On ear or over ear headphone with good isolation in the sub $200 range?
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Steely Dan

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, this actually isn't for me, but for my girlfriend.  She currently has Sennheiser HD239s, which is happy with sound wise, but now she's started commuting by train, at least a couple of hours a day, and obviously they let a lot of noise in and out, and are far from ideal for that.  She also has Klipsch S4s, but prefers the Senns, and seems to be leaning toward something over ear.

My own portable setup is the one in my avatar, DT 1350 and Fiio E11 with a LOD from my iPod.  She has no amp so it would be a straight out of iPod or Android phone setup.  She listens to everything from hard rock, doom and death metal, to pop and club music, as well as lots of podcasts.

Basically, what portables would you recommend at a level below the HD 25/Amperior, DT 1350, M-80 for someone who enjoys the sound of the HD 239?  Or is it worth just going up to one of those?  I've been very happy with the isolation provided by the my setup.
I've seen the AKG K451 in J&R, and they seem to fit the bill, but oddly no one seems to actually own them, and I hardly ever see them discussed.  Is there something I'm missing here?  
I've previously owned AKG K26ps, and while the sound was nothing special, they were extremely durable, surviving around 6 years of being thrown into a bag full of heavy books or camera equipment until I eventually lost them at a friend's house.  That kind of durability combined with significantly better sound would seem ideal, assuming they also isolate well.  What else is worth considering in that range?  AT M-50s?  Something from Sony?  I'm pretty open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 4
I've actually suggested those as well, but based on the reviews and feedback I've seen, it doesn't seem like they're especially good at blocking out external noise.  Is that not accurate?

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 4
When it comes to exposing your girl to the headphone world...

Fashion will work. V-MODA trumps everyone else in this department.

Trust me she will love them, her friends will love them, and you sir will be a hero.

Go for it, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back