OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #316 of 1,240
  Alternative color schemes other than black and white are being discussed, but we have not decided what we will be making available to the North American market.

As for release, likely the HA-2 and PM-3 will be available in January if all of our targets are met, but Q1 2015 at the latest.

As long as there's an internet, we all live in the international market.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #317 of 1,240
These will probably be around $500 for me in aus and $400 for the ha-2 but they seem like they'd be perfect for a portable setup so I really want to get them. I assume they make a great pairing since they're being released around the same time and are both intended for portable use.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #319 of 1,240
  More images as seen on http://pj.hiapk.com/earphone/141031/1558850.html

wow...fresh air....lovely colors !!!!!!!

( i havent been following the last 200pages...is this a CLOSED can?? sorry for the question :p )

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #320 of 1,240
wow...fresh air....lovely colors !!!!!!!

( i havent been following the last 200pages...is this a CLOSED can?? sorry for the question :p )

yes closed portable.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #321 of 1,240

I had the P7 cans and found them good. Then I heard the Oppo PM-2's and well sold the P7's. Different of course since the P7's are closed and the Oppo Pm- 2's are open. There is just something quicker about Planar headphones with vocals and bass that I have fallen in love with. If the PM-3's are anything like the PM-2's we will all be very happy. I think it will also depend on the Genre you listen to. If your music has fast responsive bass and lots of vocals I think a good Planar is the way to go. Personal opinion of course. I have the Alpha Primes coming from Mr. Speakers as soon as they get them shipped, they are closed Planar cans, they will be the home rig. The PM-2's will be the portable set up with HA-2 (If early reviews are good). Now I should start looking at selling off my Denon AH D-5000's (Home Rig) even though they are fantastic, or maybe wait for a side by side comparison, since the Denon's are highly regarded among Head Fiers. Then get rid of the portable cans, the AKG K545 with upgraded cables and invest in some planar magic. I just hope OPPO has a cable that does not have a Mic and volume control for the portable PM-3's. I hate those cables, or at least they give you both or an option! 

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #322 of 1,240
  Oh and how would these compare to the Bowers and Wilkins P7?

I auditioned the B&W P7's extensively when I purchased my NAD Viso HP50's. I also auditioned the Sennheiser Momentum(over ear) and the PSB M4U-2 at the same time. I spent the better part of an hour, much to the chagrin of my 13 year old daughter who had accompanied me to the store, with a variety of music all driven directly from my FiiO X3, which i no longer own, comparing all four sets of headphones. I really liked the P7's for the most part , but ultimately chose the NAD's over the other three headphones in a head to head comparison, with the P7's finishing a close second. I attended TAVES last weekend and was able to audition all three versions of the PM-3 prototypes. I also had my current source, the FiiO X5 and my Viso HP50's with me. Now remember I chose the NAD's over the B&W's in a direct comparison with the not inconsiderable price difference between the two being only a minor factor in my decision. I can tell you that there was no contest in the direct comparison of my HP50's and any of the PM-3 prototypes. The Oppo phones were clearly superior in every aspect. Much better defined and tuneful bass, with more output than the NAD's, which are known to be a little light in the bottom end, but the PM--3's were not overly bass heavy as i found the B&W P7's to be. The highs were more extended and yet much more natural and airy sounding. The kicker however is the midrange of the PM-3's which was in a word sublime, contributing greatly I feel, along with the excellent treble response, to the fantastic soundstaging properties of the PM-3's and their total lack of listening fatigue. The PM-3 prototypes were also much more dynamic than my HP50's I have to say categorically that the Oppo Pm-3's literally embarrassed my NAD Viso HP50's. As soon as I see a pre-order for the PM-3's i will be ordering a pair, that's how impressed I was by them. Oh and on top of all that they were extremely comfortable. I would have to characterize the overall sound of the PM-3's as slightly to the dark or warm side of neutral, more so with one of the prototypes than the others. Also you have to take into consideration that i am now using the X5  as my source instead of the X3.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #323 of 1,240
One thing id be a little concerned about (even at this price range) regarding the PM3 are materials used. $399 is the same price as the B&O H6 which leather, lambskin, aluminium and only a SMALL amount of plastic. If the PM2 lost all the quality materials likely as a reason to justify a price gap from the PM1 Im guessing the PM3 will nearly be all plastic. IMO if its something that can be worn in public then it should be look as good as it sounds. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #324 of 1,240
One thing id be a little concerned about (even at this price range) regarding the PM3 are materials used. $399 is the same price as the B&O H6 which leather, lambskin, aluminium and only a SMALL amount of plastic. If the PM2 lost all the quality materials likely as a reason to justify a price gap from the PM1 Im guessing the PM3 will nearly be all plastic. IMO if its something that can be worn in public then it should be look as good as it sounds. 

