Ok I have to ask and don't crucify me too badly...ebay amps
Jun 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
Ok so Ive been looking to amps for my headphones on and off since Ive had them. I have a pair of Beyer DT770s, AD-700s. Also recently Ive acquired a set of ibeats, don't judge they came free with my phone, and a set of the Monoprice 8020s. Now from what Ive read the AD700s are probably find on their own. I don't know about the IEMs maybe they could benefit a little from an amp, but I don't know really. I do really like the look and idea of tubes and I'm pretty sure tubes would go nice with the Beyers. 

Ive always considered DIY, problem is time and equipment. The time is ok I suppose, but the equipment well I'm starting from scratch and to buy all that stuff for one or 2 amps is a little silly, someday maybe but its still down the road. I look around ebay though and I see a lot of amps on there. You know the ones I'm talking about the Chinese ones that look like assembled DIY kits. Some of them you can get shipped right to you door for just a little more them the cost of the parts it would take to build it. If you read the discriptions they claim they use quality parts too...Of course they do, who knows really though. Ive seen Indeed, Muse, Brave and a a few other randoms making various things. The questions is are they any good though?

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Ok so Ive been looking to amps for my headphones on and off since Ive had them. I have a pair of Beyer DT770s, AD-700s. Also recently Ive acquired a set of ibeats, don't judge they came free with my phone, and a set of the Monoprice 8020s. Now from what Ive read the AD700s are probably find on their own. I don't know about the IEMs maybe they could benefit a little from an amp, but I don't know really. I do really like the look and idea of tubes and I'm pretty sure tubes would go nice with the Beyers. 

Ive always considered DIY, problem is time and equipment. The time is ok I suppose, but the equipment well I'm starting from scratch and to buy all that stuff for one or 2 amps is a little silly, someday maybe but its still down the road. I look around ebay though and I see a lot of amps on there. You know the ones I'm talking about the Chinese ones that look like assembled DIY kits. Some of them you can get shipped right to you door for just a little more them the cost of the parts it would take to build it. If you read the discriptions they claim they use quality parts too...Of course they do, who knows really though. Ive seen Indeed, Muse, Brave and a a few other randoms making various things. The questions is are they any good though?

For the price you pay they are very decent tube amps, there are some threads on the tube amplifiers over on the Rockgrotto website.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Give it a whirl and see what happens.  DIY projects/kits can be amazing. I'm busy too with limited time but I think most people can do at least one DIY project a year. I did one last winter with a DIY guitar amp and it was great. Probably will do another one next year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back