Old faithful just died :sad:
Sep 19, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
And by old faithful I mean our 8 year old sony rear projection 42'' tv that has been moved across states 5 times. We were watching Blood Diamond and right at the end we heard a sound like electronics dying a kind of tsewww sound, the picture went out, and the three bulb colors showed up on the screen, red blue and green, and faded out. Now it will not turn on, a red led on the front just keeps blinking, normally this red light blinks three times and then the tv comes on, but now it perpetually blinks. We have turned it off and disconnected the power cable, and you can smell something burning in the air, a very unique smell.

However, we had been looking to upgrade the tv, and now seems to be the time, I am open for any and all suggestions at the moment until we decide a budget/plasma/lcd/dlp etc, I will update when I do find out our new budget and other info. What should we be looking for, and should we try to resurrect Frankenstein in the corner?

Edit: Damn forgot about gear-fi, sorry mods, I am still adjusting.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 14
Sorry to hear that your TV went to the old CRT land in the sky. We had a 6 year old Mitsubishi 55" CRT HDTV (2nd gen) that kicked the bucket not too long ago, and replaced it with a 60" Sony XBR2 1080p LCOS Rear-Projection TV .

It's an amazing TV, especially for the price, with excellent color detail and contrast. I prefer LCOS/LCD images to those produced by Plasma TV's, as they seem more lifelike with better color accuracy to boot. Plus, no burn-in =)

If you need something smaller (and can spring for it), I highly recommend the 40-46" Sony Bravia XBR4 (LCD) series. A friend has the 46" and it produces one of the best HDTV images I've ever seen, better than our TV without a doubt (although ours is close).

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 14
I have a 18 year old 15" Sony CRT TV that just died. The 1990s sonys were really impeccably built.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 14
Good lord, I thought it was just us...I am currently watching a 1993 Sony 13" color. I would have expected it to die so long ago, but it just keeps going, and dammit, it still looks great! The real kicker to this story is that we bought the demo unit which likely had untold hours on it already.

Interesting thread!

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 14
1. Yes, the old Sony Trinitrons rocked in both picture quality & longevity. Never owned one of their rear-projection DLP's though.

2. Time to upgrade!

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Yes, the old Sony Trinitrons rocked in both picture quality & longevity. Never owned one of their rear-projection DLP's though.

2. Time to upgrade!

The really old Trinitrons did.....my grandmother still has a small Trinitron from the 60s! My dad's 36" *expensive at the time* Sony Wega died with just 2 years use: he paid $400 to get it repaired only to have it die yet again in a couple months. Needless to say he's not a Sony fan anymore.....he seems to buy Samsung TVs now. I've got a Panasonic plasma that's still going strong (but then it's not very old yet). For me, if I were to get a current high end TV, I'd probably check out those Pioneers as well.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 14
I've still got a 14" RCA Colour TV assembled in the same month I was born, april 1985. The volume knob snapped, but the picture is still perfect after untold hours and 22 years!

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 14
I replaced a TV with knobs only a year ago. It was a Sears Brand TV.

It's nice to have a remote now. I don't spill my beer getting up all the time anymore.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Alright we bought it and will be setting up soon. A bit OT, but circuit city had a sony lcd playing Pirates of the Caribbean 2 on blu-ray, oh my god, that picture is ridiculous!

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 14
You just scared me, I thought that you were saying the the geyser just sprayed for it's last time...

Anyway, sorry about your tv.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 14
We had a 36" CRT ProScan TV (I believe they were made by RCA) built in 1990 until about 2004... that thing had damn impeccable picture, awesome (and BUILT-IN!) speakers, and a cool cabinet... they just don't make 'em like that anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back