ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #15,332 of 16,326
Thanks for the response and your advice, so I should go for the TRS jack just to be safe. I'll go on youtube and see how I can shield the amplifier.
I'm still wondering if I need to open it up via the screen like an iphone

Lately in this thread it's been posted repeatedly that using 3.5mm dangle in 2.5mm Balanced Out socket will damage your DAP's amplifier.

Hey, isn't there some concern about using conversion plugs (2.5mm to 3.5mm) that could mess up the Onkyo? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you will get balanced sound out of the 2.5m to 3.5mm conversion adapter.
Others please weight in!!!

No. This is a myth that's been pushed here lately.

The scenario is always same, shorting Ground + and Ground - will damage the DAP. That is simply not true, or else I would have blown my DP X1 month ago, since I use 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor almost every day, I don't have soldering iron here to replace the 3.5 plug for 2.5 Balanced TRRS plug, so I use my Audeze headphones with 3.5mm plug, and single ended cable. No damage to DAP. I never read a single report anywhere that 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adaptor has damaged the DAP, not in this thread, nor threads about Fiio X7 II, ibasso DX200, various Astell threads, they all have 2.5mm Balanced out, and people use 3.5mm dongle adaptor.

Maybe I have missed posts reporting damaged DAP due to using dongle, I'm glad if someone posted a link.

The moment you plug in the dongle, Ground + and Ground - are shorted, meaning they are simply connected. Why would this damage the DAP? It is 2 Grounds that the dongle connects, in order to put out Single Ended output, and nothing bad happens as a result. Nothing is fried, not amp inside the DAP. If I'm wrong, and amps have been damaged I'd like a link.

Of course if you use 3.5mm single ended (every cable out there that has common Ground) you wont get Balanced output. The idea is to use dangle, so you can use your regular 3.5mm plug headphones. For balanced output you use 2.5mm output socket, your cable has a 2.5mm TRRS plug, and separate Ground to each channel, aka Balanced cable. But by simply pluging in a 2.5mm TRRS plug, Onkyo will turn on 2 DACs and 2 amps.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #15,333 of 16,326
Hi again.
Yes your right I'm afraid, will only read music off a usb stick
I'm trying to find ways to use my Dp-x1 more, just thought it could serve two purposes really.
I use it with the Lz - A4 but they get uncomfortable very quick.
So many headphones to choose from, I would like a set of over ears would be more comfortable, but can't decide on a pair. With a 400 dollar Aussie budget mind you.
Anyway thanks for your time dbaldock

It seems like using the Line Output to RCA Input, is your best choice for audio quality, when sending the music from your DP-X1 into your WXC-50. It will allow streaming audio into your sound system (as long as you've got a WiFi Network connection for the DP-X1).

I use my LZ-A4 earphones with the wires over-the-ear, swapping the Left & Right earpieces, for a more comfortable & secure fit. That's one of the benefits of MMCX - you can swap the earpieces to whichever side is a better fit.

Jan 2, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #15,334 of 16,326
Had a minor panic over my DP-X1 this weekend only to find the source of the issue was really simple and stupid.

Went to bed Friday with my DP-X1 on about a 75% charge. Woke up to a dead battery. Charged it, but it was acting funny, not displaying the charge percentage until fully charged.

Went to bed Saturday some deal - 75% charge, but woke up again on Sunday to a dead DP-X1. Began to worry the battery took a real fast crap and died. I have a long flight coming this weekend and was horrified at the idea of no music.

I checked the battery usage and it turns out the Onkyo app "Essential Apps" used 90%+ of the battery. I had accidentally clicked on it with no WiFi, and apparently the app was repeatedly attempting to update to no avail, draining the battery.

I uninstalled all updates and disabled the app. DP-X1 running fine again.

Just a PSA to increase your battery life - disable all apps you don't use, especially ones that might run in the background. This was an extreme example, but I otherwise get great battery life with nothing dragging the system down except for the music I play.

Jan 2, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #15,335 of 16,326
I'm purchasing this unit solely to use it as a transport. My main concern is its ability to keep its connection to my headphone amp through my Audioquest Dragon Tail OTG cable, while I'm mobile (walking and such).

I really love my LH Labs V2+ Infinity/Revive combo. I'm using my Aurisonics ASG 2.5/2.0's mainly with a Black Dragon cable feeding them. I ordered a Silvergarde S (silver occ litz) cable from Norne Audio and hopefully it will arrive by Friday. I need a better source than my iPhone, geeeezzz! I can totally hear graininess coming through my headphones from the iphone, though my combo cleans it up greatly! I'm hoping this dap will send a cleaner signal to my amp for a better sound(?) ! The two things I like the most about the DP-1A X is the eq. and the storage capabilities, although I'm not too crazy about the Android part of it! I know this will make a big difference in the sound I acquire from my amp, but how much more of a difference will it make?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #15,336 of 16,326
I'm purchasing this unit solely to use it as a transport. My main concern is its ability to keep its connection to my headphone amp through my Audioquest Dragon Tail OTG cable, while I'm mobile (walking and such).

I really love my LH Labs V2+ Infinity/Revive combo. I'm using my Aurisonics ASG 2.5/2.0's mainly with a Black Dragon cable feeding them. I ordered a Silvergarde S (silver occ litz) cable from Norne Audio and hopefully it will arrive by Friday. I need a better source than my iPhone, geeeezzz! I can totally hear graininess coming through my headphones from the iphone, though my combo cleans it up greatly! I'm hoping this dap will send a cleaner signal to my amp for a better sound(?) ! The two things I like the most about the DP-1A X is the eq. and the storage capabilities, although I'm not too crazy about the Android part of it! I know this will make a big difference in the sound I acquire from my amp, but how much more of a difference will it make?
you are wanting to go 3.5mm out to your LH or USB out? USB out is way better.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #15,340 of 16,326
Here it is with the Mojo.
20170124_181330.jpg

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #15,342 of 16,326
Man that looks awesome! I'm thinking of ordering mine tonight!!
How strong of an effect does the eq have?
Man, I starting to ACHE, that looks nice!
I know I'm waaaayyy late in the game, but I received my Onkyo X1A today and hooked it up. Man this thing sounds way better than my iPhone connected to my headphone amplifier through USB! It sounds so clean!! I'm playing Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro, Woweeee!!
The only thing I see (as everyone else has stated) is the battery power really does suck apples...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #15,343 of 16,326
I know I'm waaaayyy late in the game, but I received my Onkyo X1A today and hooked it up. Man this thing sounds way better than my iPhone connected to my headphone amplifier through USB! It sounds so clean!! I'm playing Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro, Woweeee!!
The only thing I see (as everyone else has stated) is the battery power really does suck apples...
I can get 10-12 hours of play. You need to get rid of all the crap they preload on there as they eat the battery.
I finally bought a MQA album for this after 2 years of owning this.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #15,345 of 16,326
As long as you do not use any apps (other then music player app), have WIFI off, have Bluetooth off, do not use the screen all the time ... you can get around 10 hours (depending on your headphones too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back