know not what they do..  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back