One $400 or Two $200 headphones?
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #76 of 88
Quote:
Dunno about the HE400. That one definitely sounds better with more distance between your ear and the drivers...

I've been following the HE400 thread for a while and I heard about how they sound better with that extra distance between your ears. Has anybody put thicker pads on them yet? Or a different kind (Beyer velours come to mind 
biggrin.gif
)?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #77 of 88
Quote:

As far as the HE 400 grill mod, I'm pretty sure they just pop the original grill off and replace it with one they made.  Meaning they don't modify the original grill at all.  If they were to sell them they could just pop the original back on and it would be good as new (I think.)

Yep! There is zero permanent modification / damage done. The grill is only held in-place by a plastic ring which has little tabs that secure into slots on the cup.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #78 of 88
Quote:
Yep! There is zero permanent modification / damage done. The grill is only held in-place by a plastic ring which has little tabs that secure into slots on the cup.

Hadn't looked at the thread in a few days so I wasn't 100% positive, so thanks for clearing that up!

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #79 of 88
Quote:
Dunno about the HE400. That one definitely sounds better with more distance between your ear and the drivers...

Ah, could be. The driver size is larger afterall than what I am used to.

Quote:

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up.
I only had a short look into that thread and thought I read about glue somewhere :D

@jerg: If time permits and there's a mini meet planned, hope to have a listen to your HE-400/500!

Dec 21, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #80 of 88
Quote:
Ya I think I'm starting to lean this way.  The tough part is that certain cheaper headphones can do a lot of stuff better than the more expensive ones.  If I made a list of 10 things that I wanted/needed out of a headphone, and one headphone did all of them well, that would seem like an easy choice.  But what if two headphones could do 5 out of the 10 even better, but weren't as good at the other 5? Then potentially you could have two headphones that meet your 10 requirements better than the one.

Sorry if my question didn't make any sense haha.

I get what you're saying perfectly. That's part of the dilemma I've had with certain headphones; better at some things, worse at others.

For instance, the SR-202; it had much of the characteristic Lambda presentation, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was technically superior in some aspects to the vintage sets like transient response and frequency range extension, but the original SR-Lambda just had a superior midrange to my ears that an EQ bump couldn't replicate on the SR-202. There was also the matter of comfort; that Nova/numerical series headband/arc clamps significantly more, enough to make long-term use sessions (say, during heavy gaming) uncomfortable, even with nice, soft pads like on the SR-303 and higher-end models. As it turns out, newer, more expensive models weren't always better, and for as much praise as the SR-Omega, SR-007 and SR-009 get, I still have my doubts that I'd take them over the SR-Lambda if I got the chance to audition them with my choice of material.

There's also the Panasonic HTF600, a headphone I thought was an okay cheap set at best until I got a Philips CitiScape Uptown later on at around twice the price. The Uptown actually didn't sound as good to me as the HTF600 did overall, mostly because of the crippled soundstage with no depth that makes them unsuitable as a gaming set, though the Uptown performs very admirably for music listening. However, it's now taken the role of my portable full-size headphone because one of the HTF600's drivers crapped out. Sound quality doesn't mean much without reliability, and you'll find that if you have to replace cheaper headphones too many times, you could have afforded something of better quality.

You'll find that choosing headphones isn't easy, especially when you're still trying to figure out what your sound presentation tastes are and considering all the factors that don't have to do with the sound, like comfort and reliability. But along the way, you might find some startling revelations, like how the headphones you've had all along may actually be your favorite, and you just didn't realize it until you listened to all the other popular headphones and didn't like them as much for any number of reasons.

I just think you're more likely to find your personal 10/10 headphone at the higher price ranges. At the very least, $400 is where you can consider second-hand electrostatics and orthodynamics, and I would definitely advise auditioning one of each at least once along your headphone journey. Don't like it? Return or sell it, then put the funds toward another headphone.

Oh, and definitely keep in mind what other people have said about the rest of your audio chain. I've read all those posts about $200-250 headphones requiring equally expensive amps to get the most out of them, or for them to function at all if you're talking electrostatics.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #81 of 88
Quote:

I get what you're saying perfectly. That's part of the dilemma I've had with certain headphones; better at some things, worse at others.

Oh, and definitely keep in mind what other people have said about the rest of your audio chain. I've read all those posts about $200-250 headphones requiring equally expensive amps to get the most out of them, or for them to function at all if you're talking electrostatics.

Thanks for the advice.  I don't think I'm going to dive into the electostats just yet, but maybe down the road some time.  That sucks about your HTF600s, shows that some considerations like reliability need to be near the top of the list.  What good is a headphone that craps out in 6 months?  