Have you actually seen the PM-1 / PM-2 / PM-3 all side by side? ...or felt the difference between materials?
They are pretty much indistinguishable from one another when it comes to look and feel of the materials.
I think the PM-3 look stunning to the naked eye when viewed from bystander perspective. I haven't heard them yet myself, but that will be rectified soon enough.
Also, Oppo has not said there was any compromise to quality of construction between the PM-2 and the PM-3. That is more or less your assumption based on price.
There are other differences between the headphone that can account for a lower price, like different/smaller drivers and ear cups, as well as permanent pads as opposed to removable ones, and the single sided cable connection instead of dual sided.
They will also most likely not come with a long, high quality 6.35 mm connection cable like the PM-1/2 does, since the PM-3 if being sold primarily as a portable headphone.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #325 of 1,240
I'm still hoping for colorways along the lines of the Master and Dynamic headphones or the Aedle headphones. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #326 of 1,240

Have you actually seen the PM-1 / PM-2 / PM-3 all side by side? ...or felt the difference between materials?
They are pretty much indistinguishable from one another when it comes to look and feel of the materials.
I think the PM-3 look stunning to the naked eye when viewed from bystander perspective. I haven't heard them yet myself, but that will be rectified soon enough.
Also, Oppo has not said there was any compromise to quality of construction between the PM-2 and the PM-3. That is more or less your assumption based on price.
There are other differences between the headphone that can account for a lower price, like different/smaller drivers and ear cups, as well as permanent pads as opposed to removable ones, and the single sided cable connection instead of dual sided.
They will also most likely not come with a long, high quality 6.35 mm connection cable like the PM-1/2 does, since the PM-3 if being sold primarily as a portable headphone.

I think he was referring more to the build quality differences between the PM-1 and the PM-2, which Oppo themselves has claimed is the main reason for the price difference between the 1 and 2, but certainly not the only difference, not the PM-2 to the PM-3.

Yes, The PM-3's construction appeared to be predominantly plastic, but I don't think that this automatically dictates a reduction in durability or aesthetics for that matter. All three prototypes I listened to and handled, felt rugged and looked fantastic, although the one cable was damaged and unusable initially on my demo, but replaced immediately with a new one. The PM -3 uses a completely different driver then the PM-1/2 which I believe will account for the bulk of the price difference, but since an Oppo rep is participating in this thread he should be the final word on that..

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #327 of 1,240
  I auditioned the B&W P7's extensively when I purchased my NAD Viso HP50's. I also auditioned the Sennheiser Momentum(over ear) and the PSB M4U-2 at the same time. I spent the better part of an hour, much to the chagrin of my 13 year old daughter who had accompanied me to the store, with a variety of music all driven directly from my FiiO X3, which i no longer own, comparing all four sets of headphones. I really liked the P7's for the most part , but ultimately chose the NAD's over the other three headphones in a head to head comparison, with the P7's finishing a close second. I attended TAVES last weekend and was able to audition all three versions of the PM-3 prototypes. I also had my current source, the FiiO X5 and my Viso HP50's with me. Now remember I chose the NAD's over the B&W's in a direct comparison with the not inconsiderable price difference between the two being only a minor factor in my decision. I can tell you that there was no contest in the direct comparison of my HP50's and any of the PM-3 prototypes. The Oppo phones were clearly superior in every aspect. Much better defined and tuneful bass, with more output than the NAD's, which are known to be a little light in the bottom end, but the PM--3's were not overly bass heavy as i found the B&W P7's to be. The highs were more extended and yet much more natural and airy sounding. The kicker however is the midrange of the PM-3's which was in a word sublime, contributing greatly I feel, along with the excellent treble response, to the fantastic soundstaging properties of the PM-3's and their total lack of listening fatigue. The PM-3 prototypes were also much more dynamic than my HP50's I have to say categorically that the Oppo Pm-3's literally embarrassed my NAD Viso HP50's. As soon as I see a pre-order for the PM-3's i will be ordering a pair, that's how impressed I was by them. Oh and on top of all that they were extremely comfortable. I would have to characterize the overall sound of the PM-3's as slightly to the dark or warm side of neutral, more so with one of the prototypes than the others. Also you have to take into consideration that i am now using the X5  as my source instead of the X3.

