Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok.
Sep 18, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #346 of 626
Woops, meant to post the link not the whole review, sorry.
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #347 of 626
Sep 18, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #348 of 626
Actually enjoyed the review thanks for taking the time to post it!

Your welcome, will post more impressions as I get some more hours on it but just wanted to get something up because I know people are eager to hear about it as I've been getting PMs about it asking how it is

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #349 of 626
Humming when it is turned off? I think it's defective or some design problem.

Tell Jason about your amp humming and he will probably look it up (again, this is the purpose of beta testing indeed).

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #350 of 626
Couldn't have said it better. Thank you goldendarko!

Definitely endgame worthy as a headphone amp for me too, even with the HE-6!

I, too, signed up for the beta figuring I could return it free of charge. While I'm gonna wait for the Master-9 to give a final judgment, this thing isn't going anywhere until I do. That means I'm willing to give up the full refund offer just because it's THAT good and I don't think the M-9 could possibly be that far ahead.

I will reserve my thoughts in speaker amp mode till I get a proper setup, however.

Very good stuff. I'm not so easy to impress anymore, so I actually mean it...

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #351 of 626

Tell Jason about your amp humming and he will probably look it up (again, this is the purpose of beta testing indeed).
I already put the manual away but I'm pretty sure it said something about the amp humming in there so I think they are aware it does it

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #352 of 626
I already put the manual away but I'm pretty sure it said something about the amp humming in there so I think they are aware it does it

I don't think humming is when turned off is discussed in the manual.  It is also very weird...only components before the off switch could do this...this is not normal.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #353 of 626

You can download the manual from Schiit website.

No, humming should not occur no matter what when the amp is turned off. You should contact Jason asap.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #354 of 626
  You can download the manual from Schiit website.

No, humming should not occur no matter what when the amp is turned off. You should contact Jason asap.

Yep, Ragnarok actually has a dual-pole switch and two fuses, so it's completely disconnected from both hot and neutral AC when it's turned off. I don't know how it could possibly physically hum, unless there is vibration from something else being transmitted through the AC cord.

If it really is humming with the AC switch off, it's a true Twilight Zone mystery...and I'd like to take a look at it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #355 of 626
Hey it's the end of the world dude, gotta expect some twilight zone stuff.

Jason, how many Ragnaroks have to be turned on simultaneously to create a black hole that swallows the earth... :confused: :D

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #357 of 626
3333 all at the exact same time.
biggrin.gif

Don't forget that the time must be at exactly the end of a mayan long cycle, so luckily that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #358 of 626
Rag circuit board shots are up on the Schiit website.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #359 of 626
Goldendarko,

Great Review. Thanks for your efforts.

I missed out on the Beta program so I am just waiting on the production orders to open up.

You mentioned you could really hear the deficiencies in Spotify lossless tracks. My understanding is that Spotify does not yet offer true CD-quality .wav lossless playback (1411 kbps) but is currently limited to 320 kbps with Spotify premium.

Considering the detail resolution of the Ragnarok you described, its no wonder 320kbps was underwhelming!

BTW, nice KEF LS50s. I've got the powered X300A on my office desktop. Nearfield, KEF is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back