*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 17, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #842 of 2,577
No, they must be purchased separately.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #844 of 2,577
Have anyone ever trued using he1000 with magni/modi combo?

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #847 of 2,577
Little question : why 1.5V output "only" on the modi uber and optical ? I could understand with the USB powered unit, but it's a bit strange with external PSU versions...

The output voltage is a standard. Meaning, all consumer DACs should have very similar output Voltage. There would be no reason to have more Voltage on the RCA outputs, as amplifiers expect the input Voltage to be in a specific range. Up to 2 VRMS is the standard. So 1.5 is totally fine and all "normal" amps will accept that and play perfectly with it.

The optical version doesn't have any "Voltage" on the output technically. It's a light signal. It's optical. No electrical connection at all.

Brian.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #849 of 2,577
The output voltage is a standard. Meaning, all consumer DACs should have very similar output Voltage. There would be no reason to have more Voltage on the RCA outputs, as amplifiers expect the input Voltage to be in a specific range. Up to 2 VRMS is the standard. So 1.5 is totally fine and all "normal" amps will accept that and play perfectly with it.

The optical version doesn't have any "Voltage" on the output technically. It's a light signal. It's optical. No electrical connection at all.

Brian.

1.5V is quite low. 2V is kind of standard for RCA output, but 2.2V is not so rare, and you may find up to 3V. And yeah, low output could be a small issue with some low gain amp (and I have one at home).
I don't understand what you're saying about optical version. RCA output is the same, there's no optical passthru.

Ali

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #850 of 2,577
1.5V is quite low. 2V is kind of standard for RCA output, but 2.2V is not so rare, and you may find up to 3V.

Ask Schiit if you want a full real answer. Jason has said they shoot for a 2 VRMS output on all of their DACs, but I *do* see 1.5 on their specs page. But the real truth is, the difference between 2.0 and 1.5 V is only about 2.5 dB, which is pretty small. You're probably not going to notice it unless you A/B it. It's no where near the difference you'd expect from just comparing the numbers because Decibels are a logarithmic scale. It's how your ears work. :)

I don't understand what you're saying about optical version. RCA output is the same, there's no optical passthru.

What I'm saying about the optical version is it does not have RCA outputs. It only has an optical output. ...and because it's optical, there is no "output Voltage". It only sends light via the Toslink optical connector.

Brian.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #851 of 2,577
Ask Schiit if you want a full real answer. Jason has said they shoot for a 2 VRMS output on all of their DACs, but I *do* see 1.5 on their specs page. But the real truth is, the difference between 2.0 and 1.5 V is only about 2.5 dB, which is pretty small. You're probably not going to notice it unless you A/B it. It's no where near the difference you'd expect from just comparing the numbers because Decibels are a logarithmic scale. It's how your ears work.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I'm saying about the optical version is it does not have RCA outputs. It only has an optical output. ...and because it's optical, there is no "output Voltage". It only sends light via the Toslink optical connector.

Brian.

2.5 dB is about 30%, so it's not "pretty small" to me. It's a well known trick in ABX comparisons, the louder the better.
And I still don't see any optical output on the modi optical :

Optical input and RCA output.

Ali

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #854 of 2,577
  Would the Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Uber be a good suit with the Sennheiser HD800? Has anyone tried this setup?

It will work just fine. You made the most important first choice, a great pair of headphones. Now get ready for all of the advice to spend a fortune on DACs and Amps.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #855 of 2,577
Would the Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Uber be a good suit with the Sennheiser HD800? Has anyone tried this setup?

I found the Magni rather harsh-sounding with my HD800's. I actually prefer a Fiio E10k, but I have nothing "objective" to support that.

Edit: Also, consider a Centrance Dacport if you can find one for less than $200. I think there's one in the FS forum here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back