Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Dec 15, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,336 of 1,494
My DIY transport box.. allows earphones to be stored without always recharging up to 100% (not good for batteries). A nice addition to my 5 quid "leather" pouch.

20201215_092205_copy_1008x1327.jpg

20201215_092305_copy_1008x567.jpg

20201215_095406_copy_1008x569.jpg

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,338 of 1,494
One of my ears is too small for the smallest included rubber earbuds.

Can someone save me 90 pages and recommend smaller rubber/other earbud alternatives?

I keep being facinated over the anatomical differences between peopl. For me the largest included tips are too small for my ears

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,340 of 1,494
Yeah, it's funny...I had custom earplugs made and had the same issue...one ear perfect, the other-even custom-never fit the same.

The shells of my JH13 ciem are about the same size as the IER-Z1R pods

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #1,345 of 1,494
Thanks...I bought those and the Comply Truefit Pro. Getting both tomorrow, hopefully one or both fit.
CP360 fits the XM3’s like a charm. Been using them since I got these babies. Sounds great too. Isolates much better than the standard tips too.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #1,346 of 1,494
For lithium ion batteries it's good to keep it topped up.

Not what I have read. To prolong Lithium Ion batteries one should not let the charge fall below 20% too often and ideally charge to 80%. charging from 80% - 100% requires increased current and voltage and additional heat to the cell which degrades battery life over time. Very different behaviour to Ni-MH batteries.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn...s charge to,typically delivers 300–500 cycles.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,347 of 1,494
I've been spending some time with these babies. Just in case anyone need:
  1. Symbio (with foam): Clear and tight + keep it balanced. If you find stock too bassy (or loose), these might help. Note: fit the case with Small size, Medium can barely fit
  2. Spiral Dots: airy with expense of some low-ends, smooth. If too bassy, these probably help.
  3. Sprial Dots +: same with the normal version. Note: the nozzle is bigger so looser fit. They might stay in your ears when you try to take them out.
  4. Stock tips Silicone: neutral with little warmth. Kinda bassy for me but perfectly pleasant to listen. Good for commute.
  5. Stock tips Foam: ehh....okay-ish. I feel like it the extension is a bit off. They don't stay on my ears so I didn't bother testing further
  6. Final: Kinda similar to stock tips silicone. Feels better though. They also extend a bit further than stock.
  7. Comply: I don't like it. Better fit overall though. Comes with pros and cons of foam.
  8. Sedna Light: AIR......HIGH-RES....... They do not fit in the case regardless of size. Unless you wanna push the cap down.
For EQ:

@ Symbio (with foam): I LOVE LOVE Treble profile and +2 ClearBass. This is my go-to profile. You can tweak a little to make it "sounds closer to IER-Z1R" (airy, punchy, tight).
***** ClearBass = +2 | 400 = 0 or -1 | 1k = +3 | 2.5k = +5 | 6.3k = +5 | 15.6k = +9 ***** [The settings are based off some users here]
Note: I don't recommend using this EQ for wider bore like Spiral or Sedna. It sounds harsh (cymbals crashes are harsh). You can turn down the EQ as well. Nozzle size like Symbio and smaller would be perfect. Adjust ClearBass to your likings.

@ Stock tips: honestly the OFF option sounds really balance already.

@ Spiral: good with OFF (better than stock IMO)

I hope someone will find this helpful :)
I'd love to hear more recommendations on set-up as well.
Ocelitgol

Thank you for your information, as it allowed me to narrow down what I wanted to try with these IEM's
When purchasing any IEM I look for a sound signature that I don't have to EQ or EQ much, as I know I can tune some aspects with cables or tips (Improve brightness or smooth out bass) but I can't make drastic sound changes. I know there have been religious wars launched here on Head-Fi about cables and accessories when they approach the cost of the actual IEM, but I am in the camp of preserving your investment if its close to the sound signature you want by "tuning" rather than having to step up to the next tier (in price) of IEM's to get the incremental improvement you seek, and despite stepping up you will still be purchasing accessories. This is IMO and YMMV.

I originally bought the WF-1000XM3 for use with conference calls on the move, and secondary music enjoyment. I wasn't expecting these to be good sounding, just decent. Was very wrong. They sound great, and while not the equal to CIEM's I own, they were close. (again IMO)
I'm finding these to be really great for music on the go with my phone or iPad, or where I just don't want to break out my DAP and wired CIEM's.
Conference calls have become secondary.

But like many here wanted tips that were more comfortable and secure in ear, yet NOT give up any of the sound on these IEMS
Using information from other posters in this forum, and from Ocelitgol above, I narrowed down my test tips to Comply True Grip Foam for TWS, Dekoni Bullets for TWS, SpinFit CP360, Sedna Ear fit light -short, and Sedna Ear Fit Xelastec

