Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jan 18, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #391 of 401
@Saberpunch the listed Lcd-1 cable is not balanced though
I wouldn't back into SE mode after going balanced
just saying
Why not? The idea that balanced designs yield sound quality improvements is total audio myth. There isn't a snow balls chance in Hades that you could distinguish a balanced cable from a non-balanced cable in blind listening, level matched trials. And I am not someone who didn't try balanced in several instances so I have no axe to grind. It can be useful if you need more power though.

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #393 of 401
Why not? Because ab'ing give a clear refinement : to my ears of course.. . Balanced operation changes some aspect of the sound in the right way.
You are being very reasonable when you attempt to limit the claim to your ears only. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it would be wonderful if making limitation claims were the norm as opposed to the exception. There isn't actually any reasonable explanation for how balanced could change the sound beyond sighted expectation confirmation bias. Regardless, you seem to be putting effort into being reasonable so that should be applauded.

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #394 of 401
It goes by reason assuming that you consider hundreds of audio engeneers and brands and designs that imply a balanced construction , nonsense. Let alone thousands of listeners' ears.

No problem with that personally.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #395 of 401
It may sound like heresy, but trusting your ears, in cases such as this is actually a really bad bet. I am trying to avoid getting into a huge chat and derail the thread more, but briefly sighted listening tests are worse than useless and do not constitute anything akin to evidence. Additionally, it isn't surprising to find engineers and innovators who greatly overstate, or leave out a great deal of context about a technology or product implementation in order to make money. You don't have to lie for example, but underemphasizing or overemphasizing certain characteristics, and extrapolating/exaggerating possible effects is a very powerful marketing tool.

What works best about creating an expectation is that the customer base does all the work. You get them excited and let their imaginations run. Suddenly you have created a pseudo reality that is difficult to unseat because people have so deeply invested themselves emotionally in something that really isn't at all emotionally relevant.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #398 of 401

Users who are viewing this thread

Back