Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jun 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,352 of 3,702
On Ebay at Western Bid inc. and just ordered a 1975 gray shields from them too.

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #1,353 of 3,702
The Voskhod will probably be my last tube for the v2. Hoping to move up something bigger.

I've been listening to a pcc88 tungsram and i will say it is a very very good tube. Very musical with great detail.

If you can get one, try one out!

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,354 of 3,702
I have lots of high end NOS tubes. As you might have seen, I started out using a Telfunken CCA. I then decided to investigate the much cheaper russian tubes when I was breaking in my WyWires Red headphone cable on my 702s. It was very dynamic.  The current tube is a 75 silver shield Voskhod and it gets better each time I listen to it. I have the grey shield coming.  Yes, I have a high end Schiit headphone system, but this little Schiit computer audio system sounds real good driving my midfi AKG 702s and Senn 600s. Unless you loose your mind like I did and desire cutting edge gear, this one is really all you need. 
To put a perspective on my opinion, my previous headphone system was a Lyr and Bifrost Uber.

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,355 of 3,702
What do you guys think about the vali 2 with HD650s?  Wondering if i should get the vali 2 or save up a bit more money and get a BH crack.

Also, I know the vali 2 is a hybrid, how much of an impact is that going to have on the effectiveness of tube rolling?

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,356 of 3,702
  What do you guys think about the vali 2 with HD650s?  Wondering if i should get the vali 2 or save up a bit more money and get a BH crack.

Also, I know the vali 2 is a hybrid, how much of an impact is that going to have on the effectiveness of tube rolling?

Personally, for the HD650 I would save up for the BH crack. But I'm sure there are other opinions out there.

And the Vali 2 is great for rolling tubes for cheap (single tube). I had a lot of fun trying out different tubes.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,357 of 3,702
How about the Vali 2 with Grado RS2e? I've got a Little Dot 1+ with Voshkod 6h1p-ev tubes and no complaints but I'm still within my return period with Amazon and am wondering how the Vali 2 stacks up. 

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,358 of 3,702

I think it works very well.

Used to have a Perreaux SHX-1 solid state (~$300 msrp, flavor-of-the-month circa 2004) powering my 650s, and I like them much better with my Vali 2. The veil is just about gone. They're relaxed and very musical. They've even got bass I never knew they had.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,363 of 3,702

I agree with his review of the "dead stock" Vali 2 not being really impressive. I wish the person who lent it though, sent a couple of different tubes for him to try. I very much feel that the stock tube was designed to be transparent and when I rolled in the BEL E88C, it very much does sound different and smoother, yet more detailed.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,365 of 3,702
  And the "King of the Castle" is...

@AviP, thanks for pointing out Zeos' youtube.com "review" of the Vali  2.

As you can see I own both the V2 and the Magni2U.  I didn't do extensive listening and comparing of these 2 amps but I did take some time briefly listening to a few very familiar tunes.  The setup shown in the picture did require me to switch using the SYS, as well as moving the headphone plug from one to amp to the other amp so yeah it took something like 10-15 seconds to do the switch-over.  However my familiarity of the selected tunes, I believe, allowed for a reasonably accurate comparison. 

In general I cannot disagree with Zeos' remarks, in other words both of these amps sound very much alike.  Plain and simple to my ears the V2 sounds slightly warmer with a touch more bass (JJE88CC Gold Pin tube).  Both of these amps drive my HD650's very nicely.  I decided to keep the Magni2U on my iMac rig and returned the V2 to my bedside rig.  Both serve their respective purposes quite satisfyingly thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back