Option overload: Headphone life awaits, but mildly confused (w/ Valhalla 2)
Jan 20, 2023 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

davstev

New Head-Fier
Hi all -

So I am a primarily a speaker listener.

But recently, I bought a new headphone amp - the Schiit Valhalla 2 with stock tubes. I want to pick up the best headphone, which I know is super subjective. I am considering buying ligthly used Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, mostly. Considering Beyerdynamic (T1 v1 as there's two for sale in my area, DT1770 pro and DT1990 pro), or, Sennheiser (HD6xx, 650, 600), as they are very common on the used market. Of this lot, I have heard only the HD600's.

I Would only consider HD600's only if the Valhalla 2 were to greatly open up the highs a lot more than what I recall hearing on a Little Dot amp a decade ago. I would say the same for the 6xx and 650, if they are similarly veiled. But some people rave about the way the Sennheisers mate with the Valhalla 2; maybe they don't mind a veiled headphone?

New to Beyerdynamic, but clearly they are well made/built ( a step above the Senn's I think?) but apparently a bit disappointing to some in the mids, and to some a bit shrill in the treble. But apparently wonderful with the Valhalla. This is what I gather from online reviews.

I am looking for satisfying all-rounder, not bass-heavy per se, but still satisying, reasonably good to excellent soundstage, and precise, open treble but not fatiquing. Basically, what most audiophiles are looking for.

Please pipe in with your first hand experiences with any of these phones in combination with the Valhalla 2, and what you liked/disliked. If there's a heaphone that marries beautifully or is magical with the Valhalla 2, let me know. Price/value for dollar is important but not paramount as they are all in the afforable range, especially if used.

I would realy value your input, I really don't want to get into a crazy game of buying and selling multiple headphones and/or tubes to try them out and see for myself (not right away, anyway!).

Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back