OPPO PM3 Cable suggestion / Atom Stack
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

l3gion

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

It’s been like 5 years ago I bought a Oppo PM3 and 3 years ago I gave it to my sis.

Due to a lot of travels I had to buy anc headphone, bought the XM3. But, lately was thinking getting the PM3, so I just bought a Bose 700 for my sis and will trade with her.

Never used any Dac or Amp with these PM3. Before I had a Beyer DT800 and had bought a custom made amp, don’t remember the name. Sold all together before getting the PM3.

Yesterday I bought a JDS Atom Stack, I just read and read ( didn’t found this forum before ) and went ahead with the sale.
I’ll be using this stack with PM3 but will also be used on a later stage to improve my cans to a better ones, so hopefully the stack will not be outperformed.

Right now, I’m looking for a cable that I can use with the stack and PM3. Have read a lot about balanced cables and got even more confused about it.

So I came here, asking for your help, if you can help me with this. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on this, if posible.

Thank you

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 11
The Atom doesn't have a balanced output, so there's no use getting a balanced cable. Is there a reason you don't just want to use the Oppo stock cable?

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 11
The Atom doesn't have a balanced output, so there's no use getting a balanced cable. Is there a reason you don't just want to use the Oppo stock cable?
Well, the thing is the more I read, the more I found people suggesting to change the cable.

If it really doesn't make any or a slight difference, I prefer not to spend the money on it and save for another headphone/iem.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Some people believe that cables can improve sound quality but I personally think that's a myth (generally speaking), so I'd just save your money

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for saving me time and money.

Btw, I see that you also have a PM3.
Do you recommend any ear pads to replace the original ones? I know it’s not the point of this thread, but If I can avoid creating a different one it’s better.

Thank you

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for saving me time and money.

Btw, I see that you also have a PM3.
Do you recommend any ear pads to replace the original ones? I know it’s not the point of this thread, but If I can avoid creating a different one it’s better.

Thank you

I haven't had to replace the original earpads yet, so unfortunately I can't point you in the right direction

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 11
I also use the PM-3 with the Atom stack. Great setup! The stock cables are perfectly fine, though if you have one with a mic it may not be compatible with a 3.5mm-1/4" adapter (which you'd need to use with the Atom). The long cable is also fine, but be careful running over it with a desk chair.

I use the Brainwavz angled pads. To me they sound mostly the same as the stock, with slightly increased soundstage. They're also much larger than stock and look a little goofy if you're planning on going out. I think some people found some pads on Aliexpress that look a lot like the originals. Maybe on Amazon, too? Can't remember. Maybe try searching/asking in the PM-3 thread.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 11
I also use the PM-3 with the Atom stack. Great setup! The stock cables are perfectly fine, though if you have one with a mic it may not be compatible with a 3.5mm-1/4" adapter (which you'd need to use with the Atom). The long cable is also fine, but be careful running over it with a desk chair.

I use the Brainwavz angled pads. To me they sound mostly the same as the stock, with slightly increased soundstage. They're also much larger than stock and look a little goofy if you're planning on going out. I think some people found some pads on Aliexpress that look a lot like the originals. Maybe on Amazon, too? Can't remember. Maybe try searching/asking in the PM-3 thread.

Thank you so much for both advices.
About the cable, I’ll probably use the long one too, but watching out where it stays.

The pads you mentioned were in my cart in Amazon, think I’ll go ahead with them. Hopefully they aren’t that tricky to change.

Also, I’ll take a look in the thread you mentioned, thank you so much.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Don't remember them being tricky at all. Just use something like a credit card to pry off the old pads. You an either remove the clip rings from the pads and then glue/tape the new pads to those, or you can just put the Brainwavs directly onto the cups. The latter way doesn't look particularly neat, but it's easy and it doesn't require destroying the old pads or the new ones; it's the way that I did it. Gluing the new pads to the clip ring probably means trimming some excess from the pads to make them fit; so maybe best to try the other way just to check that you like them.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 11
Don't remember them being tricky at all. Just use something like a credit card to pry off the old pads. You an either remove the clip rings from the pads and then glue/tape the new pads to those, or you can just put the Brainwavs directly onto the cups. The latter way doesn't look particularly neat, but it's easy and it doesn't require destroying the old pads or the new ones; it's the way that I did it. Gluing the new pads to the clip ring probably means trimming some excess from the pads to make them fit; so maybe best to try the other way just to check that you like them.
Thanks for the tip!! I’ll try to clip them and see how it goes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back