Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,891 of 3,702

+1 on the r2.
Especially with the HD650 at 300 Ohm, that will hide a lot of tube hum.

Well, it's just the stock tube that it came with.

Tried moving it from the surge protector (which I'd gotten a few weeks ago) to another outlet and voila, problem solved. Dead quiet on low or high gain on my Teaks. That was easy. 

Edit: Haha, just kidding. Of course it was dead silent, the connectors on the Teaks had come unplugged. Still humming. Like I said, this is with the stock tube. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,892 of 3,702
The Vali uses a two-prong wall wart that isn't grounded, so I wouldn't think it would be a ground loop. Though I'm open to being corrected on that. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,894 of 3,702
Well, it's just the stock tube that it came with.

Tried moving it from the surge protector (which I'd gotten a few weeks ago) to another outlet and voila, problem solved. Dead quiet on low or high gain on my Teaks. That was easy. 

Edit: Haha, just kidding. Of course it was dead silent, the connectors on the Teaks had come unplugged. Still humming. Like I said, this is with the stock tube. 

Does it stop if you touch the pre-amp outputs?

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,896 of 3,702
  Hmm. Nope, that doesn't stop it. Doesn't matter if I've got anything hooked up to any of the inputs/outputs on the back.

You might try replacing the tube

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,898 of 3,702
Mar 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,899 of 3,702

Depends on what you want to spend. I'm running an  electro harmonix 6922 right now. Good, inexpensive tube 

Cool. I'm definitely not looking to break the bank on anything, but as this is my first foray into...well, any of this...just looking for a good starting point.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #1,901 of 3,702
Just ordered the Vali 2 yesterday to pair up with my HD650 and K550, I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting.

This will be my first amp so looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

This is what I plan to do, is this OK?

Laptop -> Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 -> 3.5 to RCA cable -> Vali 2 -> Headphones

Anyone ever used the dragonfly with the Vali 2 and how does it sound?

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,902 of 3,702
Just ordered the Vali 2 yesterday to pair up with my HD650 and K550, I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting.

This will be my first amp so looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

This is what I plan to do, is this OK?

Laptop -> Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 -> 3.5 to RCA cable -> Vali 2 -> Headphones

Anyone ever used the dragonfly with the Vali 2 and how does it sound?

I have this setup (DragonFly Red/Black).  I previously owned the 1.2 as well.  You will just need to set the Volume of the DragonFly to 100%.  IMO the Vali 2 is a significant upgrade from the DragonFly's internal Amplification and should make a noticeable difference with your HD650s.  The DragonFly is a great DAC and comparable to most of the DACs at the $100 - $200 Price Point.  I recently purchased a Mimby (Modi Multibit) and would recommend it is a future upgrade once you have gotten used to the Vali 2's signature and impact on your system.  There is no urgency to upgrade your DAC however.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,903 of 3,702
I have this setup (DragonFly Red/Black).  I previously owned the 1.2 as well.  You will just need to set the Volume of the DragonFly to 100%.  IMO the Vali 2 is a significant upgrade from the DragonFly's internal Amplification and should make a noticeable difference with your HD650s.  The DragonFly is a great DAC and comparable to most of the DACs at the $100 - $200 Price Point.  I recently purchased a Mimby (Modi Multibit) and would recommend it is a future upgrade once you have gotten used to the Vali 2's signature and impact on your system.  There is no urgency to upgrade your DAC however.

Thanks that's reassuring to hear! I was thinking I will eventually upgrade the dragonfly to possibly the Modi2 uber, would that be a better DAC than that dragonfly?

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,904 of 3,702
Thanks that's reassuring to hear! I was thinking I will eventually upgrade the dragonfly to possibly the Modi2 uber, would that be a better DAC than that dragonfly?

I have owned the Modi 2 previously and have tried the Fulla 2.  They were both comparable to the DragonFly in terms of resolution.  Perhaps a bit warmer with the AKM in the Modi 2/Fulla 2 vs the ESS Sabre in the DragonFly.  I would save for the Mimby as it is a noticeable upgrade over the Modi 2/Fulla 2/DragonFly and less of a lateral move.  Regardless, I think the Vali 2 and any of these DACs will be a great baseline system for your Headphones.  Improvements past this point will be considerably more expensive and incremental.  Again, just an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back