Here are my findings / Opinions on tips I chose for the WF-1000XM3 and hope it will help someone else
Music used was a mix of High Bit Rate MP3's,FLAC files and HiRes/Master quality files from both Amazon Music and Tidal.
Mix of Jazz (Standard to Smooth Jazz) Classic Rock, and 80's Rock and R&B
  • Comply True Grip Pro Foam for TWS
    These include a debris filter that might be affecting the highs, as they sound veiled and not crisp/sharp
    The bass also sounds muddy
    Comfortable and IEM's feel secure, but they change the sound signature way too much
  • Dekoni Bullets for TWS
    Slide onto the Sony's very easily, and have a hard core to grip the sound tube.
    Comfortable, and though foam exterior clean with just a cloth (noticed several on this forum had this as a criteria)
    Highs are clear and articulate. Extend a little more than the Sony stock silicon tips. With ANC provide a good seal and allowed me to see differences as the ambient slider was move in the app.
    Midrange and vocals clear, but possible pulled back a little
    Bass/sub bass is clear and extends lower than the stock silicon tips.
    Despite being foam tips, to me did NOT alter the sound signature negatively and actually helped get to a signature I was looking for
  • Spin Fit CP360
    Maybe because it has a slightly smaller bore at the tip than the Dekoni's or the Sedna Ear light, but similar to the Comply's I got the sense that the highs were not as clear, and while no where near the change found in the Comply's, though the highs were definitely changed for the worse
    Mids I felt became a little muddy. Not as pulled back as the Dekoni's but also not as clear
    Bass was there but the sub bass notes not there. About the same clarity as the Stock Sony's but no where near what I found with the Dekoni's
  • Sedna Ear Fit Xelastic
    These are definitely not going to be liked by some, not sonically but because the tactile feel of these may not be to everyone's liking. They have a stickiness that will attract all the debris they come in contact with (trying to be nice here and not describe what they look like after repeated wearings) I did find they clean up with plain water on a clean cloth, and for really stubborn "stains" taking them off and placing them under running water, they clean up easily and the original sticky/tacky feeling returns.
    You really need to keep these in for a few minutes as the warmth of the ear canal, will let these "mold" to the intricacies of your ear canal, and the seal is great. But because of the great seal I can see some not liking the pressure that will result.
    Sonically these were good. they have in between sizes (SS, MS and ML) that allow a person to really get the right fit. I've seen others here state they run a little large so go down one size. Not going to confirm or deny this but rather just say go smaller so you can get a deeper fit, and get the excellent seal once they warm and mold themselves.
    High's extended a little more than the stock Sony silicon tips.
    Mids were articulate, but perhaps a tad slow (only way I can describe them)
    The bass is good just because of the great seal you get, but call me crazy but I think once they warm up and "mold" that it may affect the shape of the bore on the bell side towards you ear, and might be causing some of the sound changes I hear in the mids and the bass.
    If I didn't have the Dekoni's or the Ear Fit lights to compare to, this would have been it.
  • Sedna Ear Fit light - Short
    These silicon tips are a little more comfortable than the standard "black" Sedna Ear Fit tips because they are "thinner"
    The central bore uses a firmer compound, so the bore does not distort like I think is happening with the Xelastic versions above.
    They do NOT attract the "debris" the Xelastics do.
    They offer a great seal. Almost on par with the Xelastics, but not quite. (if you need the best seal get the Xelastics)
    One odd thing is even with the short model, I felt they move the IEM's a little farther out than other choices here. Did NOT affect the stability though
    Tips made the IEM's feel more secure, and with the great seal, improved passive and ANC noise canceling.
    Bonus was since they left the inner microphone exposed even with the better call performance in the 3.0 FW, one call I was on some remarked they thought I was on my wired at my office desk headset and not the IEM's
    These also come in the in between size mentioned with the Xelastics above.
    Highs better than what I heard on the Dekoni's or the Xelastics
    The mids were the best of the bunch, clear, articulate, fast. A vocal track I use is Mark Knopfler singing on Chris Botti's "What a Wonderful World". The vocals are haunting and seem to come from behind my head on my wired CIEM's With these tips it came closest of all the ones I tried.
    The Bass and sub bass extended well with the Clear Bass set to "0"/Neurtral". For a bass head you can crank it up and still get good clean (at least for these IEM's) bass.
So my choice to date is the Sedna EarFit Lights, with the Xelastic and the Dekoni Bullets being my second choice.
While I'm sure there is a place for the others with some users (and if your looking to change the sound in way the others did for me) the Spin Fits and the Comply's are still a good working choice, just not for me
I was lucky in that the stock Sony Silicon tips did fit me and worked, but I just thought I could get more sound and more stability with another tip and I did.

Also all of the tips above do fit into the charging case, and allow the IEMs' to properly charge AND the case lid to close.

Again all of the above is IMO, and as always Your Mileage May Vary
Hopefully this will help some as Ocitgol's post did for me!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,349 of 1,494
CP360 fits the XM3’s like a charm. Been using them since I got these babies. Sounds great too. Isolates much better than the standard tips too.
Did you have to size up or down? I need biggest tips on Sony stock and we'll still didn't get a secure fit. I ordered the large xlarge combo spin fits they arrive tomorrow wondering if I should have gone medium and large. For some reason my right ear canal needs a bigger size than left. Right now using the tips from the liberty 2 pro as I get best deals and more secure fit and am usi g the largest ( is 2 sizes up from the medium) and 1 down from largest as the 2 tips.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,350 of 1,494
Did you have to size up or down? I need biggest tips on Sony stock and we'll still didn't get a secure fit. I ordered the large xlarge combo spin fits they arrive tomorrow wondering if I should have gone medium and large. For some reason my right ear canal needs a bigger size than left. Right now using the tips from the liberty 2 pro as I get best deals and more secure fit and am usi g the largest ( is 2 sizes up from the medium) and 1 down from largest as the 2 tips.
I had to size down for the XM3. I usually use L size tips for my other IEMs and with the 360, the M size fits me perfectly on the XM3. However results may vary as everyone has a unique shaped ear canal. It best to try it first if its possible. Otherwise get a pack with both M and L to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back