Old Schiit Bifrost Version 1 - 2021 modi / modius be a upgrade?
Apr 15, 2021 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mesamitch

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! i am sorry to bother with this.
I have a old Bifrost, I bought it at the end of 2015, so it's around 5-6 years old?

Would the new Modi or Modius be a upgrade comparing to my old bifrost?

I don't know anything when it comes to Dac Chips
and I am not going to use any of my headphones in balanced out

Thank you guys!
I appreciate any comments back

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 10
It all depends on what your preferences/sensitivities are to treble. I have the old Bifrost as well, which uses the AKM AK4399 chip. The new Modi uses the AK AK4490, which is in their "Velvet Sound" line. I don't care much for the Velvet Sound in my Modius, which has the AK4493.

The main differences are these:

Bifrost--a bit leaner overall, a tad more congested, but has smoother treble. A slight veil to the sound. Imagine viewing a mountain vista through a clean glass window.

Modi and Modius--warmer overall in the lows and mids, a bit more air, more resolving, but treble has some weird glare and smearing to it. It's not very natural to my ears. Clean sound. Imagine viewing the same mountain vista through a window without glass, but then someone sprayed some Lysol that you can smell in the distance.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 10
It all depends on what your preferences/sensitivities are to treble. I have the old Bifrost as well, which uses the AKM AK4399 chip. The new Modi uses the AK AK4490, which is in their "Velvet Sound" line. I don't care much for the Velvet Sound in my Modius, which has the AK4493.

The main differences are these:

Bifrost--a bit leaner overall, a tad more congested, but has smoother treble. A slight veil to the sound. Imagine viewing a mountain vista through a clean glass window.

Modi and Modius--warmer overall in the lows and mids, a bit more air, more resolving, but treble has some weird glare and smearing to it. It's not very natural to my ears. Clean sound. Imagine viewing the same mountain vista through a window without glass, but then someone sprayed some Lysol that you can smell in the distance.
hahahahha loved that comment thanks for the laugh bro!

but thanks i thought my bifrost is just a paper weight now sense its so old, I figured new tech, better stuff is out now.

i don't buy audio stuff very often i bought some hd650's about 8-9 years ago then about 2 years later a hd700 then for some strange reason my friend bought some DT 990s
and he was telling me they were awesome so i was going to buy some 990s to try out and ended up buying the dt1990 pro and i'm absolutely in love with them and i figured all my old dac and amp is crap now which is a bifrost and a vahalla 2

but i guess its still decent stuff

think i might buy a heresy just to try out love that color scheme of it matches my whole black and red desk

Thanks for saving me some cash bro
appreciate the comment back

i hope you have a wonderful day
and stay safe

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 10
DACs haven't changed all that much over the years. Sure, there's newer tech, but the architectures are pretty much the same. New doesn't mean better.

One thing that has changed considerably is USB. Newer is definitely better, though. That's one consideration.

You stay safe, too.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I agree with the above ^ you could also go for the Bifrost 2 😏 see if Unison USB makes a difference for you

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 10
i have a issue with usb for some reason with Dacs

i have been playing guitar for 25??? years??? maybe longer i don't even know lol

and i always have a audio interface with every computer i have and every computer i have for some reason hates when another dac is plugged in with usb messes with my guitar recording stuff all the time

so i always run through mother board spdif i gave up on usb about??? 5-8 years ago? and the only audio i will let stay in usb is a audio interface

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 10
I have a gen 1 bifrost and recently upgraded it with the multibit module. The process was simple and easy. The difference was amazing to my ears. I don’t know how this would compare to the modi modius tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back