ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 20, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #16,231 of 16,326
I'm thinking about getting the DP-X1A - mainly because there's an idolm@ster collab model. Is the battery really that bad on this thing? It's used FWIW, should I also consider getting a spare battery?
I have a 3 year old DP-X1A and my battery still performs as new. I do avoid leaving it on the charger when charging is complete. Battery replacement is not a casual endeavor as the screen needs to be removed to access the battery.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #16,232 of 16,326
Well, I had the Onkyo and thought the sound was really good. But using some type of goop to stabilize my sockets is absurd. So it's sold with someone with the desire to use goop.
Next up: HiBy R6 2020. Safe bet right? It's been sent back to China for repairs. (Yes, I should have bought state-side.)
Onkyo and HiBy=goodbye.
So, now Sony NW-ZX507. This is a really great performer with a slim "remember ""slim""? I'm in line for a M11 Pro LE, but I just might cancel.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #16,233 of 16,326
I have a 3 year old DP-X1A and my battery still performs as new. I do avoid leaving it on the charger when charging is complete. Battery replacement is not a casual endeavor as the screen needs to be removed to access the battery.

Since the battery is stuck to the inside-back of the case, and you can only get into the DP-X1 by removing the screen on the front - you have to unscrew and take out pretty much everything (digital board, analog board, RF board), in order to replace the battery.
My replacement battery is working great, but now I'm doing what @HiFlight mentioned - and disconnecting power as soon as the battery is charged.
Since they never updated the firmware to allow the DP-X1 to work as a USB DAC, there's no danger of it needing to remain connected to a PC USB port for long periods of time.

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #16,234 of 16,326
Hi, I have replaced the battery in my DP-X1 to the one from aliexpress everyone seem to favour. I am getting about 10hr to flat - using in ACG with 130 volume running my Oppo PM2s playing DSF11.2MHz 192kHz file on repeat with everything else switched off.
Does it sound about right? I was maybe expecting a little more.
Not tried single ended yet or in CD quality.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #16,235 of 16,326
My DP-X1 is still going strong after 6 years, holds the charge without fail if it's unused and still a joy to use.
But I have a question that's kind of related, however I am sure that there will be people who can answer.
I have a requirement for a 2nd device that I can load up with music and leave at my camping cabin, for use with a Bluetooth speaker. I have a spare Android tablet (in storage so don't want to dig it out for nothing) that I could use with a 512gb card. If I use this with a decent player app, via Bluetooth only, am I going to notice any dramatic reduction in quality compared to when I do the same with the DP-X1?

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #16,236 of 16,326
My DP-X1 is still going strong after 6 years, holds the charge without fail if it's unused and still a joy to use.
But I have a question that's kind of related, however I am sure that there will be people who can answer.
I have a requirement for a 2nd device that I can load up with music and leave at my camping cabin, for use with a Bluetooth speaker. I have a spare Android tablet (in storage so don't want to dig it out for nothing) that I could use with a 512gb card. If I use this with a decent player app, via Bluetooth only, am I going to notice any dramatic reduction in quality compared to when I do the same with the DP-X1?
You shouldn't notice any difference at all as all the processing is accomplished by the Bluetooth device, not the source.

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #16,237 of 16,326
You shouldn't notice any difference at all as all the processing is accomplished by the Bluetooth device, not the source.
What he/she said.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #16,239 of 16,326
Hi All,
Nice to meet you! I am new here.

Wants to check if any one to play 24/192 song at Apple Music in DP-X1a?

also does any custom firmware for DR-X1a?

Thank you very much.

If you search in this thread, you'll find that there is a "slightly" custom (more like an optimized stock) firmware available, from back in 2016 or 2017. No newer firmware is available.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #16,241 of 16,326
Thanks! I found one from xvortex, but it is for DP-X1. I don't know if it is for DP-X1a or not.

@XVortex is still on the Head-Fi Forums, but hasn't been active on this thread for quite a while.
There's no difference in the Processor, CPU Support Chips, or DAC Chips between the DP-X1A and DP-X1B.
For the DP-X1A, Onkyo added 32GB of internal storage, and upgraded some of the electronic parts in the Analog Circuitry - but that doesn't affect the firmware compatibility.
The Android 5.1.1 update/patch that Onkyo released when the DP-X1A came out, is also compatible with both units (I've got it installed on my DP-X1B).
If you're planning to root your device, you can use the more up-to-date Magisk, rather than the older SuperSU.
However, some of the Magisk modules won't install on the older Android 5.1.1 on the DP-X1.

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #16,242 of 16,326
@XVortex is still on the Head-Fi Forums, but hasn't been active on this thread for quite a while.
There's no difference in the Processor, CPU Support Chips, or DAC Chips between the DP-X1A and DP-X1B.
For the DP-X1A, Onkyo added 32GB of internal storage, and upgraded some of the electronic parts in the Analog Circuitry - but that doesn't affect the firmware compatibility.
The Android 5.1.1 update/patch that Onkyo released when the DP-X1A came out, is also compatible with both units (I've got it installed on my DP-X1B).
If you're planning to root your device, you can use the more up-to-date Magisk, rather than the older SuperSU.
However, some of the Magisk modules won't install on the older Android 5.1.1 on the DP-X1.
Well noted.

I guess someone made Andriod 6.0 / 7.0 for Onkyo, if stay on Andriod 5.1.1. I will not flash the custom firmware.

BTW, if I root it, can I edit it to bypass Android SRC?

thank you very much bro!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #16,243 of 16,326
Well noted.

I guess someone made Andriod 6.0 / 7.0 for Onkyo, if stay on Andriod 5.1.1. I will not flash the custom firmware.

BTW, if I root it, can I edit it to bypass Android SRC?

thank you very much bro!

I'm pretty sure the only Onkyo portable "audio" device with a version of Android newer than v5.1.1, was the Granbeat DP-CMX1 Smartphone, and it ran v6.0.

I don't know the details of DIY SRC bypass, but I think there are at least three apps that can use the the full bit-perfect capabilities of the Dual ESS DACs - the Onkyo Music Player, UAPP, and Neutron Player.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #16,244 of 16,326
I use Neutron and it works without any problem and at the correct bitrate. I think that the Onkyo doesn't need any root to play music very well.

Oct 3, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #16,245 of 16,326
I’m thinking buying a DP-X1A to support my large library.
I currently use a Hifiman HM-901S and this one sucks when navigating/playing large library.
Also I used to play my music full random tracks.
Is this Onkyo player able to play full random tracks (around 8k~9k tracks) with ease?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back