Odac/O2 v modi2/magni2 uber. And odac/O2 separates v combo
Feb 8, 2015 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thecrow

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

Seeking some views with real life experience.

It seems from my reading that there's not much difference at all between the new Schiit entry products (modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber) and the (Jdslabs) odac/O2

But wondering what your views might be so as to look at what way I should lean.

Will be using with my hd800. I want to keep this rich sounding (overall including mids and highs) profile they have.

I have been leaning towards the odac/O2 but what do you think?

A couple of the differences that I think may matter (to me).....

Of the odac/O2 - more Favourable gain options of 1x and 3.5x v 1.5x and 6.5x of the Schiit. 6.5 x seems excessive and 1x sounds handy

Of the Schiit uber stack - Digital inputs of the modi 2 uber when I may want to use those (at the moment not crucial but perhaps a handy bonus)

** Is a modi uber 2 with the O2 something that gets a bit less cohesive on the final sound? Is that asking for disappointment or a handy match up to get the best of both worlds, on paper anyway?

Do you have any experience with the two options?
What has the most transparent sound offerring to keep the hd800s sounding like definite hd800s with their soundstage, airy-ness, rich mids and highs? I don't need sounds rounded off or highs accentuated

Also with respect to the O2/odac, the separates offer versatility but does it become too cumbersome in real life? Or is it no major dramas

I have only heard the O2 using the dac of my fiio x5. Found that quite acceptable with a little smoothness on the upper end. That was fine for me and I'm not seeking more of that. And again with that the soundstage was still good.

In comparing to the cayin c5 amp I find that a bit brighter with a little bit more open soundstage and I enjoy that too. I'd probably just choose that over the O2 just if I had to choose one and it was a desktop /wall powered number

Cheers
Peter

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 2
???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back