*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Aug 7, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2,041 of 2,577
 Hi droopy 1592,

Or you have noisy mains power or EMI and RFI interference contamination in your home wiring? If you aren't using Power Conditioning, such as a  PS Audio P10 Power Plant Power Regenerator / Conditioner. Or at least at a bare minimum of a high quality Mains Power Cord going to your Power Center Splitter Supply or headphone amp, then your whole system has mains generated "garbage" degrading the sound to start with. 
Every thing from the source to the transducer has to be of the highest quality you can afford, within reason, to get the best result. Having high quality Headphone Amps and Headphones, connected with poor quality cables that are going to degrade and choke the flow and rhythm of the music, is nuts. Plus poor quality mains power is just such a waste of what is sitting under your nose......and all it takes to release that is to go to your local hi-fi dealer and borrow a set of good cables and start at the mains cable and move along the chain. For one thing it will cost you nothing and I think the mains cable will give you the biggest bang for your buck. 

But please, I don't want to get into an argument over this after all it is only a hobby. I posted this comment in the wrong place by mistake.

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,043 of 2,577
 Yeah, and that little Audioquest Jitterbug in your usb link is amazing what it does if you are using your computer as a source. 

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,045 of 2,577
  I know that @Jason Stoddard and @Baldr aren't big fans of USB, so I was wondering whether using COAX through a Fire S Audio RedKey USB Coaxial Adapter would be any better, or would the fact the chain still goes through USB give me the same problems found in USB

Reclocking or converting the signal tends to change the sound. If you use USB, the best solution is to have a computer with a good USB output like how many thinkpads have one port with a direct 5v line to the battery.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,046 of 2,577
Say, have you guys noticed any tarnishing on your Schiit at all? My Magni 2 Uber's volume knob is getting a bit tarnished from me fiddling with it all the time.

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,049 of 2,577
^ As far as I can tell, the knob on my Magni 2 is plastic coated in aluminum. I've done some minor mods to it, so I'm dead certain that it's coated in metal; pretty sure it's aluminum. So it shouldn't be tarnished, as aluminum only oxidizes (turns white).

Try cleaning it off with something basic like isopropyl alcohol, or maybe simple green, or something like that. Should clean right up.

Brian.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,051 of 2,577
Ohh, of course. It's not tarnishing, it's oxidizing. Tarnish has a different color shift appearance and applies to other metals.
I'll try cleaning it now and then to keep up its aesthetics. Thanks for the tip^^

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2,053 of 2,577
  So what's the consensus on if there's any differences at all in the sound signatures between the Magni 2 and the Magni 2 Uber?

I doubt that a human being can really tell the difference as our JDD (Just Detectable Distortion) is much higher than we tend to accept. Perhaps this is a task best appreciated by test equipment.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,054 of 2,577
Anyone having an issue with modi2 uber not being able to install drivers?   Everything had been working fine for months. I had to unplug everything to move some things on my desk.  Plugged everything back in booted and drivers for the modi2 uber failed to load.  Have tried on multiple Windows 7 machines.  My fulla and my friends modi2 uber multibit all work fine.  Tried my friends old modi2 uber and that also failed to load drivers on two different machines.  When the usb auto recognizes it tries to get drivers from microsoft and fails.  If you try to run either of the schiit provided driver packages they refuse to install and say they proper drivers are already installed.   It feels like whatever driver repository that Windows uses to load drivers has ganked for that specific driver set. 

If I posted this in the wrong thread.  I apologize and please redirect me to the right location.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,055 of 2,577
Anyone having an issue with modi2 uber not being able to install drivers?   Everything had been working fine for months. I had to unplug everything to move some things on my desk.  Plugged everything back in booted and drivers for the modi2 uber failed to load.  Have tried on multiple Windows 7 machines.  My fulla and my friends modi2 uber multibit all work fine.  Tried my friends old modi2 uber and that also failed to load drivers on two different machines.  When the usb auto recognizes it tries to get drivers from microsoft and fails.  If you try to run either of the schiit provided driver packages they refuse to install and say they proper drivers are already installed.   It feels like whatever driver repository that Windows uses to load drivers has ganked for that specific driver set. 

If I posted this in the wrong thread.  I apologize and please redirect me to the right location.
[/quote\] similar thing happened to me except the drivers wouldn't install from the beginning, I attempted all the solutions I could find but with no luck , I didn't have any other machines to test wether it was my computer or a faulty modi but when the fiio e17k I had been using up till then also started to have the same issue I knew it was my pc that was messing with both machines then things escalated nothing would install not even the Windows updates. 3 weeks of tearing my hair out trying to fix it I finally had enough did a back up of my stuff and did a factory reset,whatever caused the problem was sorted the modi works now along with everything else,also computer works way better than it ever has

Users who are viewing this thread

Back