Owning 1 vs 2 endgame systems?
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

chrisgee5

Head-Fier
TLDR: I'd value feedback on buying two endgame headphone systems to meet my wide variety of musical tastes. Is that easier than trying to find a compromise to suit all musical styles and recording quality? I have analysis paralysis and would drive myself crazy going too far down the rabbit hole and prefer to buy generally well-regarded gear where "you can't go wrong", even if not "perfect". I've never come across this question in any forum and would happily read elsewhere for anyone that has seen it discussed already.

Brief background. Listen to music all the time. In my office during work and after work for pleasure. Always planned for an endgame music room but I got married and wife kyboshed that, so short of getting a new wife (thoughts?) I am looking at headphones only. I'm 53 so ears aren't perfect. Have visited high end stores when they used to exist and am a complete expert at reading audio forums. LOL. I have baaaaaad analysis paralysis, which is why I'd prefer to get a system(s) that 95% of people say it's unbelievable without trying to get every last ounce of perfection. Completely inane that I listen to Air Pod pros given my interest in music and willingness to invest dollars.

I listen to everything but Jazz - alternative, 80s pop, 80s hair band, country, lots of new-age/post rock, R&B - and classical is limited to soundtracks. So a classical/jazz focus is not the top priority. I appreciate high quality recordings and all they entail but also want to enjoy lower quality sources. I want to get to the point of diminishing returns and stop. I'm very cynical, for example, about super expensive cords.

Do I get two systems, and use different ones depending on the music I am listening to? I won't go more than two. Here's an example of what I am thinking merely based on what I read and how I interpret it, focusing on the mainstream consensus vs. all the bespoke unique offerings that may be great but are not widely "validated". There seems to most consensus on end game headphones, less on Amps, and reading about DACs makes my brain hurt.

Do I get an Abyss 1266 for rock/alternative/R&B and a Susvara for more vocal and acoustic music? Do I get a warmer AMP, maybe tube (Feliks Envy, Enleum ss) and a more clinical AMP (Oor & Hypsos), and combined with a good DAC(s) can I create two systems to mix and match with this gear and combine depending on what I am listening to? I'm assuming I would get gear suited to each headphone based on the music I would listen to on each. Seems like I can get TOTL for ~$7,500 or less on any one headphone, AMP, or DAC, and that would be my per item budget at this point. Value for my money is not my top priority - distinguishable improvement in sounds is.

I'm first and foremost interested in "Is this a good approach, albeit expensive, and easier than trying to meet all my needs in one system.", or am I going about it wrong? One system would obviously be easier than two, but maybe more maddening to try and pick. I won't spend a lot of time, if any, buying and selling, and would rather buy stuff than is generally regarded as really good, call it a day and enjoy.

Thanks for any input.

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 62
Personally, if i was to get 2 end game setups, they would have to be unique. So for me, 2 end game setups would be 1 sus/hek v1 setup, and another one with e-stats (aka, stax), since it actually a different enough experience to warrant spending big money on.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 62
Personally, if i was to get 2 end game setups, they would have to be unique. So for me, 2 end game setups would be 1 sus/hek v1 setup, and another one with e-stats (aka, stax), since it actually a different enough experience to warrant spending big money on.
Thanks much. I had never read much about electrostatics until you brought it up. I did some quick reading, and I can see your point. I'll add it to the consideration list!

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 62
Yes!
Gear should be true to the recording. So one set as neutral as possible will do.
If you want a different coloration, use EQ.
It makes sense to stay true to the recording. Let me ask what you do when the recording is not the best? Do you use a more "forgiving" headphone or some other component to compensate and enjoy the music? I was in a store listening to some focal floorstanders and it was great with his demo music. We played U2 (one of my favorites among many) and it sounded horrible.

Maybe I was equating a warm sound to more forgiving, and assuming warm components would pare better with lesser recordings (which are probably more pop music or older pop/rock that I grew up with). Would seem to be least complicated and most efficient $ to use the same chain up until the headphones, and swap out the headphones based on the music or recording quality. Is that a good way to think about it, or doesn't work that way in reality?

Out of curiosity, how do you EQ a headphone system? I don't read people talking about it and it doesn't seem like there are tone controls like there are on room systems.

