Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,381 of 3,729

Thanks HasturTheYellow, I was hoping for a price below $100 but $149 is not the end of the world.

I can't wait to try my PM-1 with my Schiit Mjolnir :wink:

Patrick

We definitely considered price as a factor when designing not only the headphones but also the interface for the headphone cables. The after-market cable industry is definitely something that we had an eye on. cute, example, is already using DoubleHelix cables with their PM-1, so I would expect the after-market to fill in where our cables are not economical or not specialized enough for the user.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,382 of 3,729
I love the PM-1's and plan to get balanced cables and grow them to all they can be system wise. These are fine phones and I am stoked with the purchase.

Two things are apparent. A) I will be selling the HD800 as a result of buying the PM-1 and B) This thread is not an impressions thread, it's an extremely sad campaign by people who don't even own the PM-1's for what ever reason want to hate them.

Myself and many others are loving these phones, it's a shame that people will search for information regarding this and find this shambolic thread derailed beyond belief by haters.

Unsubscribed...

You should not unsubscribe...

But I agree with you about what's happening on this thread, it's really irritating to see the same guys bitching everyday about a product that they have not even tried.

Patrick

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,385 of 3,729
I'm 100% getting the HA-1, but I wonder if Oppo would consider a package deal for a PM-1 / HA-1 combo. That may be the nudge I need to get the PM-1 over the LCD-XC.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,386 of 3,729

Sorry I brought it up!

Rats, I thought you were going to say "I was just kidding!"
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,387 of 3,729
Oh by coming in here, saying one loves the headphone and leaving again, one just provides some very useful information and contributes immensely to the discussion. Instead of writing a bit about them and why one likes them, one does nothing.
Some people are ecstatic, some like them, some dislike them and some hate them. Absolutely nothing wrong with either. Every single one of those posts bring something and if one thinks hate is mutually exclusive to this thread, one got another thing coming... Such discussions only reveal the best and worst of a phone. No headphone is perfect and no headphone is absolutely terrible [well...there might be a few exceptions]. Sugar coating does no good, endless bashing does no good either, but it might still at least provide some information.
But some come here, make a scene and for instance, exclaim that they're unsubscribing because this thread is a "sad campaign for all the haters", etc...
Some people ain't being a little sissy at all :rolleyes:  

I am slowly gaining some interest in the Oppo [the HA-1 looks very good and so does the PM-2] but some posts don't do much good, really.
Sorry if I came off as unnecessarily harsh, but if one defends a product, he should always provide reasons for his actions, please.

[One=anyone who fits such criteria]

Edited for objectivity purposes.

Have'nt disappeared yet! But one thing is confusing me about you, why the hell are you commenting (negatively) on an impressions thread for a phone you don't even own :rolleyes: why don't you shut up until you have something to say that is relevant. Man, I know they say don't feed them but it's tough sometimes.

Edit - Apologies, the above was a kneejerk reaction. What I should have said was read a few pages back as I already posted my impressions. You can read a little I guess. I posted impressions because I own them. I suggest that when you own them, you post impressions also, negative or otherwise but until then just butt out!

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,389 of 3,729

So are those who actually have the pm-1 finding that it "scales" pretty well with amp and source. I wondered about this since it seems to need very little with regard to amping. 

The good thing about the PM1 is that it sounds quite good straight out of the iPhone5S to me. 

But comparing between a Cavalli DIY EHHA versus a Cavalli Liquid Fire, there is noticeable difference. The strengths and flaws of each amplifier stands out. 

I haven't tried with changing DACs yet. Only use a 'lowly' Schitt Modi. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,390 of 3,729

We definitely considered price as a factor when designing not only the headphones but also the interface for the headphone cables. The after-market cable industry is definitely something that we had an eye on. cute, example, is already using DoubleHelix cables with their PM-1, so I would expect the after-market to fill in where our cables are not economical or not specialized enough for the user.

Thanks HasturTheYellow.  I think that you should also consider selling a longer 'short cable'.  (Minimum 48 inches.)

Patrick

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,391 of 3,729

Thanks HasturTheYellow, that'd be great if you could also sell a longer 'short cable'.  (48 inches.)

Patrick

Already in the Skunkworks. It will like be longer than 1.2m (48"), but it will be a happy medium for customers who want a shorter, portable cable but at the same time want something that is a good length for use with a computer/desktop amplifier.

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,393 of 3,729
  While we are on the topic of cables, I know some of you were looking into getting a pair of balanced cables, so I am happy to report that we should have 2m and 3m balanced cables available within two weeks. The price for the 2m cable has not been established, but we anticipate selling the 3m balanced cable for $149.00.

What, aren't the cable supposed to cost half the price of the phone or higher?? These Oppo guys have no clue :wink: ....   

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,394 of 3,729
  PM1s are actually critically damped according to a few ortho aficionados, so a good, succinct impulse response does make sense.

Critically damped. First time I heard of this term was in the abyss discussions and I wonder what the heck this means for a headphone? 

Critical damping is a term that applies to one degree of freedom (mass-spring-damper system), which a headphone does not even look like at the fundamental driver resonance because you not only have the diaphragm stiffness/mass/damping but the spring effect the acoustic chamber in front of it, leakage through pads and or vents, possibly perforated baffle and closed rear chamber. Basically, more often than not, it's all but single dof.

Now, if that refers to the damping coefficient and how the impulse response behaves (e.g. neither oscillates nor be over damped), I still find the statement bizarre as a phone impulse response is all but the result of a single resonance. Even then, assuming so, you can just look at the inner fidelity impulse response to verify that there is no critical damping there, just a very large amount of damping, esp. at high frequency, which makes the impulse response decays nicely.

Sorry if that's getting OT, we"re not supposed to discuss anything objective in this thread I recall 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,395 of 3,729
And per Bigshot and my little test above my bet is you would need a good strong resonator like a wood cup to get there.

Ooo oppo should make pm2 with wood cups... (!)

I ordered mine last week Wednesday, 2:30 PM central, paid $15 extra for FedEx two-day, FedEx picked them up two hours later, got them Friday 3:30 PM central....really glad I paid for the two-day shipping!  Been loving them since!

I should have paid the extra shipping cost. I guess I'm at the bottom of the list. 
'

Haha You guys should have clicked "buy" in the first ten minutes like me..
Had them so long now I am over the honeymoon phase lol.
:p

:popcorn: *Thankful for impressions as someone on the fence about whats next*
Even though the oppos are open and someone compared the bass to the AD(closed) I found it very useful:beerchug:  . I  have come to love the battle of the flagships thread that compared all kinds of drivers and ranked them over eachother without categories when a newb like me didnt know what to expect from these headphones. 

Despite the differences of opinion on the treble I can atleast conclude that the oppo has detail in the treble which is pleasing to hear. I hope it is a dynamic headphone and can punch like a dynamic. I am actually reconsidering the he560 and dont know because if the 650 and crack and speedball dont get me it will be either one of these because I love deep and tight bass with clear/transparent mids. I also find the lcd2 kinda boring and want more soundstage a tiny bit and really like the idea of full clear mids like the oppo is promising. 

Any attempt/effort to offer someone in the dark some light on a product is appreciated regardless of peoples lack of skills or boundaries in doing so. We make ourselves vulnerable to share our opinions and I appreciate that. 

It's really quite simple.
If you like neutral or soft or heavy cans like LCD then oppo should do.

If you like brighter cans like T1 or hd800 then this not for you unless you want to compliment it and not replace it.

I have some findings to post about resolution but I am waiting on my new power supply for more power, to achieve my final results.

As far as I have been informed there will be no bundling discounts.

Then how about an ETA?
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back