Ortofon new portable amp: MHd-Q7 photos, impressions, and review
Apr 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #46 of 90
Thanks for your thread, if it was not for it I would have never know about it. 
From what I have read discrete which is well built should provide a better sound and should not alter the sound at all. This means I will hear the sources I connect on their own without any added colouration of the amp itself. 

This should pair nicely with the DD socket 1, I finally hear how MUSES01 sound without the amp altering it too much. 
Quote:
Congrats! I think you will like the MHd-Q7 & you're right, the form factor suits the ODAC nicely as per pix in my review. The only thing was that my mini-2-mini was too long & stiff that I needed bands to hold them together.

To me this is quite an underrated amp. It does the genre of your choice very well with finesse rather than just raw grunt power.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #49 of 90
Quote:
We met yesterday :)!

I missed out. 
frown.gif
 Maybe next time. I could have brought my purple USB LOD.

Back to the MHd-Q7, is this a full discrete amp design?

I'm all for quality over quantity with power.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #51 of 90
My order arrived few hours ago, my MHd-Q7 makes audible "mmmmmm" sound, the background it is nowhere as dark as my O2. Is this normal?

It is no an issue as I dont listen that low but it is there.  I really love its form factor, I think I might finally be able to post something in the portable rig as I think I might have come a little closure to finding the sound I like. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #52 of 90
Mine doesn't make any mmm sound although it's not black but a slight hiss with sensitive IEMs (I think I wrote this in my impressions too - I must check again).

I'm surprised you like the form factor!! Whilst I agree the aesthetics is very beautiful, I find the form factor awkward.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #53 of 90
I love how I stand it up right with volume knob so easily accessible , you know what would be amazing if they release this in future with a DAC built inside it. I like its form factor as it is fresh in my system, I almost never put anything in my pocket as I dont like having stuff in my pocket so the form factor is not a problem at all for me. 

I think the moral of the story is when a company who provides over 90% of the world cartridge decides to make an an amp and an IEM you can be confident they will sound great.

I really hope Ortofon makes more amps in future.

PS: I know if I give this to some DIYers on headfi they would be able to replace some of those caps inside and make this amp really shine.  I am sure replacing the battery with a 9 volt one should be that hard too. This amp can have so much potential with the right DIYer. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #55 of 90
Ortofon Japan makes the amps and earphones - and in talking to the chaps there, I don't think they'll go into DACs anytime soon. It seems their philosophy is to stick to "analogue" (despite their digital cables!?).

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #57 of 90
Quote:
I hope they continue their amp production, can you ask them why they did not want to go ahead with 9 volt battery? 

I've probably missed the post but what's this about 9V batteries?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #58 of 90
In terms of space there is enough space to include a 9V battery, which if designed correctly it can provide more power. However on the other hand even if they wanted they could have used a 9V battery which arguably could provide a longer battery life. 
Quote:

I've probably missed the post but what's this about 9V batteries?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #59 of 90
Quote:
In terms of space there is enough space to include a 9V battery, which if designed correctly it can provide more power. However on the other hand even if they wanted they could have used a 9V battery which arguably could provide a longer battery life. 

I'm going to make a guess that they'd want to have a battery that's USB chargeable. Can a 9V rechargeable battery be charged via USB or will they need to make and supply a separate charging adapter?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #60 of 90
That is a good question, I don't know. That album I wanted to give you to listen to, it sound amazing :-D MHd-Q7 seems to do the acoustic based music more than fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back