Olympus DSLR Appreciation Thread
Oct 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #151 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Each person has their balance point. ^_^
But, I'm still not convinced an Olympus setup is much cheaper than either a nikon or canon........

That's ok.

If you really like the Canon or Nikon setups, I'm not suggesting that you get something else to save a few bucks. I'm saying that some people, like myself, are content with other systems and are happy not to have to spend as much.

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #152 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really like the Canon or Nikon setups, I'm not suggesting that you get something else to save a few bucks. I'm saying that some people, like myself, are content with other systems and are happy not to have to spend as much.

Each person has their balance point. ^_^

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #153 of 159
I've spent approximately $1500 on my current set up. I have 2 kit lenses that came with the camera a long 70-300 zoom, 50mm macro, a flash (which actually could be upgraded as it is very slow to cycle) and some other accessories and I feel like I'm done. Although, I would like that pancake lens jpelg has on his 420. I honestly don't know, but can a Canon or Nikon guy that's strictly amateur, have a rig they feel they have all the glass they need for under $2000?

By the way, the quality of all the lenses is excellent, IMHO. The best lens I have is the 50MM. It's a step up from the other three, but the two kit lenses are not bad in comparison. The lowest quality, or at least the most difficult to use, is the long zoom. I've not always been thrilled with the sharpness, even when not zoomed out, but I've been able to grab some incredible images that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

I am more than satisfied with the image quality of my shots when I get it right. As we said early on in this thread, it's the photographer that makes the biggest difference.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #154 of 159
Well, I'll add that I recently took an EP1 for a spin at the local photo shop, and was quite impressed. The AF is nowhere near as slow as a lot of online talk would have you believe, and certainly faster than the P&S cams I've used. The body just exudes quality and feels very nice in hand. I think all the blather about the menus is highly overrated as well, they are certainly more logical than Fuji menus!

It did feel rather odd holding a camera at arm's length, yet using my left hand on the lens to zoom. The IS works quite well though.

At least from a technical standpoint, the GF1 is a more interesting camera to me, but I certainly can't fault Oly for a great effort on the EP1, especially as far as the look/feel of quality goes.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #155 of 159
I just got a new ultra-wide angle lens for the Olympus.  It's 9-18mm, so with Olympus's 2x crop factor it's a 18-36mm full frame equivalent and gives 100 degree field of vision at the widest setting.  The lens cost less than $500 shipped.  By comparison the equivalent Nikon lens is almost twice as much.

Image quality is great.  Colors are vibrant and focus is sharp. There is some barrell distortion at the wide end but that's to be expected.

I'm still very pleased with my Olympus camera.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #156 of 159

Just took this with the old E-300, waiting for my E-PL1 to come into the mail... should be some having some more fun soon.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #157 of 159
I am a happy 4/3 shooter.  I have an E-510 with 14-54 and 50-200SWD lenses along with the 2 kit lenses.  I am probably going to "upgrade" to m4/3 this year but haven't made up my mind as to which model or even company I will go with.  The GH-2 looks compelling but I am waiting to see the real life examples of the E-PL2 and what the expected E-P3 will be.

Here is a picture I took of my son a week or so ago with my 50-200 lens which is by far my favorite lens.

Tom

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #158 of 159
Bringing this thread back up...Olympus shooter for life here. Started off with their automated 35mm cameras, like IS-100S, then moved to the professional level 35mm OM series (-1N, -2N, and -4), and then to the digital with E-10 and the E-1 (first DSLR system camera...) Olympus shooters are not you average shooters, we can be quirky... like with my E-1 I only use the 35mm OM glass and shoot completely manually, because I want to. Worst thing I ever did was to sell the Zuiko 250mm F2 lens...If there is one thing I would redo if I could it would be to have kept that legendary lens - absolutely perfect lens for motorsports photography. The thing about Olympus is they are the innovators when it comes to SLR... they are the reason for the SLR existing like it does in the first place, they came up with the tech. Canon and Nikon and others have used the innovation and expanded upon it.

Anyways, I finally am upgrading from the E-1...just ordered an E-3, with HLD-4 grip, and FL-50R flash for less than $500...so finally will be able to get the full benefit out of the FP-1 grip base.

Some of my favorite shots:

_7161191.jpg

Fireworks-resize.jpg

(The following image was taken with the 250mm F2...)
PA236534.jpg

X5.jpg

GT1-Aston009C.jpg

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #159 of 159
Got the E-3 and gear in yesterday and familiarized myself with it. Very easy to trasition from E-1 to E-3... Really liking the bigger viewfinder and image stabilization on the E-3...and the FL-50R in the FP-1 flash power bracket grip cycles really fast...nice. Turns out this E-3 is really a well used example though....wasn't looking for one approacing nearly 90k shutter activations...was hoping for more in the 60k or less range. Still should last me for a while and should get my monies worth out of it.

However, I did also decide to finally get a new camera too, and after looking into the various models I ordered an OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Titanium limited edition - because once I saw the 'titanium' color I couldn't have any other version. Will satisfy my OM-3Ti want.... definetly going to sell off the T50RP Mark III now...LOL Hopefully the E-M5 Mark II will last me for at least a few decades... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back