Thanks for the comparisons. The HP50's are well known for their sound quality. Never picked up a set due to reports of comfort issues, but good to know the PM-3s are better. Assuming the PM-3s maintain the comfort of the PM-1 and 2, these may be my next headphone.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #328 of 1,240
^ hmm, ya maybe I interpreted that wrong, but based on all the pics, the PM-3 certainly looks good imo.
I think the driver they are using in the PM-3 is still a similar design as the PM-1/2 drivers, just smaller.
Can't say definitively though, as Oppo hasn't released the details on the driver to the public yet I don't think.
Still though, with all the R&D and engineering already done on the PM-1/2 driver design,
that really would make it cost less to produce a similar driver for the PM-3, and thus allow a lower sale price.
I don't think it really matters though, and the sound/comfort/function/aesthetics of the actual headphone released is
what will make the difference, and I think the PM-3 will be incredible for the price, and sell very well.
:)

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #329 of 1,240
Below is comments from me based on comfort:
Looks like you auditioned similar headphones to me: Sennhesier momentum over ear, B&W P7, PSB M4U2. For me my main decision in deciding not to get the is comfort. Sennhesier momentum over ear for my ear was too small and squashed the top of my ear, hurting after a while, B&W P7 the headband I found not soft and after a while felt pain on the top of my head and the PSB M4U2 I didnt like the clamping force at all. Although comfort is a personal thing, so I am sure others find these really comfortable. 
As for the NAD VISO HP50 I didnt try because it has almost the same size ear-cup as Sennhesier momentum. 
Logitech UE6000 didn't really wrap around my head well, but had no pain.
Sony MDR 1R was extremely comfortable, but sent them back because for portable use I want something that isolates well and doesn't leak the music so everyone hears it.

That leaves a few to test:
Oppo PM-3
Mo-Fi Headphones
Sony MDR-z7
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Hoping Oppo is the one for me :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #330 of 1,240
  Below is comments from me based on comfort:
Looks like you auditioned similar headphones to me: Sennhesier momentum over ear, B&W P7, PSB M4U2. For me my main decision in deciding not to get the is comfort. Sennhesier momentum over ear for my ear was too small and squashed the top of my ear, hurting after a while, B&W P7 the headband I found not soft and after a while felt pain on the top of my head and the PSB M4U2 I didnt like the clamping force at all. Although comfort is a personal thing, so I am sure others find these really comfortable. 
As for the NAD VISO HP50 I didnt try because it has almost the same size ear-cup as Sennhesier momentum. 
Logitech UE6000 didn't really wrap around my head well, but had no pain.
Sony MDR 1R was extremely comfortable, but sent them back because for portable use I want something that isolates well and doesn't leak the music so everyone hears it.

That leaves a few to test:
Oppo PM-3
Mo-Fi Headphones
Sony MDR-z7
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Hoping Oppo is the one for me :)

If it wasn't for the imminent release of the Oppo PM-3's i would seriouosly suggest giving the Viso HP50's a try. I find them quite comfortable for long periods of time (2 hours plus) and the ear cups cover my ears much better and far more completely than the Momentum's and the Oppo PM-3 prototypes for that matter. I have normal to very slightly larger than normal ears.

I tend to prefer a slightly higher amount of clamping force than most and i purchased the NAD's despite not being completely happy with their clamping force. Even though they don't ever feel loose or move around easily i would have preferred that they have a little more clamping force. The pair of PM-3 prototypes that i preferred had more clamping force than the HP50's, but in the short time i had them on my head I certainly wouldn't characterize their clamping force as excessive, but of course a longer audition would be necessary to determine this fully.

Of course in all likelihood the PM-3's will list for about a hundred dollars more than the NAD's, but so do the B&W P7's and I still would have purchased them if I had felt that they performed better than the HP50's. In the case of the PM-3's I feel that the extra hundred bucks is well worth it.

I should mention I was somewhat less impressed with the new Oppo HA-2 portable amp/DAC. Not that it wasn't good I just felt for the price the much less expensive FiiO E12 was a better sonic match for my X5, so I went with that instead. Keep this in perspective however as my time with the HA-2 was very short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back