One can to rule them all: Looking for $1k replacement for my mid-fi cans
Oct 16, 2020 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
In another thread I've been talking about which of my mid-tier cans to get rid of (DT880, HD600, HD650). It's a hard choice because all three are awesome and have nuanced differences. But maybe I should get rid of them all and replace with something good enough to put to bed the debate of which of the three I should keep.

I'm willing to spend up to $1k. And I'm not willing to upgrade my Asgard 3/4490 amp/dac. Maybe I'd get a Modius. Maybe.

$1k gets me an LCD-2F. Is that the end of the conversation? Done? I also hear great things about the Focal Elex and the DT1990. Hifimans, too, though I like to avoid buying Chinese stuff when there are good alternatives, which is rare. Thoughts?

PS: I mostly do classical.

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Mostly classical, LCD-2F is a no-go. It's a great all around set of cans, smooth, warm, but not good for classical IMHO. Probably, planars are not a top choice for classical generally although some of the higher end (2.500 euros/dollars) may get there.

If there is one set of cans that does everything I don't know what it is. I think a pair of HD 600s and LCD-2F covers a lot of bases, but the HD 600s need a good amp. That doesn't have to be expensive, but it is necessary to get the most out of them. Given you don't want to change your amp you may be cutting yourself off from the best choices.

HD 800/800S is probably a great choice for mostly classical because it has big soundstage, although it is very resolving and analytical and may be harsh on bad recordings. Hopefully some people who listen to mostly classical can make additional suggestions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-classical-music.870956/

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Oct 18, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 10
It's targeted at guys using phones and laptops.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 10
I use my phone and a laptop as a source, albeit via a Schiit dac and amp.
The new T1 is intended for use by guys with no amp, running directly off phones and laptops.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 10
You’ll get much better results upgrading your chain. HD 650/600 can scale like no other headphone known to mankind. Especially HD 650. Get a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball + Modi Multibit. You’ll be done for a while.

When you come back with a USD 3000+ budget upgrade next time, buy a Gungnir Multibit + a more expensive tube amp like Feliks at that point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back