Opinions needed before I go listen to/buy Schiit Asgard & Bifrost, Im using Ultrasone Ed 8 (also, need comment on weakspots on my rigs ;) )
Nov 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Operculate

New Head-Fier
I've been a lurker here for years and this is my first post. I've been enjoying my Ed 8's for 1 1/2 years now, very satisfied customer! (Although the right earpad recently lost its grip with the double sided tape..) I'll just ramble on and will be thankful for any insights on my thoughts here :)

So Ive been reading up on reasonable upgrades for my setup and am considering the Schiit Asgard solid state amp. I already got a Practical Devices XM6, but after 1 1/2 years it's already bugging up (the volume knob is loose, crackling loud noises threatening to blow the headphones). Ive mainly been using it as an USB soundcard for my main computer (gaming, music etc) but I also have a Asus Xonar Essence STX installed which I havent used much due to the sound was much better on the XM6.
I read that the DAC on the STX is decent enough, so I thought Id add the Asgard for amp purposes on that setup.

My multimedia setup in the livingroom consists of 60" plasma, 2x Dali Ikon 6 speakers, Marantz 6001 receiver, htpc, etc etc etc.. How about addind the Bifrost as a DAC to this setup? I sometimes plug the Ed 8's in the Marantz while lounging in the evening, but the sound is coming from the HTPC onboard soundcard which is default (bad).

Sound sources are Spotify (high quality streaming ofc) on iphone and PC, FLAC on PC (Foobar), BlueRAY or 1080p movies with VLC, PlayStation 3, etc.

Any comments on Schiit Upgrades, or other options? Any weakspots on the different rigs? Thanks in advance!

Other equipment: "high end" laptop (Asus Zenbook 13" 1920x1080) with SSD), an old Squeezebox which I dont use nearly enough, but I think the DAC/sound is really awesome when streaming mp3, Monster Turbine Pro earplugs (they fall out, Im thinking about getting some customs).

PS. Also considering LCD-2, but are they different enough from the Ultrasones? Ill try to get a listen to them at a store on Monday. I actually use the Ultrasones wherever I go; subway, travelling, at work during lunch, not afraid for wear and tear or theft, Im a big guy.. So adding an open headphone for only home use is a good idea, but it has to be at least different from the Ed8s, or better somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back