OPPO Introduces Sonica: A $299 High Fidelity Wi-Fi Speaker
May 31, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #46 of 148
  I would love to get one of these for my kitchen, but I do have a functional dilemma.

Being a classical-head, I have about 20% of my music on DSD. Please - no DSD vs. PCM wars - this is just my situation.

My DLNA/uPnP server is a Synology NAS running minimServer. I already have 2 uPnP streamer/DACs that pull from the server - an Oppo BDP-105D, and an Auralic Aries Mini. Both of these support DSD natively. 

I know I can configure MinimServer to transcode DSD to PCM, but it seems to be an all or nothing setting, rather than a per-streamer setting only for the Sonica.

So if I want to stream DSD to the Sonica, the only solution I can think of is to fire up a second uPnP server pointing at the same NAS, with this one configured to transcode.

Anyone have a better idea? I don't claim to fully understand the intricacies of uPnP, so there may be a more creative option.

I am not proficient with uPnP, so I don't have the answer.
If someone here doesn't come up with any ideas though, you can try sending it to Oppo's customer support.
They are very responsive and helpful too. https://www.oppodigital.com/contactus.aspx

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #47 of 148
I have had my Sonica speaker for a few days now.  It was extremely simple to setup for the wifi via the Oppo app on my iPhone (or iPad).  It sounds very nice however I feel a second speaker would be nice for the stereo separation.  I may buy a second speaker for that reason.  So, should I have bought two Sonos 1 speakers for $400 for a pair or spend $600 for a pair of the Sonicas?  Not sure.  I did test the speaker connected to my Visio TV as a better speaker (than the one on the TV) in my bedroom and it worked just fine (using the setup mode on the iPhone app).  I wonder though if it sounds better than the Sonos 1 speaker.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #49 of 148
Fred, Oppo Sonica costs the same price as Sonos Play:3, not Sonos Play:1, so we should compare these two speakers (Oppo Sonica and Sonos Play: 3). Oppo Sonica definitely must sound better then Sonos Play:1 (if not then Sonica is overpriced).

I actually prefer the sound of the Play:1 to the Play:3.  I had them both for a while... sold the Play:3.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #51 of 148
Hmmm... really curious and interested but... Guess I'll have to force myself to wait a bit more and get more feedback before giving in and order. 
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #52 of 148
Jun 11, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #53 of 148
  http://link.bluetooth.com/m/1/58195719/b15916-c6bbe1ec-a292-43bc-b0ed-289bc62041f7/25/924/b9503bd4-66ea-4261-9e38-48620b7b3c14
Hi Oppo team!
As known from link above next week world will meet Bluetooth 5 and it will be much faster than current version. Would you update Sonica to include the best possible audio quality via Bluetooth? As I understand Bluetooth 5.0 will be OK for uncompressed music streaming.

They already have excellent long range reception with their current Bluetooth implementation, and the ability to use the in-house wifi network.
So what exactly is your concern with the Sonica speakers that you think they need BT5?

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #54 of 148

They already have excellent long range reception with their current Bluetooth implementation, and the ability to use the in-house wifi network.
So what exactly is your concern with the Sonica speakers that you think they need BT5?

As I understand BT5 will be able to stream uncompressed music. So If you want to stream uncompressed music from Android smartphone or PC BT5 will be better than BT4.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #55 of 148

As I understand BT5 will be able to stream uncompressed music. So If you want to stream uncompressed music from Android smartphone or PC BT5 will be better than BT4.

Yes that part is obvious, but in what situation would this benefit the speakers?
Most setups will have wifi in-house so there isn't even a need for Bluetooth unless you are streaming from an app like Pandora,
and in those cases the streaming app would need offer higher resolution audio to stream via Bluetooth and no apps currently offer that.
It will probably be quite a while before that technology comes to mainstream if ever.
We still have MQA technology on the horizon also and who knows what may become of that as well.
Lastly, I'm sure that BT5 technology would require different hardware and I don't think Oppo is going to redesign the hardware on their speakers
to incorporate something that may have no benefit yet. Perhaps in the future, if they keep making speakers.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #56 of 148
BTW, if you weren't already aware, you can stream higher resolution music up 24/192 with the current Sonica speakers via wifi.
I believe the current limitation of Bluetooth is 16/24, or close to it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #59 of 148
Own a set of PM-3's "with no measurements"...very happy with them at $399...thanks!
wink.gif

Oppo PM-3 Measurements: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/OppoPM3.pdf

:)

Oppo does make some pretty solid products. I personally also love the PM-3 (my review here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back