ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 26, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #8,686 of 16,326
  I am using my DP-X1 mostly as a transport: DP-X1 >-USB -> Regen -> Schitt Gungnir Multi-Bit -> Violectric 281

I have tried 3 different OTG cables from different manufactures and none of them will charge the DP-X1. I've tried disconnecting the DAC usb cable and that doesn't help. The same USB cable that I can plug in directly to the DP-X1 will charge it fine when plugged in directly. It doesn't make sense to me that the charging doesn't work with an OTG cable but does if directly plugged in. The pins carrying the power should be the same.

Can any other DP-X1 owners let me know if they have the same issue or have any ideas on why this isn't working?

It's a pain to have to disconnect and charge in between uses. The DP-X1 sounds outstanding as a transport so I would love to find a solution for this.

Thanks!

OTG cannot charge and send data at the same time. This is an Android limitation. Some folks have tried various combinations with powered hubs but results are mixed. 

May 26, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #8,687 of 16,326
To clarify - these are OTG cables with an extra USB connection for power. Like this

http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Micro-Cable-Adapter-Tablets/dp/B00V81L9M8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

May 26, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #8,688 of 16,326
To clarify - these are OTG cables with an extra USB connection for power. Like this

http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Micro-Cable-Adapter-Tablets/dp/B00V81L9M8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Those generally mean that the same cable can be used for OTG or charging but not both simultaneously in host mode. In receiving mode, yes you can receive data and charge at the same time. When you are sending data to your DAC, the DP-X1 is in host mode.

You can also look into custom kernels after rooting the DP-X1, but as stock it will not charge in host mode.

Edit - bad terminology on my part, it's OTG A or OTG B mode. When the DP-X1 sends data to an external DAC, it is operating in OTG A mode which by definition means that power flows from the DP-X1 to the external DAC. In OTG B mode data flows from the external device to the DP-X1 along with power.

May 26, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #8,689 of 16,326
Some good news on the X1 front.  I listened to Spotify the last 2 days in balanced mode and didn't hear the noise.  It sounds fantastic with IEM's balanced mode 2.5mm!  I prefer balanced over the ACG mode.  I did hear the noise previously, I might have been in ACG mode, 3.5mm, or the noise might have been Spotify downloading.  I'll have to try everything back to back.

The X1 balanced mode, with ASG2.5's with the bass about 50%, is almost good enough not to use my amp any more.

I'm assuming the second amp only comes on in balanced mode because the volume is noticeably increased. 

Good to hear that!

May 26, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #8,690 of 16,326
IEM pairing update:

JH Laylas do not sound good in either SE or balanced with the DP-X1. I've experienced this with other DAPs and believe there is a power requirement to make them sing. Laylas will stay with my CDM.

However, JH Rosie sound great with DP-X1. Laylas sounded dark and muddy but Rosies don't have that problem. Very nice highs with good detail and no sibilance. Bass tuning gives a fairly wide range of bass head preference. I like a shade above neutral and have the Rosies dialed a little less than default setting. There is plenty of boost available to make most bass heads happy. For you analytical types, there is a good amount to dial back bass as well. Mids are a little warm, but not overly so and compliments vocals. Very smooth and enjoyable and no danger of fatigue.

I would highly recommend JH Rosie for the DP-X1. The fact that it comes with both SE and Balanced cables makes it a great fit.

Layla is 12 BA drivers on each side.

May 26, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #8,691 of 16,326
I am using my DP-X1 mostly as a transport: DP-X1 >-USB -> Regen -> Schitt Gungnir Multi-Bit -> Violectric 281

I have tried 3 different OTG cables from different manufactures and none of them will charge the DP-X1. I've tried disconnecting the DAC usb cable and that doesn't help. The same USB cable that I can plug in directly to the DP-X1 will charge it fine when plugged in directly. It doesn't make sense to me that the charging doesn't work with an OTG cable but does if directly plugged in. The pins carrying the power should be the same.

Can any other DP-X1 owners let me know if they have the same issue or have any ideas on why this isn't working?

It's a pain to have to disconnect and charge in between uses. The DP-X1 sounds outstanding as a transport so I would love to find a solution for this.

Thanks!

Really interested to see a picture of this set up.

May 26, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #8,692 of 16,326
Sorry if this has been covered, but is the X1 available for sale in the US yet? I see Amazon has a number sellers in east Asia but I don't find it for sale by US merchants. BH Photo has listed as coming soon but no date. Sorry, I have not slogged through all 560 pages of this thread. I love this forum but we seriously need rooms for each piece of equipment with sub threads.

May 26, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #8,693 of 16,326
Sorry if this has been covered, but is the X1 available for sale in the US yet? I see Amazon has a number sellers in east Asia but I don't find it for sale by US merchants. BH Photo has listed as coming soon but no date. Sorry, I have not slogged through all 560 pages of this thread. I love this forum but we seriously need rooms for each piece of equipment with sub threads.

On Amazon I think there are two listings for the DP-X1 - go to the listing with reviews and then look at the sellers. I selected Onkyo when I purchased mine so I was certain I was getting it with the US warranty. I just checked and they are on the list of sellers today although it changes periodically. I noticed at least one other US based seller on the list. Amazon should really make this clearer as I feel bad for people who may purchase without realizing a seller is out of the country and end up with a huge hassle for warranty work if needed. Sometimes finding the list of sellers is hard to do on a smartphone so you might want to try a computer or iPad when looking.

May 26, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #8,694 of 16,326
Those generally mean that the same cable can be used for OTG or charging but not both simultaneously in host mode. In receiving mode, yes you can receive data and charge at the same time. When you are sending data to your DAC, the DP-X1 is in host mode.

You can also look into custom kernels after rooting the DP-X1, but as stock it will not charge in host mode.

Edit - bad terminology on my part, it's OTG A or OTG B mode. When the DP-X1 sends data to an external DAC, it is operating in OTG A mode which by definition means that power flows from the DP-X1 to the external DAC. In OTG B mode data flows from the external device to the DP-X1 along with power.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That's disappointing as my iOS device can do both at the same time but it's sample rate is fixed and the sound quality takes a serious hit. I may have to save for a desktop transport. Overall I really like the DP-X1 but still experimenting with it and some additional software. So far I've mainly used the built in Music app which I am happy with except for the EQ which seems really bad so I leave it off.

May 26, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #8,698 of 16,326
direct comparisons with fiio x7?
[/quote
Used for comparison iems:Noble k10u-JH Audio Rosie-Etymotic Er4s-Westone W30-Earsonics Sem-9
X7's voice neutral.
There treble roll-off.
There are also x7 background noise.
scene is not deep.
lower frequencies are weak.
mid-range frequencies very well.

Onkyo
it's hot in the middle frequencies.
the lower frequencies are strong.
treble less glossy and firm.
There are background sounds and noise,
this is a big minus.
The lower frequencies in balanced mode is tight, but the highs are harsh.

May 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #8,699 of 16,326
X7's voice neutral.
There treble roll-off.
There are also x7 background noise.
scene is not deep.
lower frequencies are weak.
mid-range frequencies very well.

Onkyo
it's hot in the middle frequencies.
the lower frequencies are strong.
treble less glossy and firm.
There are background sounds and noise,
this is a big minus.
The lower frequencies in balanced mode is tight, but the highs are harsh.

Please add what IEMs/Headphones you use in this comparison. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back