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 62
With you budget, I would go for 2 systems for sure. If nothing else, them for the variation, with the amount of listening time you plan to put into your Head-Fi. IMO, listening to the same headphone for a long time, can make it a bit dull, as you adapt to its sound, switching around keep them interesting, as you will get another experience when switching.
I'm no way near the setups you are talking about, but even with my gear, I do enjoy switching (mostly to IEM'S) to prevent my brain from fully adapting to the HE1000's.

Another very important thing, that you don't mention, is comfort. Again, with this many hours on your head, you have to make sure they are super comfortable. As an example a big downside for most Audeze sets for me, is their weight, it not comfortable to me over a long session.

I feel like my HE1000's are great all around headphones, and they will remain my main ones for a long time. But I want to add something that's different, so I can switch to something that excels at some, but might lack a bit in other areas. I'm thinking a nice dynamic driver set with some tube's, to contrast the planar and solid state setup I have.
If I had a large budget, I would most likely get Susvara and a solid state amp that can run them nicely. The other setup could be some ZMF/Meze/Sennheiser with a high end Woo Audio or Cayin amp.

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 62
Yes!
Gear should be true to the recording. So one set as neutral as possible will do.
If you want a different coloration, use EQ.
I respectfully disagree, gear should be for enjoyment. What that means is very subjective, so there is no universal answer IMO.
EQ is great, but there are properties to the sound it cannot change, and if you listen from other sources than a PC, it can get a bit annoying to find ways to add EQ to the chain.

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 62
Thanks much. I had never read much about electrostatics until you brought it up. I did some quick reading, and I can see your point. I'll add it to the consideration list!
My suggestion would be to try and find some stax lambda signature in good condition with an srd-7 energizer. Sony ta-n86b is a very good amp pairing for vintage stax as well if you can source one. I know this is all vintage gear, but they really dont make them like they used to when it comes to e-stats, new e-stats are going in a very different direction (i feel like you can get 95% of new e-stat performance like shang off Arya v1 with a very good amp) :p
Said chain will absolutely massacre any headphone for pure speed and detail, it wont even be close.

Nov 23, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 62
Nov 24, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 62
Well, I'm off! I put the order in today and am excited. I've spent hours at the mall buying a pair of blue pants and wondered if I got the right pair, so this impulsiveness and comfort is my decision is unprecedented. I greatly appreciate the comments, which gave me some clarity to get over the hump and my next steps. This finance guy always needs to know where I'm spending the next dollar. Ha!

I went with a "neutral" chain of Qutest, Orr-Hypsos, and Susvara. That will give me a baseline and I'll figure out if I like coloration by getting a tube amp and a warm DAC next, which all those combinations should help me figure out what sounds I like. At a minimum I should have a spectrum of sonic capabilities. The electro statics are an interesting idea I'll have to look into.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 62
Hello,
If your dream was always your own endgame music room, and If you like bass, I would highly recommend you checking out the 1266 TC if you are up for a challenge when It comes to adjustment torture and high weight. As it seems money is not really an issue here the best would be to call Abyss and discuss your needs and what they recommend. I talked to Joe not long ago and it was a great experience. Many use the 1266 + Susvara as their endgame. Which of course is always a matter of preference.

Even I fully understand that you just want to buy 2/3 endgame systems and be done with it, you might miss out on some spectacular headphones:)

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 62
Oh and if you want a 3rd set I think ZMF could be an interesting option, maybe the caldera is it sits between 1266 and Susvara in my opinion:)

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 62
Hello,
If your dream was always your own endgame music room, and If you like bass, I would highly recommend you checking out the 1266 TC if you are up for a challenge when It comes to adjustment torture and high weight. As it seems money is not really an issue here the best would be to call Abyss and discuss your needs and what they recommend. I talked to Joe not long ago and it was a great experience. Many use the 1266 + Susvara as their endgame. Which of course is always a matter of preference.

Even I fully understand that you just want to buy 2/3 endgame systems and be done with it, you might miss out on some spectacular headphones:)
Thanks pcc. I'm thinking you might be right. The abyss might be a good alternative to the Sus for music that needs more bass and slam. Of course, i might need to do neck strengthening before using. LOL

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 62
Haha yes:) But then give some Hans Zimmer soundtracks a listen and you will forget what you have on your head:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back