Open vs closed headphones
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

imrazor

Head-Fier
I recently acquired a 'open back' PC gaming headset, the Sennheiser PC363D. While the microphone is top notch, I'm not entirely satisfied with the drivers. They are supposed to be the same drivers as the HD 558/598 and to provide a similarly wide soundstage.

But they don't sound open and airy to me, they just seem muffled and a little sloppy, especially on the low end. My closed back HD 280 Pros sound substantially better to me; much more immediate and clear. The PC363Ds do seem to provide a little more detail, but I still prefer the overall sound of the HD 280s.

It seems strange that the relatively cheap HD 280s sound so much better to me. Am I hearing impaired? Similarly, 'virtual 7.1 surround' adds no value for me; it just sounds like everything is in a echo chamber.

I've heard that the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO headset is based on the closed back HD 380. Would I probably like those better than the PC 363D?

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 2
Ive used the Game Zero and the 598 closed back edition myself. I personally found that the 598 CS had MUCH better clarity than the open backed edition which I heard in an exhibition. Compared to the Game Zero, the 598 has both a wider sound stage, better clarity as well. For the reason the game zero sounds rather muffled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back