And choosing a headphone is made especially difficult when you have distinct tastes. For example, sound-wise, my main concern is having a good soundstage and solid sub bass with decent impact. But...I want an open-backed headphone. As far as I know, there's only one headphone that fits the bill with a $400 budget in mind: the HE-400.  Which is infuriating to me since there's a million headphones out there.  That's where the two headphones poll came from. I was genuinely interested to hear what the community thought about just getting two headphones instead.  I mean I could get one for sub-bass, another for the open-back and good soundstage.  Doesn't seem that bad I guess, but it's still annoying that I'm stuck with a very small number of headphones that meet my requirements.  Plus the cheapest (I think) is the HE 400.  Doesn't feel like much choice to me. Who knows, maybe the new Fidelio X1 will be an option, but it's not like I could buy them right now anyways.

As far as amps go, I've got an E17 (the versatility is amazing) and eventually I think I'll add the O2+ODAC or the magni-modi combo down the road for something more substantial.  I'm trying to stay away from headphones that are really amp dependent like the HD650s (although there is the bottlehead crack I could build myself).  

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #82 of 88
Quote:
Ah, could be. The driver size is larger afterall than what I am used to.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up.
I only had a short look into that thread and thought I read about glue somewhere :D

@jerg: If time permits and there's a mini meet planned, hope to have a listen to your HE-400/500!

Maybe sometime early next year? I'm not sure but a few people who also attended the last Montreal meet may have been discussing of plans in co-organizing another one. I was really busy with university stuff all last few months so couldn't really pay much attention to that.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #83 of 88
Many great opinions in here for ya Wild. Mull it all over, read some more and then pull the trigger and don't look back and enjoy!

On a side note, just want to give you props Wild, you take the time and answer each post in your thread. That's A+++ forum etiquette my friend.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad from Ultrasone Planet using Tapatalk HD

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #84 of 88
I haven't quite read this whole thread yet, but, given the fact that you already have some portables, I'd get one $400 pair of cans.  I've never bought the multiple headphones for multiple genres approach since it seems to me like a good pair should do everything competently (and many do!).  Now, if you just want multiple sound signatures on hand for the sake of it, that's fine, but I'd advocate getting the best sound you can first then going for different flavors out of curiosity/for fun afterward if you've still got that itch.

In my collection I'd say about 6 headphones get regular use, if that food for thought helps at all. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #85 of 88
Quote:
Many great opinions in here for ya Wild. Mull it all over, read some more and then pull the trigger and don't look back and enjoy!
On a side note, just want to give you props Wild, you take the time and answer each post in your thread. That's A+++ forum etiquette my friend.
Cheers!
Sent from my iPad from Ultrasone Planet using Tapatalk HD

There really are a lot of great opinions in here.  And even if people didn't put their opinion in here, the poll kinda speaks for itself haha.  I'm going to be pulling the trigger here pretty soon hopefully.  Might wait a bit for a few more reviews to come in...namely the X1 and the magni/modi (thinking about an upgrade for my E17)

About answering everybody's posts...if somebody is nice enough to respond to my thread for whatever reason, then I'm going to try my best to let them know it's not falling on deaf ears 
biggrin.gif
  And I really appreciate the kind words!

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #86 of 88
Quote:
I haven't quite read this whole thread yet, but, given the fact that you already have some portables, I'd get one $400 pair of cans.  I've never bought the multiple headphones for multiple genres approach since it seems to me like a good pair should do everything competently (and many do!).  Now, if you just want multiple sound signatures on hand for the sake of it, that's fine, but I'd advocate getting the best sound you can first then going for different flavors out of curiosity/for fun afterward if you've still got that itch.

In my collection I'd say about 6 headphones get regular use, if that food for thought helps at all. 

Thanks for the insight! I've almost pulled the trigger on a single $400 headphone, right now I'm just deciding which route to go.  It seems like you've got a pretty (incredibly) nice lineup of cans yourself driver, any insight for somebody looking for an open can that can provide some authoritative sub bass under $500? That's pretty much what my major concern is, since pretty much all headphones in the $300+ category are competent for most stuff.  From my (very extensive) research, the HE 400 seems like the best bet, and the new Fidelio X1 seems interesting.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #88 of 88
Quote:
Yeah, if they're anything like my HE-500's (which most say they are, but with some differences that actually sound favorable to you), then the Hifimans are a good bet.

That's what I'm hoping for.  I got to try them for a bit and I thought they were great, but I don't really remember them all that well since it was only a brief audition.  Regardless they're probably the way I'm going to go 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back